Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Native American Spirituality

Native American Spirituality Exploring Native American Spirituality, Magic and Mythology

Old 09-29-09   #11
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: The "Vision Quest".... Black Elk Speaks

Elk Medicine

Elk medicine teaches us that by pacing ourselves we increase our stamina. Elk people may not complete a project first, but when it is done they have not burned themselves out. Elk are able to look at the long journey and to "hit their stride" to maintain energy and perseverance.

Animal spirit Elk reminds us of the importance of community, most especially fellowship with our same gender. Herds of elk are normally female or male and only unite during mating season. We are reminded by Elk that there is always support if we need it.

Elk also tells us to be aware of subtle changes around us and to be ready for a quick response.

Elk medicine stands for stamina, strength, nobility, pride, and survival.

Ted Andrews - Animal Speak
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09   #12
Darkwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntwinedSoul View Post
*elk*.........stamina, ability to travel for long distances.......its best defense is to out run its preditor....the elk shares its abilites to go for the long haul and not give up tooo soon
Also their is a time to spend with friends of the same sex, yet also with the opposite.............
that is just what I remember off the top of my head........

What I know about deer is that they have the gift of unconditional love to share............they love without fear, gentle
The unconditional love aspect sit's very nicely with my model & I am very grateful to you for this insight.

I had only previously studied deer as part of the Kama-Sutra Indian Indian perspective a few years ago,where they describe 3 female *types*,deer being one.

rep!

In love,

DW
Old 10-01-09   #13
Darkwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
The Clann's of Scotland are one that is always with me. My mother's side comes down from the Clann Morrison (sorry can't think of how to spell the Mac version) from the Isle of Lewis in the Hebredies. Father's line has parts of the Clann O'Siochru from Ireland in thier lineage.

I do know there were hidden names for many of them but have not found a good source for what those names were. I think there were also sub-clann names like wolf or bear from some writings I saw but can't prove that either.

Saddly I can not prove beyond a doubt about the Native American heritage in my blood line. I have been told I have (had) a grandfather that was a shamanic practioner but never had a chance to meet him.
The name Morrison is synonimous with Freemasonry in Dennistoun,I know a couple of dozen Morrison's who are all pillar's of the community,every one a rough diamond.

Too bad about your G/F,if he is he will be in touch with you often from flipside.You know how he died?

Great Love,

DW

I dunno much about the Irish side of thing's other than the Scot's originally dwelt in Ulster for some time,and many of the Irish tribes are synonimous with the Ard-ghylle(argylle-east westerner's.where east meet's west)peninsula.The Scot's Valley of the King's is deep in the Argylle Peninsula,& it leads to the most interesting Neolithic site in Europe at Kilmartin.

Clann O'Siochru sound's like McSorley to me?dunno bud.
Old 03-20-10   #14
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Bump

Fera let me know if these are the items you were refering to in your pm
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10   #15
feranaja

MonSno - I just now got the chance to read through this. I love Black Elk's simple prayer to the directions, often in the woods I will say something similar, spontaneous, just envision the Wheel and myself at the Center, make an offering and speak words like this. I always feel the protection of the forest around me, of the spirits of this land.
Have never been on a true vision quest, but at my first initiation I paddled up Lake Opeongo (12 miles) and fasted/meditated for a day and a half, then had a dream which I did not understand at the time but I know now to have been shamanic (my hands were cut off and I had to find the right place to have them sewn back on).
I would love to do something similar again, now I feel I have a bit more wisdom behind me.
Yes this was exactly what I was hoping for! Thank you.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10   #16
Ravenbear
Educated Redneck Injun

When I was in better health and a younger man I was trying very hard to be allowed to do a Sundance in the traditional way.. Now I know my health would not let me, and it is the time when I have gained the wisdom to be allowed to..

There is wisdom of the Earth that I know I will never find here and need to follow a different path, Black Elk was one to travel that path.

Heaven is a place where, when you get there, all the dogs you ever loved come running out to greet you.

Yes, I have Indian blood in me, and just enough white blood for you to question my honesty..
-Will Rogers as the Cherokee Kid

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.' -Nietzsche

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such."
- John Holmes

Forgive me Father, for I am a Warrior, for I can never forget.- Over heard in the dark and heat of an Iraqis night.

Ravenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10   #17
feranaja

Why do you say you'll never find it, RB? I believe any sincere seeker will have the doorways opened before him.

Shane Parrish
Old 04-14-10   #18
Ravenbear
Educated Redneck Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Why do you say you'll never find it, RB? I believe any sincere seeker will have the doorways opened before him.
Just keeping myself humble thats all.. I think ego is the biggest barrier to finding the paths that we want..

Heaven is a place where, when you get there, all the dogs you ever loved come running out to greet you.

Yes, I have Indian blood in me, and just enough white blood for you to question my honesty..

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.' -Nietzsche

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such."
- John Holmes

Forgive me Father, for I am a Warrior, for I can never forget.- Over heard in the dark and heat of an Iraqis night.

Old 04-14-10   #19
feranaja

Absolutely it is. But that's not the same thing as, knowing we are here to serve something and offering ourselves up to that service...is it?

One thing I absolutely believe about the path to knowledge is, as long as we seek the keys for our own ends, it will never be given to us. Only after we surrender our desires and seek with a pure heart, to knowledge in order to advance the spiritual evolution of humanity, only then do we receive.
but this is anther topic isn't it...

Shane Parrish
Old 04-14-10   #20
Ravenbear
Educated Redneck Injun

No I do not think it is another topic, I think Black Elk would keep it here..

My own journey has been one where my ego has gotten into my way to the path i must follow, so I keep my head bowed and humble..
You would have to know of my past to understand this fully..
I was humbled by Raven in a very harsh manner and my spirit torn apart and my life and I had to rebuild it all, I do not need to be hit with the Cosmic Wrecking ball more than once..

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Absolutely it is. But that's not the same thing as, knowing we are here to serve something and offering ourselves up to that service...is it?

One thing I absolutely believe about the path to knowledge is, as long as we seek the keys for our own ends, it will never be given to us. Only after we surrender our desires and seek with a pure heart, to knowledge in order to advance the spiritual evolution of humanity, only then do we receive.
but this is anther topic isn't it...

- John Holmes