Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Knowledge is Power > Runelore

Runelore This 8-10 week course will combine runelore with exercises and stories from the runic pathway. Its emphasis lies on reconnecting the runes with the everyday life they were once a part of, using the runes for divinatory purposes and creating small-scale energywork with their presences. Open to all levels of learning."

Old 10-10-11   #1
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Default Introduction Post for Runelore

Welcome to ESF's first-ever course in runes! It originated as the idea for a beginner's course that would centre itself around the runes and their divinatory purposes. As I was developing the lesson plans, however, it quickly became apparent that the course was turning into the full-fledged practice I have studied throughout the years. I am really excited to be able to share this study with you.

Before we start out on our journey, I would like to know more about you and why you've chosen this course to study. What draws you to the runes? Have you ever worked with them before, or is this your first-ever experience with them? What do you hope to learn and take away from this course? Are you mainly focusing on the runes as divinatory tools, or is there a possibility for a much broader approach to them? How would you assess yourself as a student? Do you mainly respond intuitively, or rationally? Does practice need to be tangible and physical for you, or would you rather engage in a ratio-based theoretical approach?

It is also, of course, time to 'introduce' myself. Everyone will have seen me run around ESF before, so I will not start with the basics. I have chosen to teach this course because runelore is something that is very dear to me. I received my call from the Norse deity Odin, to whom the runes are connected intimately, when I was about 11 years old. In the 11 years that followed the call, I have made my way through endless theory and intuitive hands-on practice alike. I have opted to condense a large section of my studies into the 8-10 weeks we'll spend together. We will not get through everything I know, but we'll make a good start.

The role of teacher is one that is new to me. I have always been an avid student, although I also have a certain love of procrastination at times. I work hard and push myself to my limits when I am trying to learn things that have taken my interest. I personally spend a lot of time with theory before I move onto practice, but this course will mix the two together from the start. I'll be available to talk with you regularly throughout the week. (I'm not a boggart of a teacher, even though the material will be quite extensive. )

Let's get this party on the road, shall we?
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11   #2
Sacred
Forever changing...

Default Re: Introduction Post for Runelore

What draws you to the runes?
I'm drawn to all types of Divination. The runes just call to me.

Have you ever worked with them before, or is this your first-ever experience with them?
I've worked with them in my own way before. I've read about them and drawn them in spells. I've not used my actual runes before (as in throwing them).

What do you hope to learn and take away from this course?
How to fully use and interpret them.

Are you mainly focusing on the runes as divinatory tools, or is there a possibility for a much broader approach to them?
As of right now, mainly divination, if anything else pops up it'll be shown to me during this course.

How would you assess yourself as a student? Do you mainly respond intuitively, or rationally?
As long as it keeps my interest and info comes regularly, I'm a great student. I respond both ways, but I'm big on intuition.

Does practice need to be tangible and physical for you, or would you rather engage in a ratio-based theoretical approach?
I like a bit of both

Sacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11   #3
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Before we start out on our journey, I would like to know more about you and why you've chosen this course to study.

I always seek out knowledge and perspectives from others that I might not normally consider. I enjoy topics that make me utilize my mind and lay the foundation for me to see beyond the material of the middle world and look to the non-material facets of it.

While not specifically rune's I've drawn certain symbols all my life. Some I've been told are runecraft but nothing more than that.

That and there has always been a lingering interst in them ever since I stood before old stone carvings in Scotland and looked upon the engraved rune's and other symbols.

Have you ever worked with them before, or is this your first-ever experience with them?

Only in the sense of dabbling.

That is more difficult to state. If I recall correctly Odin hung upon the Tree to discover the secret of the Rune's and was tested in the obtainment and learning of them. In some ways I think it is the testing that shall unfold and perhaps connect back to a facet of my ancestry and a wind tossed stretch of land called the Hebridies Islands.

Are you mainly focusing on the runes as divinatory tools, or is there a possibility for a much broader approach to them?

At this point in time I truly do not know.

How would you assess yourself as a student?

Inpatient

Do you mainly respond intuitively, or rationally?

Really depends upon the situation and stimulus. Many times intuitively. My personality is Introvert, Sensing, Thinking, Judgemental (ISTJ) so I tend to dwell on an issue internally then speak.

Does practice need to be tangible and physical for you, or would you rather engage in a ratio-based theoretical approach?

Truthfuly depends upon the scope of the application and expectations.
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11   #4
windspirit

What draws me..........Been circling them since my twenties . Earth wisdom .

I have trifled with them, made my own set from oak wood 30 years ago and still have that set. Runes and Ogham seem to be important to where I need to go.

I would like to be more familiar with runes and interpret them.

I think runes hold a lot of answers for me and I am most definitely intuitive.

No answer to the last question ; would probably prefer tangible . Let's see.
Old 10-10-11   #5
feranaja

I want to be very forthright in saying; I am not especially *drawn* to them. early on in my quest for focus I decided that I'd combine the intellectual history of the WMT (Tarot) with the intuitive earth based knowledge of plants; thus, tarot and herbalism have been my main areas of focus outside of magic itself (another story). I worked always with the flora and fauna of this place, and this time - and runes seemed magically interesting, but not as close to my Celtic, North American heart as some other forms of magic. yet I feel some draw lately I cannot explain. It's been a longstanding tradition for me to follow these intuitions, and so - here I am. I believe in the power of knowledge, and that any learning is important. I look forward to opening my heart to this system, even if it doesn't equate to a fully engaged practise such as I enjoy with Tarot. It's still knowledge. It's still important.

I did some basic training back in the 70s with a teacher and honestly? Not since then, at all.

What do you hope to learn and take away from this course? Are you mainly focusing on the runes as divinatory tools, or is there a possibility for a much broader approach to them?

I see the schism between the mystical and the divinatory as false. As a wise man once said to me "tell me your dreams and I'll tell you your past - and your future". I would simply open myself to the exprience, context and process here and see what develops. Meaning is everywhere, once we understand how to see it. This is a different system for me, so it's exciting.

How would you assess yourself as a student? Do you mainly respond intuitively, or rationally?

In my years of tarot work I have learned to balance both. I rely n intellect frst - I use reason as a sounding board and anchor to serve as a rational check to intuition; I use intuition to inform logic-based decisions. For me, the unification of these faculties is one of THE most important goals of any system of study. Intellect alone is dry and limited and intuition is notoriously unreliable in cases where the self is involved. I like to believe I am close to balanced, but my go-to faculty, as a Gemini and a longtime hardcore student of the mysteries - is the intellect. It serves as a check and balance system for anyone claiming anything to be true - because they felt it was. I will learn the runes inside out and pattern them intellectually long before I share my mystical insights with the world.

I do both. I've seen excess on either side enough to be careful not to allow myself to fall victim to either of them. I read, study, discipline my mind; and, I sit listening to the voice of the wind. This has served me well so far and I expect I will do much the same in your course.
And thank you for the energy, knowldge and commitment you are giving to doing this, too. It is appreciated!

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11   #6
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

Im not sure really ive just always sort of liked them, was more interested in them after i had a dream about getting a set of orange carnelian ones in a white bag

first time ever, i did buy a set in a mini kit from barnes and noble but i havent done anything with them yet

UNderstanding of what they are, how they work, how to read and interpret them, some history behind the runes

Um not sure i do want to learn how to "divinate" with them, but i do like to take anything im am atleast slightly versed in and add it as "icing on the cake" so to speak in the stories i write so i might incorporate some runelore we learn here or a basic readin or somethin in the future

depends on the situation, if its a class like my gene manipulation definately rationally, if its tarot or any sort of metaphysical everyday setting im a big user of intuition

not sure im usuely a better hands on learner though

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11   #7
Frater SCS

My experience has been mainly within the western esoteric tradition, but I've always been fascinated by Norse mythology and such. That framework always seemed to be more "otherworldly" and magical than what I normally work with.

This will be my first real experience-I've pages through books, but never studied intently or put anything into practice. At the very least, I'm looking to expand my knowledge-it's a drive of mine.

I'm looking forward to a broader approach, although I will happily learn divination techniques.
Probably more rationally than I should.

I learn more efficiently with a tangible approach, but unfortunately I seem to default to a theoretical study of things. That's one reason I am pleased to join the class, if I just got some books and attempted to teach myself I wouldn't hold myself as accountable to do the work.
Old 10-11-11   #8
RoseRed
Christian Witch

They call to me.

I've worked with them magickally but was never able to use them for divination.

I lost a lot of memories in a really horrific car accident. Hopefully, I'll be able to remember what I once knew and learn more than I had before.

I don't know - we'll see how it unfolds.

My first response is usually intuitive. I'm hoping to broaden that.

It depends.

I'm mostly going to follow and read along. I can't say right now how much I'll be participating.
Old 10-11-11   #9
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Can I just say that the response so far is heartwarming, slightly awe-inspiring and such a wonderful vibration to feel? I find so much recognition in your answers to this thread. It is interesting to see that we have such a great mixture of people getting involved in this course: rational, intuitive, go-with-the-flow.. simply magical!

Some replies that stood out for me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacred
I've read about them and drawn them in spells. I've not used my actual runes before (as in throwing them).
Love that you've already made progress on spellwork with runes! It took me quite some time to get into that part of the lore. I think you'll enjoy the later parts of the course especially, from throwing and casting to bindrunes and energywork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra
If I recall correctly Odin hung upon the Tree to discover the secret of the Rune's and was tested in the obtainment and learning of them. In some ways I think it is the testing that shall unfold and perhaps connect back to a facet of my ancestry and a wind tossed stretch of land called the Hebridies Islands.

That's a pretty correct recall, yes. We'll look into that particular experience as soon as we've studied the runes a little more in-depth. I think that the testing and the likeness to 'sacrifice' is a very interesting pathway to explore, especially in light of initiation and 'what has come before'. The people who once used the runes stood upon the land I stand upon now, for instance.. That's the kind of ancestral power that unfolds without pause during such a study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windspirit
I think runes hold a lot of answers for me and I am most definitely intuitive.
I am looking forward to uncovering some of those answers with you. Would be very interested to learn the 'questions', too, as we dive deeper into the course.. oftentimes the question is the answer in runelore..

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja
I see the schism between the mystical and the divinatory as false. As a wise man once said to me "tell me your dreams and I'll tell you your past - and your future". I would simply open myself to the exprience, context and process here and see what develops. Meaning is everywhere, once we understand how to see it. This is a different system for me, so it's exciting.
I have never seen a schism between those two for as long as I've been alive. I must say, however, that any runework seems to vibrate along with the Earth. The answers received through runic divination are the unveiling of actual energies at work in our environment. They're very much practical answers -- never dealing in the realm of 'what if' for too long, because every man is master of all things past and future except life and death. It is too early to give meaning to what has brought you here, but I think that your work as a steward of this Earth would have brought you to this road sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkWahya
Um not sure i do want to learn how to "divinate" with them, but i do like to take anything im am atleast slightly versed in and add it as "icing on the cake" so to speak in the stories i write so i might incorporate some runelore we learn here or a basic readin or somethin in the future
May there be plentiful icing on that cake to come! I'm fond of telling stories myself, so I definitely relate to that approach. I have written things for as long as I can remember and always seem to incorporate things like runelore inside the more fantastical tales. Really interesting that you seem to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater SCS
My experience has been mainly within the western esoteric tradition, but I've always been fascinated by Norse mythology and such. That framework always seemed to be more "otherworldly" and magical than what I normally work with.
Oh yes, I always had the same sort of fascination when I was younger. I think that the Norse myths are more 'human' than most. Even the use of runes and magic was always aimed at practical purposes, which is why they were used so much as a language rather than simply magical sticks. I always say that the runes became alive because they were used so freely and were so widespread in all levels of society. The otherworldliness of the Norse myth is something that 'helps' in the more advanced runic practices, so we'll be visiting that sort of thing as well.

(And I so hear you on the last part of your post. I do reasonably well at teaching myself, but fact is that this runestuff also took half my life to learn because I'm a procrastinator and need a good kick up my you-know-what sometimes. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRed
Hopefully, I'll be able to remember what I once knew and learn more than I had before.
Really sorry to hear about that accident. I hope that your memories will continue to evolve and grow: the fact that the runes call to you says more than enough, in my opinion. Would love to see you in the threads sometimes, or hear from you later in the course to see if there's been any change..
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11   #10
Nacken

What draws you to the runes? I remember reading stories about runes in mythology. Then years later I saw the actual runic shapes and noticed that they give off energies.

Yes I've read about them, but haven't worked at it enough to memorize them or get a good feel for their associations.
What do you hope to learn and take away from this course? Some incentive to get me to work with runes enough that I can use them.

I do want to be able to use them for divination, but am also fascinated with using bind runes.
How would you assess yourself as a student? I start slowly, then leap ahed once things click for me.
Do you mainly respond intuitively, or rationally? I am too analytical and not intuitive enough generally.

Does practice need to be tangible and physical for you, or would you rather engage in a ratio-based theoretical approach? I'm not totally sure what you mean by that, but I like theory and working with my hands equally.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote