Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Creative Spirituality

Creative Spirituality A forum to discuss emergent and eclectic spiritual practices, traditions and personal paths

Old 10-28-15   #21
feranaja

Default Re: ..and the other burning question of the day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigidrose View Post
New Age is just a label, you cannot keep lumping what you think is all new age into it.
I don't see it as a "label" any more than Druidry is "just a label". There are different types of Druidry but it is always united by some beliefs...as is the case with the New Age. I'm not using a label casually, indiscriminately, I'm using it to identify a set of core values and beliefs. Which are easily identified...

Quote:
Rituals are also asking for things and getting what you want, with all that come with that.
Among other things.

Quote:
Yes you have all your precious animals and now cannot travel because you feel no one will take care of them like you do. We have our practice and feel that no one will take care of our patients like we do. But if you want something badly enough you will make the necessary changes to get it, and usually the other side of the coin as well.
Absolutely. And I got mine by working and focusing, which go hand in hand, nothing esoteric there.

Quote:
As far as rape, suicide, molestation's, I do not have a response most will accept. To me from what I have learned is varying degrees of beliefs and understanding, lack of guidance, lack of maybe knowing the light within or power within and soul experiences.
So - are you saying these terrible things ARE the fault or responsibility of those who suffer them? Just so I'm clear. Forgive me if i have that wrong but it does sound that way. So, maybe children who are raped didn't have knowledge of the Inner Light? I'm pretty sure you can't be suggesting that.

Quote:
What if all of this is about the soul experience? Form the moment we are born male or female we are all experiencing something different, throw race, creed, religious beliefs and then all the interactions from man to man woman to woman because it may affect anyone of us, just like this convo.
Well, I do think humans have a soul, and that how we interpret our experience and what we choose to focus n will affect our life, and also radiate out towards others. I just stop at the part that says EVERYTHING is under our control and when tragedies happen, it's meant to be, so the person who suffered could "learn". That's not an acceptable response to the problem of human suffering to me, at all. But, maybe that's not what you are saying.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15   #22
feranaja

I HAVE heard New Agers say things like the Jews had to go through the Holocaust "to learn" and to teach humanity a lesson. Now if that doesn't make you lose your lunch, I don't know what would.

Shane Parrish
Old 10-28-15   #23
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I have heard that as well...whose to say. Is it horrific, yes, I hope we make sure it does not happen again...
I believe we come to learn and experience. Most is under our control, but we are on the Earth, so I am sure there are many things we cannot even begin to grasp or control. We can control ourselves. Most will not look at that, but eventually they will, maybe in another life time.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15   #24
Brigidrose
Mermaid

And.... I still love and respect you, your thoughts and your values. There are not many who I can say that about these days.
I might not be able to express my beliefs in words but they are dear to me. I also do like to add and expand them as well.

Old 10-28-15   #25
feranaja

I am very shaken by some of this..."who's to say?" regarding the Holocaust?? - so maybe the Jews DID just choose to be tortured and killed?

The whole thing scares me. I hope you understand when I post it is not aimed at you. It's something I feel very strongly about, and as much as anyone has their freedom to post what they believe, so do I. And I believe many people are just not thinking their New Age beliefs through carefully.

You may not want to hear it, but I hope others will.

I have almost no friends left after this year, almost all because I spoke my own truth. Nothing fazes me anymore. But I certainly do not want to argue this on a personal level. I simply believe we need more compassion, more care for each other, more true spirituality, if we are to move ahead and stop all the destruction capitalism has wrought. That we cannot CONCEIVABLY entertain notions like, well, maybe the Jews were asking for it - we have to think about why the Germans manifested evil on that scale.

NOBODY but nobody manifested torture disease and rape because they weren't thinking properly. and more than wearing a sexy dress makes you a target.

Anyway, I feel a bit sick, actually physically unwell from this. I'll step out of it for a bit. I'm pretty good with words, usually - but I'm at a loss on this one.

Shane Parrish
Old 10-28-15   #26
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Did you even read what I wrote ?

Old 10-28-15   #27
feranaja

What do you mean? I responded directly to it.

Shane Parrish
Old 10-28-15   #28
feranaja

about the Holocaust, you write:
Quote:
I have heard that as well...whose to say.

Shane Parrish
Old 10-28-15   #29
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

The New Age has its roots in the likes of Annie Besant and Theosophy. However it has grown from there. Modern new age movements can be easily identified: earth angels, indigo children, LoA, transcendence (specific new age use of the term).

The new age movement then often makes it up as it goes along. I myself don't buy into anything that has zero roots in tradition. For example all forms of Qabbala involve Angelic consciousness.... Any Qabbalah that doesn't is only good for throwing away. Earth Angels declare that Angels are coming to earth and incarnating. Now... There is zero tradition for this. Men becoming angels... See the Enoch tradition. But angels becoming people? Nope.

When a spiritual concept has no history... No basis in tradition I would argue its just made up to sell things.
Now magic praxis can be revealed, I've been in a room and the faery told the leader of the group what we were doing next.... Which subsequently became a part of a book. This differs to simply making it up though.

Ideas such as new age transcendence.... "Everyone is going to wake up and the universe will be filled with warm fuzzy spiritual stuff" only show the tenuous link between fundamental Christianity waiting for the Antichrist/end of days and the new age movement as a whole.

Alien chat tends to bug me as well. It is like some people have never inner walked.

Paganism as I told a pupil of mine recently "magic uses what is there, the sky, the land, the stars..... Paganism then celebrates and embraces that which we walk upon as opposed to promoting escape.

As for surface magic as it has been referred to ..or "getting stuff" I'll say this... Not wanting to offend anyone... But this is largely a small blip in what is the ongoing unfolding perennial western tradition. The mainstream "surface" magic... While popular now... Will EVENTUALLY lead us back to the origins of magic.... In a new way. Transformation of the macro and micrcosmos. In this way there is often little difference between east and west... Although the largest differences are of course in the west we greatly Value other worlds and the interaction of non corporeal beings.

In summary... There IS a new age movement that can be easily seen (angels, indigos etc.) Which compared to actual spirituality... By and large is superficial short lived and often nonsense.

Spirituality is scary..... Not vapid.

When most think of the word magick they think Crowley's definition or similar. I tend to think of WG Gray who linked it to the Latin Magister.... To master. Self mastery.

No matter how hard you try... The wind will still blow tomorrow... And you can't hold back the sea no matter how loud you shout

"He," I answered, "who loves to contemplate truth…who is able to arrive at whatever remains ever constant. He who is capable of seeing the Whole is a philosopher; he who is not, is not."

Plato (Republic, V, 475; VI, 481-485)

Last edited by mr cheese; 10-29-15 at 12:16 AM.
mr cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15   #30
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

There is no Natural Religion. . . . As all men are alike (though infinitely various),

so all Religions, as all similars, have one source.

William Blake
….

Tolerance, then, is a merely negative virtue, demanding no sacrifice of spiritual pride and involving no abrogation of our sense of superiority; it can be commended only in so far as it means that we shall refrain from hating or persecuting others who differ or seem to differ from ourselves in habit or belief. Tolerance still allows us to pity those who differ from ourselves, and are consequently to be pitied!

. Tolerance, carried further, implies indifference, and becomes intolerable. Our proposal is not that we should tolerate heresies, but rather come to some agreement about the truth. Our proposition is that the proper objective of an education in comparative religion should be to enable the pupil to discuss with other believers the validity of particular doctrines, leaving the problem of the truth or falsity, superiority or inferiority, of whole bodies of doctrine in abeyance until we have had at least an opportunity to know in what respects they really differ from one another, and whether in essentials or in accidentals.

We take it for granted, of course, that they will inevitably differ accidentally, since “nothing can be known except in the mode of the knower.”One must at least have been taught to recognize equivalent symbols, e.g., rose and lotus (Rosa Mundi and Padmāvatī); that Soma is the “bread and water of life”; or that the Maker of all things is by no means accidentally, but necessarily a “carpenter”wherever the material of which the world is made is hylic. The proposed objective has this further and immediate advantage, that it is not in conflict with even the most rigid Christian orthodoxy; it has never been denied that some truths are embodied in the pagan beliefs, and even St. Thomas Aquinas was ready and willing to find in the works of the pagan philosophers “extrinsic and probable proofs”of the truths of Christianity.

He was, indeed, acquainted only with the ancients and with the Jews and some Arabians; but there is no reason why the modern Christian, if his mental equipment is adequate, should not learn to recognize or be delighted to find in, let us say, Vedantic, Sufi, Taoist, or American Indian formulations extrinsic and probable proofs of the truth as he knows it. It is more than probable, indeed, that his contacts with other believers will be of very great advantage to the Christian student in his exegesis and understanding of Christian doctrine; for though himself a believer, this is in spite of the nominalist intellectual environment in which he was born and bred, and by which he cannot but be to some degree affected;

while the Oriental (to whom the miracles attributed to Christ present no problem) is still a realist, born and bred in a realistic environment, and is therefore in a position to approach Plato or St. John, Dante or Meister Eckhart more simply and directly than the Western scholar who cannot but have been affected to some extent by the doubts and difficulties that force themselves upon those whose education and environment have been for the greater part profane.

Martin Lings (the spirit of the times)
….
Hylic: “Of matter.” Can be thought of as a level of thinking, dealing with the lowest portion of human nature. It is considered living by instinctual drives with no sublimation. Hylics, choikus, sarkics, etc. are said to be below ‘Psychics’ which are below ‘Gnostokoi,’ the highest order of transcendence according to Valentinian and other Gnostic teaching. The world of the psychic, is still in the realm of the hylics in most Gnostic scenarios because existence in the earthly state separates one from the pleroma. (See; Psychic, Kenoma. Pleroma.)

The “Hylic”, corresponds to “Hyle” or gross manifestation, and is
represented by individuals who see nothing beyond “form”, or material
existence.

"He," I answered, "who loves to contemplate truth…who is able to arrive at whatever remains ever constant. He who is capable of seeing the Whole is a philosopher; he who is not, is not."

Plato (Republic, V, 475; VI, 481-485)

mr cheese is offline   Reply With Quote