Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > The Physical Temple

The Physical Temple Care and feeding of the body, nutrition, herbs and supplements, exercise, alternative healing modalities - all fit here

Old 05-11-15   #1
feranaja

Default Possible Bursitis

I'm just posting here as I have had an on again-off again pain in my right hip, which flared up yesterday and kept me up half the night (just what I need, less sleep). It's not a really awful agonizing pain, such as TheThing experiences with his sciatica - it's a dull ache that is just bad enough to wake me up, and it resolves when I stand up (leading me to believe it's structural somehow, not ovarian cancer as I feared). I don't know for sure but I *think* it's related to hiking - Dan and I did a significant amount of climbing on the walk yesterday - but to be fair that's not unusual and I have may times gone on a hike with a lot of hills and NOT had this pain at night. It's strange too, I will wake up with it, turn over and it's gone, but then wake up with it again, even on the other side. Standing up totally relieves it, as does sitting (I've been at my desk an hour and no pain at all).

I've been looking online at some possibilities, and I think the pain is caused by one of these:
http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-r...ormis-syndrome

I've been eating far fewer inflammatory foods since TheThing left (he's a devil, really) and no alcohol - I'm using a number of herbal concoctions as well, including Devil's Claw, Willow,Viburnum, Corydalis and Vervain (this latter combo is great for nerve pain) I won't bore you with it all. I love Black Cohosh for his kind of pain but I don't tolerate it well...so that's out the window. Longterm management is better than trying to use herbs as drug-replacements and getting inferior results (I just broke down and took 2 Tylenol which didn't help a whole lot either).

I was hoping Rosie might have some suggestions, or anyone have experience with this kind of pain? Yoga seems to be helpful, and I've wanted to practise for some years now.

Any suggestions, magical or practical, would be great.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15   #2
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Default Re: Possible Bursitis

If its the hip and low back try pigeoun pose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVlX5HNKamw
or reverse pigeoun (for piriformis muscle ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6AA_W5zjzM

These will help before and after your hike.

Ice the area as well will keep inflammation down.
Let me know I can look up some others but these are tried and true.

To help faster, breath in and out through your nose while in the position...also, go slow, work up to the total pose

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15   #3
feranaja

Ok, for sure! As you know I am ambivalent about ice, we often need that inflammation to heal something, and honestly I was craving heat.(A few articles on ice, below) right now I'm going to soak in an Epsom salt bath with Willow bark, rose and whatever other anti-inflammatory herb I have handy. I'm trying larger single doses of individual herbs instead of a formula of many - Viburnum this morning.

http://stoneathleticmedicine.com/201...ot-the-answer/

Mark always has such up to date and balanced insight:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/shoul...#axzz3Zpo6FXPU

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/p...ng-sooo-wrong/

I've taken all of this to heart in my herbal first aid work with animals. Just some interesting thoughts here.

Will try these stretches for sure, I knew you'd have something.

Shane Parrish
Old 05-11-15   #4
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Those are good articles.

Well, in practice we will have the person alternate ice and heat for 2-3 days or a week depending on the severity: this is with an injury, we will also have them do moist heat only..baths, showers, water bottle and alternate.
My husband prefers ice, it tricks the brain to send more blood to the area, hence helping it heal as well as warm the tissue. I will show him those articles.

Old 05-11-15   #5
feranaja

I do think there's a place for ice, but not the panacea we were all taught it was. I believe too, in going with what you're craving. I wish I knew what this was, although it's kind of moved to the centre of my lower back. Time will tell.

Shane Parrish
Old 05-11-15   #6
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Can you see a Chiropractor or Naprapath?

Old 05-11-15   #7
feranaja

I wouldnt see a naturopath as I can handle that end myself, and usually much better, at least based on what my clients tell me.

a chiro, maybe, but I think I will see a regular MD first and get their take on it. It's a weird sensation for sure.

Shane Parrish
Old 05-12-15   #8
feranaja

See, and today there is NO pain whatsoever. GONE. I suspect it has to do with hiking . I rested yesterday (it was raining) and today I'll likely have to forego the hike, with a whole bunch of chores to get done (and rain).
If it was bursitis, I don't think it would just, you know, vanish like that?

Shane Parrish