Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Ritual Magic > Avalonian Magic

Avalonian Magic Grail Mysteries, Arthurian studies, all magic and study related to Avalon and the Matter of Britain

Old 07-19-13   #51
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

Default Re: Brosceliande

Regarding the tenant - shakes head - I love hearing the stories of your community, fffetcher. You actually have one, and it's wide and diversified.

I have friends, work colleagues, and some like minded gatherings that I enjoy, but nothing like what you seem to live. A little envious, but then, hermit that I am, lol, I have a hard enough time meeting my social commitments as it is!

FPSM - inspired by Donald L. Engstrom-Reece

Business page on the ubiquitous Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FabienneS.Morgana

Twitter: https://twitter.com/FabienneMorgana
Fabienne S. Morgana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13   #52
ffetcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne S. Morgana View Post
Regarding the tenant - shakes head - I love hearing the stories of your community, fffetcher. You actually have one, and it's wide and diversified.
It's probably more correct to suggest that the city has several communities and since I'm no longer working for big corporate and thus scrabbling round for whatever work I can get, I interact with a lot of them. I've said before that it's not coincidence that we live where we do (okay, that's mostly lots of green space but also that I need public transport because I don't drive). We sort of live in the bit that everyone else considers 'posh', although really that's to the north of us, where the sports centre and the golf course are. Fifteen minutes west is the university, the pub where I 'lunch' on Fridays and the library where I do some research on behalf of other people. But immediately north of there is one of the 'sink estates', where, in a short while, I'm going to photograph some new cast-iron fencing for a web-site. My wife is off doing a gig so I guess we'll probably go for a drink afterwards: I'm not keen on the pub but you sure meet some interesting people. Twenty minutes south of us is a fairly dilapidated main street where every third shop is a charity/thrift shop, and beyond that, another 'sink estate'. Across the common, south-east of us, is a fairly affluent area; walk on and you end up in the Indian/Asian community, two Gurdwara, one Mosque and the lesbian club for which I maintain the CCTV. All these communities look out for themselves (see elsewhere for my views on the city council) and, being a gregarious person involved to some extent with all of them, I try to help out when there's a problem - like persuading the vegetable man who has a stall outside The Crown to donate the left-over stock on Tuesday (they don't open on Wednesday) to the 'downhill Gurdwara' where I sometimes cook.

The great thing over the last few years has been seeing people from various communities interact, which is of course where Brosceliande started anyway.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)

Last edited by ffetcher; 07-28-13 at 03:05 AM.
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13   #53
ffetcher

Interesting experienvce on Sunday, nothing to do with our local landscape, but some nice ideas. We signed up for an 'autoguided walk' in Spinney Wood, a local privately funded piece of woodland. It's put together by a team from London (I think) and runs in various places (again, I think).

You get a pair of expensive headphones and a posh MP3 player. The recording is in binaural stereo, and since a lot of it is found sounds as opposed to studio work, that's impressive in and of itself. But there's not just one set of commentary/instructions, there are four that interlock, so in our group of ten sometimes the group was together, sometimes apart, 'finding' different objects an doing different things either together or apart. It's not locative as I know the term, or it wouldn't also work in Greewich park, the aim is to study your reactions to being with the group, apart from it, and so on, and how that affects the way you see the surrounding environment. Took six of them a year to put together, and the effort showed. Didn't quite work for me, but interesting nonetheless and maybe I can crib some stuff.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
Old 11-20-13   #54
ffetcher

Thought a brief update might be in order.We all individually (or at least in couples) did the five-point walk with the same words, and compared notes The results were reasonably similar, enough to feel tat Sullivan, with a little interpretation from me, was working on the right lines. We're starting to wonder if he knew Dion Fortune, or maybe corresponded.

The 'comparing notes' bit had to be done with my 'phone on speaker. we're out one couple for further experimentation. Good news for them in that settlement prior to tribunal gave her enough money to buy half share in the bar in Ibiza where they've been working the summer. I pointed out that she'd have lost 'constructive dismissal' but she sagely said that the area manager doesn't need any more bad PR right now. This gives them accommodation for free while they earn enough to buy the owners - an elderly couple - out outright. Sad for us, we'll miss them a lot.

Good news, the bistro plus robing room is finally complete, the function room being able to be split into a big area and a small area, the small area giving complete privacy. I've started looking for a five-point walk starting and finishing there, but it's difficult because the imagery doesn't quite fit so far. That's the winter project - it's already too d*mn cold here to be working out of doors.

Whether we're going to write up the results of the little experiment I don't know, but if we do I'll make it available to ESF.

blessings
ffetcher
Old 12-24-13   #55
ffetcher

The five-point route is complete. I didn't actually put the finishing touches to it, it was the shift leader at the pub. I arrived a couple of weeks ago to find a surprising face.

'Lou, what are you doing here?'

'I got fed up with the hassle at the other place, and Brett asked very nicely.'

