Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Enchantment > Faerie Lore and Magic

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Fethenwen

Default Fairies and newborn babies

So... I have a three month old little baby girl. And she does a few peculiar things that makes me wonder...

She can stare at a blank wall or ceiling, in the dark, and laugh and giggle like there is something there she is seeing that I am not
Sometimes it's hard to get her to concentrate to eat, because she keeps turning her head and look at nothing. That is typical of babies in this age as their senses grow sharper and they start to observe the world around them.

My mom said the other day half jokingly that her grandmother used to say that babies are able to see fairies and gnomes who likes to entertain and soothe them. Well, now I do understand why one would assume such!

What's your input, ever heard of such a claim before?

Last edited by Fethenwen; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added some
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: Fairies and newborn babies

I've heard that but I've also heard that children also see our ancestors who watch over family lines. As such it means they see the "dead" often as bright spots or actual people who will often interact with them. Like the fae, because we don't see the ancestors for the most part, they have that surreal influence upon them. Almost a trickster type influence because they see them and we for the most part don't.

Unfortunately, there is the idea that they may also see other dead spirits that also walk. That is where the idea of "Invisible Friends" often comes into play from. However, it's also where the idea of some night terror's also come into play from. So those type of "dead" spirits lay on both sides of the spectrum as to whether they can cause laughter or terror to children. Though it seems as if child spirits seem often to be playful while adult's seem to either fall into the protector role or terror role more often.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Fethenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
I've heard that but I've also heard that children also see our ancestors who watch over family lines. As such it means they see the "dead" often as bright spots or actual people who will often interact with them. Like the fae, because we don't see the ancestors for the most part, they have that surreal influence upon them. Almost a trickster type influence because they see them and we for the most part don't.

Unfortunately, there is the idea that they may also see other dead spirits that also walk. That is where the idea of "Invisible Friends" often comes into play from. However, it's also where the idea of some night terror's also come into play from. So those type of "dead" spirits lay on both sides of the spectrum as to whether they can cause laughter or terror to children. Though it seems as if child spirits seem often to be playful while adult's seem to either fall into the protector role or terror role more often.
Oh yeah that reminds me! My cousin said that her two year old says there is a lady in their house (they live in an old house). She finds it a bit disturbing, especially the first time "the old lady" was mentioned. One day she asked her daughter if she can count all who is living in her house. So she mentioned her mom, dad, their two dogs and "the old lady". Did not get much clarification on who she meant by "the old lady", just that there's an old lady too.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Congratulations Fethenwen ! Yes I believe they can see, my children did, one still does.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Fethenwen

Thanks! I did not know you have kids. How lovely I guess also some children are more sensitive than others to seeing them.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
Thanks! I did not know you have kids. How lovely I guess also some children are more sensitive than others to seeing them.
That's an interesting question. Are more children more sensitive than others, or do some adults and parents simply notice it more in their children? I've seen adults and parents who wouldn't notice anything their children did as unusual. Whether it was because they truly didn't pay close attention to their child or couldn't accept the possibility themselves of something "Unusual" being there. Yet other's who noticed anytime their children might pause to stare off into space for even a few moment. Much less speak to something or someone who wasn't there for them to see.

All of that heavily influenced by the age of the child and / or children and how they responded to it. Settling upon any alternative from something medically wrong to imagination of the child in question. That is again presuming they actually notice themselves or it is noticed by another adult or even another child.