Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Qabalah

Qabalah Qabalah , Kabbalah, Cabala, Kcebealla , and all correspondences , trees , and methods of meditation and magical practices, including pathworking the trees

Old 07-27-10   #1
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

Default J Swart on Angels

for all my bluster not that good..but there..as promised...

I'll see if I can find more

When God gave the Torah to Israel,
He opened the seven heavens for them,
and they saw that in reality there was nothing but His glory;
He opened the seven earths for them and they saw that there was nothing but His glory;
He opened the seven abysses for them, and they saw that there was nothing but his Glory.

---Séfer ha-rimmon,The Book of the Pomegranate by Moses de Leon de Granada, 1287.

I have familiarised myself with the broad basis of "traditional attributes" made to the four "Archangels of Quarters," I have personally selected to follow the system I learned from my late mentor, William G. Gray, and have explained my reasons for doing so in my "Book of Self Creation." (http://www.scribd.com/doc/13535936/Swart-Jacobus-G-The-Book-of-Self-Creation-Introduction-Extracts-Bibliography)For what it's worth, here is the relevant extract from that work:

"In Kabbalah the 'Four Elements' have been attributed to the four letters of the Ineffable Name, four Archangels, four Sefirot, four directions, the four seasons, the four phases of the Moon, etc., etc. However, attempting to find a uniform set of attributions from primary Kabbalistic literature is extremely difficult, since there have been major differences of opinion in this regard. In fact, nowhere does the statement 'there is only one thing Kabbalists agreed upon and that is that they don’t agree,' apply more accurately than in this instance.

In many instances authors were dealing with the topic from a single perspective alone, without consideration of any 'broader implications,' so to speak. As a case in point, consider the traditional bedtime prayer (Kriat Sh’ma al ha-Mitah) from the Siddur (Hebrew prayer book). Here we find the invocation 'To my right Michael and to my left Gavriel, in front of me Uriel and behind me Rafael, and above my head Shechinat El.' This portion of the evening prayer is claimed to be based on Midrash Bamidbar Rabbah 2:10 and the Pirke d’Rabbi Eliezer 4:1.

Now, in this night-time prayer the four archangels are aligned with the "position of service" each archangel held around the 'Throne of Glory' in early Jewish mysticism, e.g. as depicted in the large merkavistic portion of the Pirke d’Rabbi Eliezer, where we read (4:1) 'Four classes of ministering angels minister and utter praise before the Holy One, blessed be He: the first camp (led by) Michael on His right, the second camp (led by) Gavriel on His left, the third camp (led by) Uriel before Him, and the fourth camp (led by) Rafael behind Him; and the Shechinah of the Holy One, blessed be He, is in the centre.'

"He," I answered, "who loves to contemplate truth…who is able to arrive at whatever remains ever constant. He who is capable of seeing the Whole is a philosopher; he who is not, is not."

Plato (Republic, V, 475; VI, 481-485)

mr cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10   #2
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

Default Re: J Swart on Angels

Here it is clear that Michael is in attendance to the right of the 'Throne of Glory,' hence is guarding our right; Gabriel to the left, thus guarding our left; Uriel [Auriel] to the front, and guarding our front; and lastly Rafael, positioned behind the 'Throne of Glory,' is protecting our rear. Keep in mind these attributions were made in very early Midrashim some centuries prior to the appearance of the Sefer ha-Zohar, and long before the Tree of Life was fully formulated in its current order.

If one is facing East while uttering this bedtime invocation, the positions of the four Archangels would naturally be Michael in the South, Gabriel in the North, Uriel in the East and Rafael in the West, and this set of attributions is in fact maintained in some Kabbalistic writings. However, inspecting the positions of the archangels in Midrash Bamidbar Rabba (2:10), considered one of the sources of the bedtime protection invocation, the entire issue gets quite confusing. Scrutinising the 'four directions,' which the four archangels are respectively said to be associated with in this verse, suggests that those who originally listed the positions of these 'spirit entities' around the 'Throne of Glory,' did not have specific directions in mind, i.e. East, West, etc., when they listed the positions of the archangels around the 'Throne of Glory.' Such directional attributions appear to have been added somewhat later, and are simply not reconcilable with the associated celestial positions of the four archangels.

