Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Knowledge is Power > Wicca 101

Wicca 101 A 6 to 8 week course covering basic topics about what the religion of Wicca is and how you can explore it further.

Old 11-12-11   #31
DonelleBeira

Default Re: 1C. What Do You Like or Dislike About the Intro Material?

To answer the question posed in this thread - "What do you like or dislike about the intro material"......

I really appreciate the straightforward, concise presentation of your post, Ben. In the process of extra reading on Wicca, I see how challenging that must have been. When confused, I could always come back to your post for clarity.

Due to ignorance, I probably don't appreciate the video at the moment as much as others do, or as much as I will in the future, tho I hope I gleaned info that will prove beneficial as we move forward in this course. I see myself returning to it as understanding grows.

As a side note....the Circle used to come in a newsprint format but I see it is now an actual magazine; evidence of the growth talked about in the video.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11   #32
Lightdragon
pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Elf View Post
Technically the Civic State requires a perfect freedom of *worship* for all of it's citizens,a discerning neither between jew nor greek or discrimination by nationality either.

It being cool to disagree or debate points.

At best anyone completely ignorant or with limited self knowledge would view the whole thing,at best,with suspicion or fear which can be sorted as knowledge dispels fear/ignorance.
but you have to prove that it is a form of worship. not just to the state but to common people. as you don't need descrimination or vigilantism.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11   #33
The Black Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdragon View Post
but you have to prove that it is a form of worship. not just to the state but to common people. as you don't need descrimination or vigilantism.
hugging a tree & thanking it for it's shelter from the elements & fuel is a form of worship/appreciation & can be a slippery slope.

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-11   #34
Lightdragon
pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Gruagach View Post
Here's another interesting video that covers Wicca as well as other occult paths. It was filmed in 1984-85 and features quite a number of influential figures in Wicca including Alex Sanders, Margot Adler, Selena Fox (of Circle Sanctuary in the USA), along with many others.

http://vimeo.com/21956578

The film was released under the title "The Occult Experience" and can sometimes be found on DVD. Nevill Drury, a Pagan insider who was one of the key people researching and producing the video, has made it available to view for free on the web through the link I just gave.

The Wiccan community has grown a lot since when this video was filmed but it does provide some interesting information and historical context.

The film is 95 minutes long so give yourself some time if you plan to watch the whole thing.

Edited to add: and please be aware the video covers occult groups that are not Wiccan as well, such as Anton LaVey's Satanists.
I just finished seeing the film. did it in three parts. I would also agree it gives a good history of Wicca in the relatively recent past.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11   #35
feranaja

with regard to Threefold Law: for me it has always been a poetic, rule-of-thumb kind of statement not meant to be taken literally, but more or less a Word to the Wise. People who curse and harm others put great negativity out in the world - and do we need more of that? if nothing else, their unaddressed hatred (whatever it stems from) will eventually eat them up, grossly limit their own potential development. It is easy to throw curses around when you're pissed off, it's much more difficult to centre yourself and meditate, master your impulse, send healing to the person you're angry with. I could cite dozens of personal experiences with this, but I'll be brief; I either stay out of situations I cannot make change for the better or I apply myself to helping. I never, EVER do magic when angry or emotional. (with one exception; I returned an enormous amount of cursing sent my way, once a while back I did, and I was in a Carrie-at-the-prom kind of state, but that was such an insane drama I will call it a justified exception.) Most of the obstacles in life are actually paths. The idea of restraining oneself from using magic destructively is absolutely central to how I practise. The art of transforming that emotion into something benign or healing is never an easy one to master, but it is essential for the development of the Witch.

And trust me, there are days....<g>
I'm off to watch the videos now!

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-13   #36
JunkGypsy

As a complete novice, I'm in no position to critique the intro. I did like the fact that she explains very clearly that there are no central tenets , there is lots of room for individuality.
I believe I found these forums for a reason, it was meant to be, so I'm here to learn. Thanks for being here.
Old 04-18-18   #37
Satyr77

Quote:
Introductions to a topic such as Wicca are by definition going to be general and brief. What do you think about the introduction text and video? Were they helpful to you in getting an idea what Wicca is about? Were there any parts you disagree with and thought they got it wrong?

It's common for newcomers to Wicca to assume that the first material they encounter is automatically universal among Wiccans rather than the specific (sometimes idiosyncratic) teachings of a particular tradition or teacher. Did you see any examples of this in the introductory document or video here? Please identify the example and explain why you think it might not be universal among Wiccans.
Honestly, what I dislike about the plethora of Wicca 101 books is how few authors and witches "think outside the box" and offer something new and intellectually salivating for teachers and readers. Instead, it's as if they are copying everyone else who has come before, rather than trying to put a new spin on Old Hat teachings and techniques. I, for one, would like to see more creativity when Wicca 101/ introductory material is broached.
Satyr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-18   #38
Habilus

Quote:
Introductions to a topic such as Wicca are by definition going to be general and brief. What do you think about the introduction text and video? Were they helpful to you in getting an idea what Wicca is about? Were there any parts you disagree with and thought they got it wrong?

It's common for newcomers to Wicca to assume that the first material they encounter is automatically universal among Wiccans rather than the specific (sometimes idiosyncratic) teachings of a particular tradition or teacher. Did you see any examples of this in the introductory document or video here? Please identify the example and explain why you think it might not be universal among Wiccans.
I respect WICCA as an evoloution of my own path and as a gentle place to learn as you advance to [How to put this without accidently pissing someone off?] deeper things devoid of the religious aspects but retaining the ancient awareness of cosmic morality.
Old 05-15-18   #39
feranaja

Honestly Habilus, having spend over a decade in Wicca,and taken 2 initiations before moving to other paths, I think it goes much deeper at the post-Initiatory level. I think what you are referring to here might be, the Outer Court aspect?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18   #40
The Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Honestly Habilus, having spend over a decade in Wicca,and taken 2 initiations before moving to other paths, I think it goes much deeper at the post-Initiatory level. I think what you are referring to here might be, the Outer Court aspect?
What the fuck is the Outer Court? All these systems... just to keep people out...WHYYYYY??????!!!

Sincerely ,

the Russian bot, aka, the Troll
The Troll is offline   Reply With Quote