Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > Methodology

Methodology This forum is for sharing and discussion of all magical methods and techniques, from basic to advanced. Discussion is not confined to any one path or philosophy but welcomes all takes on the topic.

Old 10-11-10   #21
feranaja

Default Re: The Sacred Cord Meditations

Oh, i have a handwritten one - three pages long, divided into categories. I'm a book-piggie, lol.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10   #22
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

Lol! I have book wish lists as well... and I can see, being here, is just going to add to them... the one in my head, the one at Amazon and the one that floats around on various pieces of paper.... Great stories, thank you for sharing.

FPSM - inspired by Donald L. Engstrom-Reece

Business page on the ubiquitous Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FabienneS.Morgana

Twitter: https://twitter.com/FabienneMorgana
Fabienne S. Morgana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10   #23
Frater SCS

Great, another book I need.

Interesting story-I'm glad to learn that I didn't make up the connection completely.
Old 10-12-10   #24
ffetcher

IMO Richardson's book on Gray is very good - he's one of my heroes, and also a captivating speaker. I can almost 'hear' the words when I read his stuff. In fact DAN, RJ and Alan R are all very good speakers; I start to wonder whether Ceremonials in general wouldn't make more money doing business seminars.

As regards the cord, I wish you all success, and a modicum of luck. Mine hangs on a hook in a little niche on my left as I type this, used very infrequently now, but a treasured item. DAN's book was one of two my wife and I bought together when we married (the other was also by DAN, 'Tree of Ecstasy'). Be aware that if you're in a relationship and holding down a full-time job, it's a real strain, especially if, as in our case, we wanted to maintain our normal spiritual work. We must have taken holidays and breaks that year, but I don't recall them. Rewarding, though.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10   #25
Luna

I was gifted with a sacred cord (prayer beads) several years ago, and it just sits on my altar, never used. I don't come from a religious background where such a thing is used and have never had any idea of how to use it.

This book sounds interesting, and I see that I could order it from Amazon in used form pretty cheaply, but due to other demands on my money I can't even afford to spend less than $10. I guess this isn't the right time for me to begin this part of the journey just now.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10   #26
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
I really want Alan's book about Gray.
I got it when it first came out...
great book...you want want to read more about what happens "after" the ending of the book

however there appears to be much that remains unpublished...it appears gray was a real character....having grown up in the area that gray and stewart did (the west country, it is called) I can imagine the kind of person he was, rather clearly.....

"He," I answered, "who loves to contemplate truth…who is able to arrive at whatever remains ever constant. He who is capable of seeing the Whole is a philosopher; he who is not, is not."

Plato (Republic, V, 475; VI, 481-485)

mr cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10   #27
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

Hi Luna - you can view the book on Scribd, if that is of any assistance... In this instance, you actually get to make to make your own set of beads... Using Sacred Strands is very much my 'thing', so if you describe or photograph the ones that you have, I can probably tell you if they are any of the usual suspects (mala, tesbih, etc).. or were they made 'specially? I would love to see a pix, if you have a camera (I currently don't).

Business page on the ubiquitous Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FabienneS.Morgana

Old 10-12-10   #28
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

Ah ffetcher - someone who has done it! You found it took you the whole year? DAN states that it really has deep effects - was that your experience? How wonderful to be able to share that journey with your wife!

Old 10-12-10   #29
feranaja

I'm also intrigued by ffetchers' comments about the strain this work can place on an individual. My partner knows I need to spend long hours in temple or just solitude and we deal with that. But as I outlined I'm stupidly busy and trying to scale down. By Yule I should have several things finished or cut. But life will still be demanding. Is this a good time to do the cordwork, or perhaps I should consider waiting?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10   #30
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

I know in the Introduction, DAN states that it caused all sorts of chaos in her life, but she attributes that to absorbing too quickly the Working, when she was receiving the teaching, and that is why she developed what she refers to as the 'mood-damping exercises'... That is in part, why I thought it might be good to do it in association with others...

I guess, ffetcher, we would love to hear more from you about your experience, if that is something you are comfortable sharing.