Of course, problems inevitably arise when one attempts to broaden the application of a set of attributions initially employed in a singular manner, unrelated to any broader perspectives. Regarding this issue we read in Midrash Bamidbar Rabbah 2:10 'As the Holy One blessed be He created four winds (directions) and four banners (for Israel’s army), so also did He make four angels to surround His Throne — Michael, Gabriel, Uriel and Rafael. Michael is on its right, corresponding to the tribe of Reuben; Uriel on its left, corresponding to the tribe of Dan, which was located in the north; Gabriel in front, corresponding to the tribe of Judah as well as Moses and Aaron who were in the east; and Rafael in the rear, corresponding to the tribe of Ephraim which was in the west.'

Here the archangels are attributed to the directions in the following order, and despite alternatives listed elsewhere, this order became generally accepted:

Rafael to the West.
Michael
to the South.
Gavriel
to the East.
Uriel
[Auriel] to the North.

Consider that according to the bedtime prayer, Michael is to my right, and we are told in the Midrash that he is associated with the "South".....so I must be facing East, which I am! However, Gavriel, located to my left according to the same sources, is associated with the East....which is in front of me? Worse still, Uriel is supposedly in front of me but, hold on to your seat, if I am facing East—because Michael is on my right, and Gavriel is associated with the East, which is somehow supposed to be to my left—how in blazes can Uriel be in front of me when he is associated with the North? Even Rafael appears to be oddly placed. Also, if I keep Michael, the archangel associated with the

"He," I answered, "who loves to contemplate truth…who is able to arrive at whatever remains ever constant. He who is capable of seeing the Whole is a philosopher; he who is not, is not."

Old 07-27-10   #3
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

South, to my right, i.e. as if I were facing the 'Throne of Glory' myself, I would be looking in the direction of Rafael who is positioned 'behind the Throne'.....that would be East.....but this archangel is associated with the West? If the traditional bedtime invocation was aligned with this arrangement of their respective positions, it should read 'To my right Michael and to my left Uriel, in front of me Gavriel and behind me Rafael.' Keep in mind that there are other variations to this Angels/Directions theme, e.g. South – Uriel; North – Gavriel; East – Michael; West – Rafael; or again South – Michael; North – Uriel; East – Gavriel; West – Rafael. There is simply no general agreement on this topic to be found throughout the primary texts of Traditional Kabbalah.

It is worth noting that much of the early 'angel teachings' in both Judaism and Christianity, were derived from Zoroastrianism. In this regard, it is recognised that the archangelic protection portion of the bedtime prayer was derived from the ancient Babylonian incantation which reads 'Shamash before me, behind me Sin, Nergal at my right, Ninib at my left.'

Now, considering this subject and related issues, we should also peruse the attributions made of the mentioned four archangels to the 'Four Elements.' In the Sh’lah al Sefer Vayik’ra by Yeshayahu ben Avraham we are told that 'Micha’el is the base source of Spirit Water, Gavri’el of Spirit Fire, Auri’el of Spirit Air, Rafa’el of Spirit Earth.' These attributions are based on teachings found in Kabbalistic literature in which the archangel Michael is attributed to the Sefirah Chesed (Mercy), Gavriel to Gevurah (Severity), Uriel to Tiferet (Beauty), and Rafael to Yesod (Foundation). In this case, Chesed, attributed to 'Spirit Water,' is the domain of Michael, while Gevurah, the domain of 'Spirit Fire,' belongs to Gavriel. In turn, the sphere of Tiferet, being the balancing central Sefirah between Chesed and Gevurah, is attributed the 'Spirit Air' and Uriel, this being aligned with the statement in the Sefer Yetzirah about 'Air tipping the scale' between 'Fire' and 'Water.' Finally, in this instance, Yesod is attributed to Rafael and 'Spirit Earth.'

As we know well enough by now, these attributions are by no means universally accepted amongst Kabbalists, and there are again numerous variant attributions of these four, as well as other archangels, to the ten Sefirot. Some of these attributions are decidedly odd, but they are always in accordance with specific mind-sets. Here are a few examples of attributions of the four archangels to the sefirot to be found in traditional Kabbalistic literature:

MichaelBinah; Chesed; Tiferet; Hod; Yesod;
GavrielBinah; Gevurah; Netzach; Yesod;
RafaelTiferet; Hod; Yesod; and
Uriel (Auriel) – Tiferet; Netzach; Yesod.

It gets even more befuddled when we investigate the related planetary and zodiacal attributions. We can be certain that it took a lot of careful investigation and consideration of all the details involved, including a study of related material, i.e. the

Old 07-27-10   #4
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

writings of Averoes and the literature of ancient astrology, in order to arrive at the neat, coherent and efficient systems used in the Hermetic Orders.

As said, the four letters of the Tetragrammaton (YHVH) have been linked to the 'Four Elements.' In fact, the four letters comprising the Ineffable Name have been attributed to a great variety of 'tetrads,' e.g. four 'Divine Elements' respectively focussed in Chochmah (Wisdom), Binah (Understanding), Tiferet (Beauty) and Malchut (Kingdom); the four 'Divine Countenances' (Partzufim) — Father, Mother, Son and Daughter; the four 'Winds' of Isaiah; Ezekiel’s four 'beasts' of the Merkavah (Divine Chariot-throne) — Lion, Eagle, Man and Bull; the four 'Fixed Signs' of the Mazlot (Zodiac) — Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius and Taurus; etc. In this regard there are a number of primary kabbalistic sources on this topic, e.g. the Sefer ha-Zohar, etc. There are also some very informative essays regarding this topic available in English.

.................................................. .................

I spent many hours investigating this subject, eventually ending up with a hefty document comprising a chaotic cacophony of opinions and dissenting voices. Yet, while curiosity had me delving into this confusing mass to broaden personal perspectives, I did not find any need to adjust the tidy, straight-forward system I learned from my astute mentor. This one.....I applied as successfully in the realm of "Practical Kabbalah" as I have in scrutinising the theoretical variety. The set of attributions is both logical and practical."

Thus my feeling is that one does not need to discard a specific system one is familiar with. All that might be necessary is to use good common sense to "enhance" and "adjust" when it appears appropriate to do so, especially when it is so necessary to have a coherent, harmonious and wholesome approach to the "subtle realms" and their "spirit denizens."

Be that as it may, I have had a most odd query from someone who wanted to know how I could align myself with William Gray's peculiar "angel/sefirot" attributions. Not entirely sure what the individual was on about, I quizzed the query and it turned out that the real bone of contention is the fact that William Gray assigned "Ishim" to Yesod (Foundation), which, according to my correspondent, is absurd since there is not a single instance in which Kabbalists have contemplated such an odd attribution. Now, I personally find all "absolute claims," especially those regarding sefirotic attributions, as being especially especially bothersome. This is because I have found again and again, in fact in virtually every instance, that something would surface in primary Kabbalistic literature to refute such absolutist allegations.

Of course, we have previously discussed a number of variant attributions of planets and archangels to the ten sefirot, but my correspondent insisted that whilst there are variances in these specific instances, the attributions of the "angelic hosts" are standard and "traditional." I replied that William Gray was certainly not the first to attribute the "angelic host" called the "Ishim" to Yesod, and indicated that this was already done in early Kabbalah in the magical "Brit Menuchah." On taking the trouble of sharing the

Last edited by mr cheese; 07-27-10 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-27-10   #5
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

specific set of attributions from this work with the individual in question, it appears my querant felt "offended" because I made "him feel like an idiot," and I could have been "nicer" in the manner I expressed myself. Whatever that may mean, I suppose I have reached the stage in life where I don't care that I don't care. However, I thought you might find the mentioned "angelic" attributions to the sefirot in the "Brit Menuchah" of personal interest, so here they are:

As you can see, this set of attributions is different in virtually every aspect from those generally considered "definitive." However, I do not believe this one to be less credible, since, after all, validities are surely based on angles of approach..... aren't they?

Old 07-27-10   #6
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

http://guideangel.com/

my gaurdain angel according to this site!:

