Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > Methodology

Methodology This forum is for sharing and discussion of all magical methods and techniques, from basic to advanced. Discussion is not confined to any one path or philosophy but welcomes all takes on the topic.

Old 11-06-09   #1
feranaja

Default Foundational Practises: Purification

In my training, the practise of purification is not only important, it is an essential technique. Along with relaxation, grounding, visualization and so on, purification is key to my practise. In times of stress I might practise kala several times a day in a variety of ways. I started using Starhawk's salt Water Purification (her own take on classic Feri technique) in the 80s, and I rely on it to help clarify intent, align my selves and focus intention.

how important is purification in your spiritual/magical practise? What techniques do you use? Purification of self, space, or both?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09   #2
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: Purification

This may sound a little lame but I have found that if I have a really important thing to do it always rains. It seems anytime I have done an energy intensive ceremony it never fails, it will rain or will be a misty rain through out the entire ceremony.

It's like the rain serves as a washing cloth that cleans the air, the area and yes even myself. It usually starts out hard at the begining, slows to a misty rain that clings through the heart of the ceremony then goes back to a steady rain near the end. As I close out everything the winds tend to pick up and the rain becomes a downpour.

Many times I have also found that if I am seeking I will find myself in a heavy cloud or fog and there will be a passage that seems to appear. As I go through the passage I get wet but outside of it I can see and hear the rain in a heavy downpour many times.

Not sure if that is what your looking for or not but I think it falls into the purification of place and event.
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09   #3
feranaja

Definitely would cover purification of place and event! For me, and my tradition, purification is not at all the "cleansing of sin" that other traditions might refer to. It's about the clearing away of negativity (in all it's forms) and allowing courage, creativity, love, healing and so on to enter. Purification of self is part of the preparation for possession by divinity (or higher self depending on how you view this).
Purification of space is of course, simply preparation for an act that invokes the sacred.
I would go a little batty if it rained everytime I went to do ritual, I think. <g>

Shane Parrish
Old 11-07-09   #4
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I will sage or ring bells before I start working on something. I am still new to doing things and I'm making it my own, but those things feel right for my at this time. I will wash up a bit unless I can take a shower, but not always.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09   #5
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Sometimes it gets depressing but other times you stop and think about the rainbow that will follow or the clean smell the air has. Even the way everything will look a little greener in the summer and early fall.

I suppose for me it's not that bad cause water is my main element. Granted a cold frosty winter rain is not that great but all in all it's touches me on many levels.
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09   #6
Raven43

This thread reminded me of how strong Spring winds feel. I enjoy the feeling I get when the winds seem to be blowing away Winter and any negativity, even though I feel like it's going to push me down to the ground too. Seems so naturally cleansing to the earth.
Old 11-07-09   #7
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven43 View Post
This thread reminded me of how strong Spring winds feel. I enjoy the feeling I get when the winds seem to be blowing away Winter and any negativity, even though I feel like it's going to push me down to the ground too. Seems so naturally cleansing to the earth.

I love those Raven...... I have had some beautiful Fall winds with burning leaves on them run through me.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09   #8
Fethenwen

Yesterday I came up with a sort of purification ritual quite spontaneously. I was laying on my back and doing a yoga relaxation when I realized I could try and include the four elements.

So I started by asking Air to blow away all my anxieties, fears and the like. So I visualized a wind blowing from the east and going through my whole body. It felt very relieving. I thanked the wind.

The I asked Fire to burn away all my anxieties, fears and the like. I visualized a burning sun in the south and my body caught fire. It was a pleasant warm feeling. I thanked the fire.

Then I asked Water to wash away all my all my anxieties, fears and the like. I visualized rain falling down on me and cooling my body. It felt very nice. I thanked the water.

The I asked Earth to ground me and take away all my all my anxieties, fears and the like. I visualized me lying on soil in a forest and sinking into the ground. I felt very safe and calm. I thanked the earth.

This proved to be very effective My spirit felt so renewed. I think after doing these a few times I wont even need to visualize, those feelings and elements should come naturally.
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09   #9
feranaja

Beautiful, Fetherwen - I love that sort of spontaneous witchery that just comes over us at times. the main thing is how good you felt afterwards, that the exercise brought you into balance so effectively. Thank you for sharing.

Shane Parrish
Old 11-08-09   #10
feranaja

Starhawk's Salt Water Purification is based on the Kala work from the Feri tradition (she was initiated by victor Anderson and developed her Reclaiming line based on feri practise).

I posted this before somewhere but as i can't find it, here it is again.

This is one of the basic individual meditations that should be practiced regularly. During periods of high anxiety or depressions or when undertaking heavy responsibility, it helps to practice daily.)

Fill your chalice with water. With your athame, add three tip fulls of salt , and stir counterclockwise. Sit with the cup in your lap. let your fears, worries, doubts, hatreds, ect. surface in your mind. See them as a muddy stream, which flows out of you as you breathe and is dissolveded by the salt water in the cup. Allow yourseld time to feel deeply cleansed.
Now hold up the cup. Breathe deeply and feel yourself drawing up power from the earth. Le the power flow into the salt water, until you can visualize it glowing with light.
Sip the water. As you feel it on your tongue know that you have taken in the power of cleansing, of healing. Fear and unhappiness have become trasformed in the power of change.
Empty the leftover water into a running stream. (Alas normally the closest stream is the one in your kitchen sink that runs down the drain.) (Starhawk)

Shane Parrish