Go Back   EarthSong Forums > General Occult > Paranormal

Paranormal For investigation of all paranormal phenomena, including but not limited to hauntings, crop circles, telepathy, UFOs and ESP

Old 06-13-14   #1
Coley

Default Any thoughts...weird little sigh

This is probably going to come across as very dumb and possibly many people here have far crazier stuff going on, but I'm not familiar with this particular sort of event.
The other night as I was trying to sleep and very loud sigh in my left ear jarred me suddenly from whatever light sleep I might have been starting, if any. I was laying on my side, right side of my head in the pillow. It was distinctly a female.
I have had hypnagogic hallucinations in the past when falling to sleep where I heard my name called or my mothers voice or people talking but it's all very dreamy, distant, and not nearly as jarring, not to mention I haven't even had that sort of experience for probably a year or more now that I can think of. But this voice... Real as anything and loud and disturbing.
It can't be a coincidence that now that I've started paying attention to witchcraft again something totally weird happens.
Which is fine.... But was curious if anyone here has any gift to perceive or read a situation/event... I'm really not sure what I would call it....
Did any of you astral project and sigh in my ear? Lol
Any ideas who it could be or why sighing audibly would be of any use to them?
I've never had auditory hallucinations before except once long ago when I hadn't slept for like 3 days due to severe stress and even that was nothing close to as real. I knew I was hearing that shit from within my own head to some extent.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14   #2
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Default Re: Any thoughts...weird little sigh

It was me! I was testing your abilities of extrasensory perception and I've got to say, I'm impressed. Would you like to join ... The League? All kidding aside ...

The hypnagogic/hypnopompic states are transitory realms of consciousness between waking and sleeping, as you've indicated you understand. These are literally the times where 'the veil' is thinnest between the worlds of our conscious and unconscious states. When we begin learning new material, having new experiences, rekindling old interests, etc., the unconscious mind continues to sort and process information while we sleep, so it's not surprising (i.e. not a coincidence) if you are having experiences during this hypnogogic state that correlate to your rekindled interests.

I wouldn't give in to any fear/paranoia about supernatural forces or outside influences -- just relax into the state with a sense of curiosity, willing to accept whatever 'messages' your unconscious mind is preparing for your conscious mind to interpret. However you choose to metaphorically interpret these messages is up to you, but it's a long hard road out of giving away your power to outside influences. My suggestion is to keep it internal -- does that make sense?
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14   #3
feranaja

I would take a somewhat different approach - not negating Leben's comments, which are sound and wise, but I would also include the possibility of Otherworld contact, especially if you have been aiming for that. It depends on your worldview; if you accept/understand the existence of other realms or no. I do, so I'd be be considering a hypnagogic state AND Otherworldly contact. I work with Faerie and assorted external realities as well as inner,and it does take some time to sort out which is which.

This is timely for me, as my 80 year old Mother, from whom I have been estranged for years, has rekindled contact with me and one of her issues at the moment is what her Dr called "hallucinations" although she has no brain disease, is not suffering from dementia, is not mentally ill at all. She just sees people. Funnily enough, she thought I might be able to help.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14   #4
feranaja

Something you might consider, if you are skillful with divination, is using your runes or tarot deck to find more information...a vision journey can be enormously helpful as well. Or have someone you know who is VERY GOOD at this work, check in for you. Relax, go into a semi-trance, revisit and see what you find.

Shane Parrish
Old 06-13-14   #5
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
I would take a somewhat different approach - not negating Leben's comments, which are sound and wise, but I would also include the possibility of Otherworld contact, especially if you have been aiming for that. It depends on your worldview; if you accept/understand the existence of other realms or no. I do, so I'd be be considering a hypnagogic state AND Otherworldly contact. I work with Faerie and assorted external realities as well as inner,and it does take some time to sort out which is which.
Yes, certainly include the possibility of Otherworld contact! Although my advice is to keep it 'internal' it is for precisely the reason which Fera states -- it does take time to sort out which is which. I have seen far too many people jump to 'otherworld' conclusions and end up falling further and further into deluded states when a simple understanding of the dynamic relationship between conscious and unconscious would bridge the gap in understanding. I'm certainly not saying it's one OVER the other, but consider Occam's Razor -- "Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove correct, but—in the absence of certainty—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better."
Old 06-13-14   #6
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leben View Post
Yes, certainly include the possibility of Otherworld contact! Although my advice is to keep it 'internal' it is for precisely the reason which Fera states -- it does take time to sort out which is which. I have seen far too many people jump to 'otherworld' conclusions and end up falling further and further into deluded states when a simple understanding of the dynamic relationship between conscious and unconscious would bridge the gap in understanding. I'm certainly not saying it's one OVER the other, but consider Occam's Razor -- "Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove correct, but—in the absence of certainty—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better."
Yeah. What he said.

Shane Parrish
Old 06-13-14   #7
Coley

Omg you guys are amazing....
Okay. A lot to think about here haha
My first tendency with anything paranormal or the idea of being contacted by something not physical/human is automatic creep mode/adrenaline rush for me and it's hard for me to stay cool lol so I'm kind of hoping it's some pageantry of my subconscious mind...but I don't want to be in denial if it is something else either. A little baffled with why a "someone" would choose sighing over communicating with something a litke more direct if that was the deal, though haha
When I think back and remember the sound i see it.... Like a green glowing cord of sound reaching my ear. I don't know where the imagery comes from. But maybe that is another clue I could have added. Then again, I have been synaesthetic my whole life and can guess forgotten PIN numbers, spelling of words, etc just based on colours that flash through my head during attempts to recall so maybe that's all that is
The other thing I'm wondering about..... Keeping it internal. Does that mean not telling people about it? Or is this a term for something I am not aware of?
I tell my sister some of the weird things that I've experienced from time to time but that's all. And I guess I've started cracking open here now :P
Old 06-13-14   #8
Coley

Oh and something I had meant to respond to right off the bat, as well (although there is more I plan on pondering here) - I am definitely not skilled with any mode of divination but have been learning tarot. I don't know if it would be wise to give it a shot anyways... Early learning stages here... But my inclination is to try and see what I get
Old 06-13-14   #9
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

By keeping it internal I just mean looking to understand the phenomenon through one's own inner process, rather than looking for an outward explanation. Not to say there isn't one. Also, I advocate speaking with one's own unconscious mind AS IF it were 'otherworldly' ... you would be amazed what powers lurk within you.
Old 06-13-14   #10
Coley

Oh okay. That makes sense. Thank you!
So divination would be a method of communicating with the subconscious, is what I am understanding...
Would meditation be another way to work on this?