Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Paganism

Paganism A forum to discuss the various expressions of Paganism; ritual, theology, practice, history, method and cosmology

Old 05-01-13   #71
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Default Re: Beltane

^^ Oh for the life of a troubadour!
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13   #72
ffetcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
^^ Oh for the life of a troubadour!
The original troubadours and trouveres didn't have to freeze their butts off at five in the morning after no sleep.

This weekend is always a bit like pushing a big rock over the top of a hill. But we do make time for appreciation of the earth. And the weather for Monday is forecast to be good, and I just noticed that the cherry has breaking blossom, which means that the trees in the glade will bloom soon. There's a gap on Sunday when we can perhaps walk up there with our chalice.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13   #73
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffetcher View Post
The original troubadours and trouveres didn't have to freeze their butts off at five in the morning after no sleep.

This weekend is always a bit like pushing a big rock over the top of a hill. But we do make time for appreciation of the earth. And the weather for Monday is forecast to be good, and I just noticed that the cherry has breaking blossom, which means that the trees in the glade will bloom soon. There's a gap on Sunday when we can perhaps walk up there with our chalice.

blessings
ffetcher
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! The weather forecast is looking good.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13   #74
Fethenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Have you seen the Jack n the Green?
This one is my favorite! Looks like something straight from a fairytale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
It's interesting to me how we tend to start off with ritual observance that sicks pretty cloesly to "the books", but over time I think most of us take the core of the day, take it's essence and build our own versions. At least (IMH) that's as it should be.I have a really hard time ceebrating human procreation, with the terrible overpopulation issues we face (and subsequent environmental carnage) but I can focus on the fertility of the earth herself and all the creatures - this year's emphasis will be on bees. I've just made 7 kinds of herbal honey and will bake a couple into ritual cakes. It's not a very traditional Beltane, but it works for me; a Rite of Gaia, and All my Relations.

Not so looking forward to the early morning, but I love it once I've got a coffee or three down my neck!
Lovely! Actually honey in all forms is very Beltane, or at least that is what I've heard. Honey mead, honey cakes... honey on husband...

We actually made some mead this year, quite simple but still. It also had raisins in it.
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-13   #75
ffetcher

I tend to treat 'Beltane' as the whole period between the night of April 30 and the bank holiday Monday. Have a gig teaching some primary school kids this afternoon, but this afternoon's rehearsal is canceled because everyone is an knackered as I am. Not sure if this is good or bad, because a lot of the stuff is for Summer-pole in Guildford on Saturday and we're well under-rehearsed, but of course burning out by Saturday would be equally bad.

Got shanghaied yesterday, see Brosceliande.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
Old 05-03-13   #76
Windsmith bat Gaia
Reclaiming Tradition

Our May Day ritual involved hot chocolate. Because it's snowing. This "Spring" needs to get its act together stat.
Windsmith bat Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13   #77
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsmith bat Gaia View Post
Our May Day ritual involved hot chocolate. Because it's snowing. This "Spring" needs to get its act together stat.
dr. tiny cat to the or right stat now (sorry made me think of that pic lol)

i agree, snow in one part of the us, fires on the coast, tornados, and drought followed by long rains in the midwest and east; weird stuffs this spring is

i think the honey thing was a great idea fera, the bees need all the help they can get this year, so go little bees go!

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14   #78
feranaja

Happy Beltane to everyone - this is the coldest, wettest, most UN-Beltane like Beltane I can recall in a long time. That said, I am off for a spot of magic tonight - and I may well indulge in a little cheer tomorrow. Anyone up for a little MayDay festivity, let me know. And lets' drink and make merry!

Have a blessed eve, if you walk with The Wheel.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14   #79
ffetcher

Finished our private ritual, caught three hours' sleep, now just getting ready to play for the 'dancing at dawn', followed by breakfast at our after-practice pub, at which we shall indeed drink and make merry.

Happy Beltane.

For me, the rest of the day will be: playing at a local primary school, then the city art gallery, then back to the pub with another group in the evening. Weekend doing innumerable spots in Hastings, followed by a dash back on Monday (a bank holiday here) to play at The Hobbit, a local rock venue. I can't remember who thought that was a good idea, not me, but we can't duck it now.

May have time to log on in between, but quite possibly not.

Enjoy.

blessings
ffetcher
Old 05-01-14   #80
feranaja

Wow, that's one busy Beltane! Enjoy - we STILL have rain, woke up to it, but it doesn't mean the explosion of green will be glorious once the downpour stops.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote