Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > Methodology

Methodology This forum is for sharing and discussion of all magical methods and techniques, from basic to advanced. Discussion is not confined to any one path or philosophy but welcomes all takes on the topic.

Old 02-16-10   #21
feranaja

Default Re: Purification

Yes, it's a real classic. She was trained by Victor and Cora Anderson who founded the original Faerie Tradition:

http://paganbookworm.org/authors/vic...cora-anderson/

Feri is not Wicca: this article makes the differences clear:
http://www.feritradition.org/witcheye/feriandwicca.html

have fun - Starhawk has written many books but The Spiral dance is her best and a true classic in the field. I also really like The Earth Path:
http://www.starhawk.org/writings/earth_path.html

Feri encourages individual expression and is a tough, initiatory tradition that emphasizes innerwork and growth. See what you think.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-10   #22
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Thank you

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10   #23
feranaja

I just listened today to Mary Condren, who wrote the classic "Serpent and the Goddess" on women in Celtic spirituality, talking about the tradition of Brigid in Celtic Christianity, and several things resonated deeply with me. One was when she spoke about "purification" - that the nuns of St. Brigid practise it not as a form of "purging evil from the soul" as is often thought about Christian use of the term, but more in the way of ridding the self of distraction, staying pure in focus (in this case, focus on God).
For me, that was a lovely "Aha" moment because I often feel distracted from what I consider my own Great Work - and purification can be thought of as a means to pull myself back to that centre. I loved the hour with Mary and wish it could have been longer. If anyone is interested in the interview it can be found here:
http://www.cbc.ca/tapestry/podcast.html

and the book is marvelous:
Amazon Amazon

'Im thinking of using some time this week to purify, or rather, re-focus myself in the way I want to be focused. Too much scattering activity is never good for The Work, now is it.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10   #24
Nacken

Most religions have some kind of purification rites and/or taboos to avoid contamination. It is a valid and useful practice IMHO. I suppose that when I clear out my energy at the end of the day it is an equivalent.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11   #25
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

NOt the original thread I was looking for but this one to fits in with the focus and content of my thread on purification and I think is a good topic for reconsideration and discussion.
Old 06-15-17   #26
travsha

Default Re: Foundational Practises: Purification

Practice seems to always come back to purification. A constant process.

Lately I have been using tobacco a lot for purification. This is a common practice in the Amazon where I did some of my studying.... Sometimes I will blow the smoke on myself and my house, or sometimes I will use a dry nasal snuff called rapé which provides a powerful cleansing (rapé is tobacco and tree ash sometimes with other plants added as well).

I also use songs a lot for cleansing - I will sing different songs to myself calling on spirits to help clean me. This goes really well with the tobacco - both together can be very potent.