Lou was the other shift manager with Georgie, the woman who emigrated to Ibiza: I'd forgotten how close friends they were, until Lou said

'Georgie sends her love. We've been talking about the walking meditation. Brett says you've been walking round the bottom of Hollybrook and taken a couple of falls. Georgie reckons you need to finish it for New Year's Eve so you can discuss it in Glastonbury.'

(...did I mention already how everyone knows everyone else's business around here?)

'Okay, so she sent me a few links. The only naughty bits are that she uncloaked the link between your snow circle meditation and the Winchester walk, and the elves link - that's not public, is it?' I shake my head and smile - I hadn't realised they were quite that close. 'Brett says lately you've been coming back up the slope, so I figure you're going clockwise, which means the long steps are the ones that lead to spring, making the nearer bridge over the brook the moat - I got the words off Earthsong, might join when I get my life in some semblance of order. So I had a bit of a think. The rule is that it mustn't cross, which is why you're trying to get up the grass bank?' I nod ' Well, as a local, I see something you've missed.'

'But I'm local, I know this place.'

'You're not as local as we are. I can see into this bar from our bedroom. If I show you the trick, will you try to explain about the elves and about MirrorSpace afterwards? Brett tried, about MirrorSpace but it didn't make much sense. We think we'll do the Winchester walk on New Year's Eve - I'm working seven 'til close, so even if nothing happens we'll have a nice walk and a spot of lunch.' Then she yells into the kitchen 'Brett, it's quiet, I'm taking my break, back in about twenty minutes and then can you raid my tips box and put a bottle of Pinot onto table one, with a reserved tag?'

So we walk out, and sure enough there's a tiny path that doesn't cross, so I can use the other steps up on hard-standing.

'I haven't walked the whole thing, you can explain about that in a moment as well.'

It still doesn't make it into an all-weather walk, but it makes it much safer. And maybe we're back up to four couples again.

blessings
ffetcher
Old 12-29-13   #56
ffetcher

Amusing aside as part of the local storms.

Christmas Eve I went for a short walk down to the stream below the View pub aka our robing room aka one of the various Camelots.

The stream, as expected, was very high, over-topping the two bridges. It was also running white, but at the time I thought nothing of it.

Yesterday morning my mobile rang.

"The lagoon is full. Do you want to walk over and do a libation?"

So of course we went over to the View and a bunch of us walked over together - the short route is metaled. The stream had dropped about four or five inches, and was running clear. We went to the lagoon, recited the words for water from the seven-point walk, and looked up to see a slightly puzzled man with a video camera in one hand and a mobile in the other. I'm afraid I don't know his name (I'm hopeless with names) but he's the contractor who has cheese and pickle rolls - we've been feeding the guys rolls from the golf club, free in return for a bit of work on the tills that I did - more barter economy.

Then I looked around carefully and worked it out.

"Is that the boss on the end of the 'phone? Wish him a happy Christmas."

He handed me the 'phone.

"Graham - hi from us all here. I'm guessing you didn't mean the lagoon to be full." (He was also the contract leader for our park refurb, so I know him quite well.

"Nope, and Harry's (thanks, I now know his name - for today at least) tried various things with the sluices, but we need the levels to drop another four or five inches before we can empty it, and then dry it out or ship in some planks."

Consensus is that the contractors should have moved their digger off what is now an island when they closed the site on Monday for the break.

"Look on the bright side. Firstly no-one will nick it, secondly, what you possibly don't know is that downstream it was running white on Christmas Eve, so all the debris will have been flushed out. It's running clear now. And assuming that the golf course or the houses in Dunkirk haven't complained, you know everything works."

"The upstream bridges have survived, but I gather it was close on the berms by the club-house. You on your own or are there a few of you?"

"Five of us."

"Hand the 'phone back to Harry." So I do. Next thing I know we're all bundling into his SUV and heading for the golf club, on the basis that we know the gaffer quite well. In fact, all the club members are over the moon - before the rework, the course would apparently have been too wet to play until after New Year. Harry turned down the offer of a drink on the grounds that he was driving, was asked what his normal tipple is and was presented with three miniatures - and a cheese and pickle roll.

Suitably fortified, we piled back into the motor, and Harry asked if we could show him the downstream bit. The official route by road is about two miles, but of course I have the key-code for the gates, so we headed across, parked up in Dunkirk. I know several of the residents so I knocked up Joe, who lives closest to the stream. His garden was dry. We walked to the little bridges. I pointed out the Christmas Eve level, and we agreed that the stream is cleaner than it's been for years.

"So what now?" I asked Harry.

"I'll have to stay here until it drops enough. The Griff[in] is nice, but I'd rather be home with my wife."

"Show me how low it needs to be." So we stuck a golf tee in the bank at the right spot. "Right, up to the pub."

"I guess I do owe you a drink."

"No, well, if you want, but let's introduce you to the shift leader."

He's gone home, leaving his bag at the Griffin, and Lou is checking the thing every morning, I'm doing it in the afternoon. Still about four inches to go, and Harry is hopefully snuggling up to his wife.

blessings
ffetcher
Old 04-16-15   #57
ffetcher

I can't really believe that it's over a year since I posted here. That's because with various personal things and the absolutely atrocious weather (even walking meditations are contra-indicated when it's pouring with rain) not a lot got done except some fairly tedious writing. But as I said in 'what are you doing?' Azumai and I went for a walk up to the glade that's the fae queen's castle in all the meditations.

In reality it's a small hill fort - probably just an animal enclosure although ordnance survey calls it a fort - with a ring of coppiced trees. We timed it just right; the blossom was out on the tops of the trees, and it only lasts for about a week. We walked out to a pub at the end of a drove-road for a meal out to make up for my birthday on the boat being so dire, a story that'll keep. 'It looks,' said Azumai 'like a crown'. Which of course set me thinking, how about a music transformation-piece like Gyngalyn's song, but longer, using some of Sullivan's techniques set to music?

So last night we met up with my fellow composer, Jo, and scoped the idea out. Azumai approves, but 'this is not an invitation to the pair of you to sit in the pub every afternoon and drink my tab dry within a week. You work on it and maybe meet up Monday evenings when I'm in Farnham anyway.'

'Now that you're retired, you can help work on the lyrics.' Jo said.

I'll keep you posted.

blessings
ffetcher
Old 04-20-15   #58
ffetcher

Azumai had a gig at the Oxford Folk Festival yesterday, and Jo's partner was away, so we'd planned to work on the stuff in the morning and grab a spot of lunch out. Saturday afternoon I got a 'phone-call from the leader of another dance group. She had a problem, needed a favour. Now the politics between my local group and hers is such that (a) it had to be a serious problem, (b) I was her only option and (c) it was costing her deep in pride to have to ask.

Upshot was that I ended up doing Oxford. Their muso has personal problems (a bereavement coming up, maybe already has) and basically if I said no, the leader would cancel, which would in fact mean that the muso would have gone rather than disappoint the dancers. Regulars will know that I've done exactly that myself a few times in the past; I'm trying to reduce my commitments but there are times you just don't say no. Called Jo, who simply said 'if I can get a ride with you guys, I'll come over, we can work on it when you're not playing (which by the nature of the beast is much of the time) and I'll buy you lunch somewhere'.

So we spent several happy hours in the 'Four Candles' (A Wetherspoon pub named for the Two Ronnies sketch) with various other performers dropping in to see how we were doing. Upshot is that we got two segments blocked out, and we'll try them out after tonight's session in The Stile. Then the women will work on the melody lines on Wednesday evening, and I'll have a go at the actual lyrics for next Monday. This is hard work but we're learning a lot about how the Trouveres put their music together. More soon.

blessings
ffetcher
Old 04-26-15   #59
ffetcher

As almost always, a change of plan. We decided that the two transformations (a kind of musical "peppers' ghost") at the end of blocks two and four, the ones we'd done, should be tackled last - on Monday morning I showed Jo the marked entrance route for the glade and left her to it; she came up with exactly the same two as I had. So, that left part of Monday and optionally Tuesday and part of Wednesday to work on block one, for the lasses to have a go at the melody lines on Wednesday. Then I'll stick lyrics to it. It's an iterative process.

This worked until Wednesday evening. Jo's partner and I were banished to the other pub to play crib while they worked. An hour in, I got a call. "We wish you hadn't called it 'Into the Forest' - it keeps comiong out like 'Mull of Kintyre'." I thought for a minute and suggested they think of it as 'Val Sans Retour' and think of the Golden Tree. Azumai apparently described the real place near Paimpont, Jo 'got it' and they finished up by ten. Of course, the continuo then needed modifying, and I presented it on Friday. Jo and her partner were both there, to sign NDAs for the Sullivan stuff[1], and with everyone present the group now won't fit around the big table. Jo's partner commented that the composition process seemed somehow clinical.

Cheryl, the manageress, summed it up better than I've ever managed. "If I understand this stuff right, it's transformational magic. So for it to work, the emotions have to fit inside the rules." I like that.

The aim is to put it together in a form that we can record in a studio and mix properly, as music to play as preparation for sleep. If we achieve that, I'll make it available to ESF members for free.

blessings
ffetcher

[1] The librarian commented (perhaps muttered is a better term) "I'm not quite sure why we bother any more: from the number of these we have in the file it's quite possible that there are more electronic copies of parts of your transcriptions around the city than Sullivan's original print run."

Last edited by ffetcher; 06-24-15 at 03:27 AM. Reason: typos
Old 06-26-15   #60
ffetcher

Weather was good enough to walk up to the glade. The blossom is long gone, of course, but with the recent rain and in the current sunshine, it's like an umbrella of green. Very inspirational for further work on the 'Fae Queen's Crown' - natch, we've got distracted on that.

We did Gyngalyn's song by way of a ritual - not what it was meant for, but hey... And Jo and her partner and Lou and her partner intend doing the same over the weekend.

blessings
ffetcher