69. Deus Omnia videns (God seeing everything);
רֵאָהֵ (Resh Alef Hey) – Re A He

יְהוָה, מְנָת-חֶלְקִי וְכוֹסִי-- אַתָּה, תּוֹמִיךְ גּוֹרָלִי. - תהילים פרק טז, פסוק ה
Psalms 16:5
the 5th verse of Psalm 16: The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintaineth my lot
(Dominus pars haereditatis meae, et calicis mei: tu es, qui restitues haereditatem meam mihi).
רֵאָהֵאֵל ReAHe-EL Rochel - To find lost or stolen objects and discover the person responsible. Distinguished in the judiciary, morals and customs of all peoples.
Influence time and dates 22:41 - 23:00 1th March until the 5th March inclusively
ROCHEL. His attribute is God Who Sees All . He corresponds to the holy name of Deos in the language of the Cretans. His ray commences from the 341st
degree up to the 345th degree inclusive, corresponding to the thirty fifth decade and to the angel called Chontare, under the influence of Jupiter. He rules over the following days: 27th May, 7th August, 18th October, 29th December, 11th March. The invocation is done from 10:40pm till 11:00pm exactly,
He serves to find lost or hidden objects, and to know the person who has removed them. This angel rules renown, fortune and succession; he influences jurisconsults, magistrates, attorneys, solicitors and notaries. The person born under this influence will be distinguished at the bar, by his knowledge of morality, custom and the spirit of the laws of all people.
Meditating with this Name as your compass, the path toward your spiritual home will be illuminated. You will regain your bearings. With every step you take and with each moment that passes, you will feel comfort, confidence and a stronger sense of direction.
The negative side of this angel rules over reports, testaments and bequests which are made to the detriment of legitimate inheritors; he influences all those who cause the ruin of families, by provoking high fees and interminable court cases.

42. Deus Quis sicut ille ();
מֵיֹכָ ( Mem Yod Caf ) - MeYoCa
יְהוָה, יִשְׁמָרְךָ מִכָּל-רָע: יִשְׁמֹר, אֶת-נַפְשֶׁךָ. - פסוק ז תהילים פרק קכא
PS 121:7 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
"Dominus custodiat te ab omni malo, et custodiat animam tuam."
מֵיֹכָאֵל MeYoChaEL Mikael - For safety in travel. For the discovery of conspiracies. Concerned with political affairs, diplomatic.
Influence time and dates 13:41 - 14:00 15th October until the 19th October inclusively
MIKAEL. The Kabbalists give him the following attributes: Virtue of God, House of God, Like unto God . He corresponds to the holy divine names of Buib or
Biud in the language of the Canadians. His ray commences from the 206th degree up to the 210th degree inclusive, corresponding to the twenty first decade and to the angel called Arpien. He rules over the following days: 30th April, 11th July, 21st September, 2ndDecember, 12th February. The invocation is done from 1:40pm till 2:00pm
He serves to travel in safety. This angel rules monarchs, princes and nobles; he keeps their subjects subservient, uncovers conspiracies and all those who seek to destroy their persons and governments. The person born under this influence will become involved in political affairs; he will be curious, and will want to learn the secrets of private offices and foreign news, and he will distinguish himself in affairs of State through his knowledge of diplomacy.
By meditate on this name you will gather the ability to bring forth the powers of observation to see the truth . . . and the courage to handle it!
The negative side of this angel rules over traitors; he influences malevolence and all those who propagate false information.

Old 06-16-13   #7
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

I've seen a few posts lately on angelic energies, so I thought I might bump this for thise interested as well.

FPSM - inspired by Donald L. Engstrom-Reece

Business page on the ubiquitous Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FabienneS.Morgana

Twitter: https://twitter.com/FabienneMorgana
Fabienne S. Morgana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-13   #8
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr cheese View Post
South, to my right, i.e. as if I were facing the 'Throne of Glory' myself
Brother Michael is to the South, for the same reason Kali is; he is at your right hand side, when you face towards the rising Sun.

Quote:
I would be looking in the direction of Rafael who is positioned 'behind the Throne'.....that would be East.....but this archangel is associated with the West?
Whenever I've performed the LBRP, (and this is consistent with every description of it that I've ever found online) I face East. Raphael is before me, Gabriel is summoned behind me, Michael is to my right, and Uriel is to my left.

I don't claim to know all of the Sephirah correspondences, but I've tended to view Michael as being associated with Geburah (Severity) and the colour red (actually scarlet, or the colour of pink roses) and Raphael with yellow and Tiphareth.

Quote:
It is worth noting that much of the early 'angel teachings' in both Judaism and Christianity, were derived from Zoroastrianism.
I'm sure this is true, but there is a simpler way to find out what their correspondences are; you can ask them.

While it may be an anachronistic or otherwise unpopular perspective in this day and age, I consider the archangels to be as real as I am, and at least as sentient, if not more so. They are simply not physical, that's all; but they absolutely exist.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote