Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Practical Magic

Practical Magic A forum for sharing techniques of practical magic

Old 01-30-12   #11
feranaja

Default Re: Thughts on why you shouldn't cast a love spell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThing View Post
While I don't dispute that this is the case for you Mylio (why would I), stating that this is, or should be, the case for everyone is delusional at best, dictatorial at worst. It's no different than me saying that a relationship is irrelevant and worth nothing unless you are having 'blow the top off your head' sex multiple times a day.

Different strokes for different folks.
Rep. Understanding that people are on different paths and should be understood, not informed or told what to do, is the root and foundation of wisdom.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12   #12
DonelleBeira

Quote:
One last note, for full disclosure: I don't get the whole, "sex is SOOOO important for every relationship, and that's how you know you're in love, and also, if you have LOTS of sex, you'll love each other MORE!!" thing.
A thought for consideration - this type of thinking could easily be a learned behavior as a result of sexual abuse, a child witnessing sexual acts and/or abuse, observing a parent who operates this way, an attachment disorder...and something a person will have to unlearn in order to have any chance at a "normal" relationship.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12   #13
feranaja

or, you know, sex might be just an important thing for that individual...I think (FWIW) as many people shut down towards sex as a result of abuse, as do over-emphasize it.

Shane Parrish
Old 01-30-12   #14
DonelleBeira

This is quite true, Fera.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
by Tad Williams
Old 01-30-12   #15
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Rep. Understanding that people are on different paths and should be understood, not informed or told what to do, is the root and foundation of wisdom.
I would disagree to a degree. Animal sacrifice was once a part of my pathway so by your statement and position I should not be told or informed I shouldn't perform said acts.

Human sacrifice was once potentially a valid facet of the goddess I follow (see Artemis Tauropolis) but again if I follow your statement then one should not be told or informed it shouldn't be done.

Personaly I think wisdom comes from speaking on those things that are socialy and / or ethically wrong, considering ones position on those things that may or may not be preceived as wrong and recognizing that others may differ but we still have a responsibility to speak up. But also realize that social / ethical / religious / spiritual constraints will vary by person and influences that have acted upon their development. *Darn run on sentenance*
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12   #16
feranaja

What I meant there was, before we jump in and announce what should and shouldn't be, we should understand the motivations, context and meaning of the situation for the individual. I'm not including criminal acts here; even with the things you mention - illegal and taboo in our modern world, thankfully - we should strive to understand. To simply announce things like " sex isn't important to ME, ergo it's not that important overall" is a statement of a whole other level. I don't believe we can compare culturally consensual crimes, like murder and animal abuse, with deciding for others how they ought to feel and behave with regard to relationships.

For me, wisdom consist of many things, but discernment is a big part of it. Discerning the difference between a taboo/criminal act such as murder, and the tendency of people these days not to ask, listen and understand, would fall into that category.

I believe greatly in speaking out about what I believe to be wrong. I also believe greatly in listening to others, gathering in what they have said, asking more about their experience, learning their perspective etc before offering advice, or presuming to tell them what they *should or shouldn't* be doing. In short, what I said here was, a great part of wisdom is learning to ask, explore, understand before you advise. And, I stand by that.

Shane Parrish
Old 01-30-12   #17
Feyhu
The Wanderer

love spells are taboo for a reason.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Feyhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12   #18
Fethenwen

I could tell you that I think that I might have had my hand in the way that things turned out between two of my friends. Everyone were talking how these two single nerds would be perfect for each other and we tried to sort of "usher" them on, but they were so shy towards one another.

So I made a love potion to spice things up a little bit, I actually managed to serve this drink to these two without them suspecting anything. Either it was the love potion or just a chance of events but after just two days these two were all over each other

Many years later they are still together, such a lovely couple

Love spells can as others have said, be morally good, if they are not meant to ensnare someone. Give something a little helping hand or a push does seldom hurt anyone.
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12   #19
DonelleBeira

I wonder if the person who was "captured" via a spell would feel disharmony in the relationship? If they would feel something wasn't right but not exactly what? I wonder if it wouldn't be similar to passing out for some reason and waking up to find oneself behind bars for a crime they don't remember committing?

by Tad Williams
Old 01-30-12   #20
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
What I meant there was, before we jump in and announce what should and shouldn't be, we should understand the motivations, context and meaning of the situation for the individual.
Oh I agree with that. I would hope everyone would take the time to discuss and observe before advising. Then when they do advise admit it is just thier perspective of the situation or example and that they just might be wrong.

Quote:
For me, wisdom consist of many things, but discernment is a big part of it. Discerning the difference between a taboo/criminal act such as murder, and the tendency of people these days not to ask, listen and understand, would fall into that category.
I think we have always agreed on this facet of things.

Quote:
I believe greatly in speaking out about what I believe to be wrong. I also believe greatly in listening to others, gathering in what they have said, asking more about their experience, learning their perspective etc before offering advice, or presuming to tell them what they *should or shouldn't* be doing. In short, what I said here was, a great part of wisdom is learning to ask, explore, understand before you advise. And, I stand by that.
Oh I'd be standing next to you on this facet of things. Saddly a facet that seems to be ignored far to often today. Advise, advise, advise with to little asking questions to actually see what is being considered or exploring to see what is actually going on.
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote