Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > Gender and Identity > GLBTIQA

GLBTIQA Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender issues and discussions.

Old 10-07-13   #1
Bartmanhomer

Default Homosexuals raising a child

Do you think it's normal to have two homosexuals raising a child?
Bartmanhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-13   #2
Lightdragon
pagan

Default Re: Homosexuals raising a child

um yes.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-13   #3
TheThing
Philanthropic Misanthrope

Yes.

"I am an insane lunatic, and you will all do my bidding." - feranaja, pretending to be me.

When I'm posting in a moderate fashion I'll be Red in the face.
TheThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-13   #4
David_2010

Yes, just as normal as 2 straight people, or a single parent.
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-13   #5
feranaja

I suspect you mean, do we think it's acceptable, healthy, good? yes?
in which case I'd say it's all of those - provided the two people are good loving parents - exactly the same as I'd say about a hetero couple raising kids.
What matters is, how kind and loving the parents are, not their gender. Gay couples raising kids is vastly more "normal" socially than it used to be, but there is still a way to go. ..

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13   #6
StoneSeer

um, yes. Yes I do.

Visit me at http://tarotkristy.com/

"Evolution is a tightly coupled dance, with life and the material environment as partners. From the dance emerges the entity Gaia." - James Lovelock
StoneSeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13   #7
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
I suspect you mean, do we think it's acceptable, healthy, good? yes?
in which case I'd say it's all of those - provided the two people are good loving parents - exactly the same as I'd say about a hetero couple raising kids.
What matters is, how kind and loving the parents are, not their gender. Gay couples raising kids is vastly more "normal" socially than it used to be, but there is still a way to go. ..
This.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13   #8
petrus4
Leaper

The politically correct answer around here will be an immediate yes, but personally I'm not going to say yes or no, and the reason why is because I haven't read anything about what the effects are, so I'm not qualified to answer the question.

I read one article a bit back which suggested that there was a positive outcome for one child in particular, which was a good thing; but like I said, I'm unaware of the existence of studies on it.

The other problem with research into homosexuality, on either the pro or anti side of the argument, is that it is almost unavoidably biased. Those who are sympathetic to it will claim to have science on their side, and fundamentalist Christians who are opposed to it, will claim likewise. So it is virtually impossible to get the real truth.

With that said, I just found this on Reddit as well, which seems genuinely shocking:-

http://www.14news.com/story/23585565...aving-two-dads. I don't believe that things like this should be happening.

Last edited by petrus4; 10-08-13 at 07:11 AM.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13   #9
Kokaba'al

Children benefit from having multiple adult influences in their lives, regardless of their gender. If a couple is committed to raising a kid, then I see nothing wrong with it - and you can bet that many of the gay couples wanting to adopt would make better parents than enormous swathes of straight couples, who often end up having kids as a failed attempt to patch an ever more broken relationship, or simply have kids because it's something to do or they're too lazy to upkeep their own contraception. There are SO MANY kids born into straight families that are not particularly wanted, or well-treated, and are often raised in an environment that erodes their self worth. At least, with a gay couple, you can guarantee they're ready to do the prolonged, hard work that raising kids takes - you wouldn't jump through the millions of hoops that adoption (or custody battles) bring about if it was merely a passing phase.

I knew a lady who was poly-amorous and gay - she had two female partners, and they all shared a house together. She had children from a previous marriage, and the children lived together in the same home as the woman and her two partners. The kids damn well loved it, because they had not one, not two - but three different adults to pester - three adults that could help them with homework, three adults to seek comfort from when things weren't so great, and so on. The fact they were all women didn't make the slightest bit of difference, and the kids grew up to be strong, well rounded people that were always very warm and accepting of others, regardless of their sexuality, history, etc etc. Absolutely fantastic bunch of kids, actually, I wish all youngsters could turn out so well!
Old 10-08-13   #10
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokaba'al View Post
I knew a lady who was poly-amorous and gay - she had two female partners, and they all shared a house together. She had children from a previous marriage, and the children lived together in the same home as the woman and her two partners. The kids damn well loved it, because they had not one, not two - but three different adults to pester - three adults that could help them with homework, three adults to seek comfort from when things weren't so great, and so on. The fact they were all women didn't make the slightest bit of difference, and the kids grew up to be strong, well rounded people that were always very warm and accepting of others, regardless of their sexuality, history, etc etc. Absolutely fantastic bunch of kids, actually, I wish all youngsters could turn out so well!
That does sound extremely positive.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote