Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > Gender and Identity > Mars Forum

Mars Forum for topics specifically related to men's issues

Old 07-22-15   #1
feranaja

Default An interesting article

Something I found interesting and wondered if we might get a male perspective here.

http://www.filmsforaction.org/articl...ssed-with-sex/

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-15   #2
BigAl
Eclectic

Default Re: An interesting article

Very interesting.

No time to do a deep read and at the moment, but will definitely come back to it.

As you know, the current hair-in-my-ass is the skewing of the perception of "maleness" in the esoteric / spiritual world and it's ongoing portrayal in a negative light.

Ironically, the title alone doesn't give me hope for a balanced view... I'm hoping it proves me wrong...
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-15   #3
petrus4
Leaper

I find that article about as over-generalised, stereotypical, patronising, and offensive as you've found some of my own characterisations of women, Fera. Men are not exclusively obsessed with sex, just as women do not exclusively hate it.

Gender stereotypes can be an incredibly damaging thing. One of the main reasons why I lost my ex-girlfriend, was because I literally could not psychologically re-adjust to the idea that there was such a thing as a woman who enjoyed sex, because of the degree to which I'd been conditioned to expect universal female frigidity.

I know I've engaged in negative stereotypical thinking about women before, but I realise now that that was wrong. I would encourage you to realise that it's just as wrong when it is done about men.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-15   #4
feranaja

Wait - why are you assuming you know what I think about this article based on the fact I "found it interesting" and put it up for discussion??

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-15   #5
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Wait - why are you assuming you know what I think about this article based on the fact I "found it interesting" and put it up for discussion??
I apologise. I was fairly severely stoned when I wrote that post.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-15   #6
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

I won't be writing a long reply as I'm ony phone but I both agree and disagree with parts of the article. Speaking in terms of broad generalities it makes sense, but also makes some assumptions about sex AMD men's sexuality as if it were universal or as if there were a right way. I think the long term solution lies in banning most advertising, education and internal alchemical practice, but I doubt the mainstream will assimilate it accurately. Just look at modern yoga...
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-15   #7
BigAl
Eclectic

Well, I had to restart writing this post... the initial one just descended into guttural incoherence.

It's unfortunate, as the basic premises covered, I generally agree with; boys are isolated from their feelings, because they are expected to suppress them, and be "a man". But it is a massive, lazy, unscientific, pseudo-psychological over-generalisation to leap from that to all men are sex obsessed predatory beasts with no control over their bodies or their sexual and emotional responses.

I don't think I have ever actually met anyone who matches the gross generalisation he has managed to paint (they probably exist, but in far fewer number than the author believes). It reads like an excuse piece seeking to ratify bad behaviour in a way that is quite disingenuous to the author's own sex, and ignores the average man's ability to develop a level of emotional intelligence that allows him to overcome even the most extreme conditioning.

Ironically, I also agree with his conclusion: that the male sex needs to reclaim the fullest expression of their humanity; through reclaiming their right to intimacy (particularly with other men, but also in understanding that intimacy has nothing to do with sex organs...), feelings (especially the "girly" ones), and (focused) passion. Wandering around believing that they are victims of early conditioning dis-empowers their right to that flowering.

What is missing, IMO, is the right of passage, developed over millenia in every culture, which transitioned a boy into manhood in the company of his peers... but that is probably another thread...
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote