Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > The Physical Temple

The Physical Temple Care and feeding of the body, nutrition, herbs and supplements, exercise, alternative healing modalities - all fit here

Old 01-02-15   #1
Flailing Idiot
DOUCHEBAG

Default what is a healthy breakfast

For years, since I was a little kid, I have always traditionally eaten cereal in the morning. I don't really know any better. Luckily when I was a kid, my parents were poor and wouldn't allow me any of those intensely sugared craps like honeycomb, fruit loops or count chocula, all of which I desperately wanted since all my friends ate them, but my parents couldn't afford them anyway, so I ate the plain stuff.

I've read how unhealthy breakfast cereals can be, and have wondered what are the alternatives? When I've been out on tour I tended to eat eggs, oatmeal, sometimes having to skip breakfast and eat a lunch of sorts as breakfast. I have a small idea of what -could- be better.

While I travelled through Europe playing a few years ago, one thing that struck me, especially Italy, was the complete lack of breakfast cereals anywhere. One morning a place we were put up at, we were given homemade risotto (made by "mommy fresh that morning", some sort of fish thing which was amazing, we drank espresso (of course) followed by some wine (only because well we were festive) but I recall feeling like a million bucks (not because of the wine I assure you) and when I asked them what they normally ate for breakfast, they looked at me not knowing what I was asking. "we eat this" they said.

So they just eat normally in the morning. They didn't buy into this idea that breakfast should be some special part of the day that required special dumbed down concoction in a box. This made sense to me.

I know some of you have a wealth of knowledge regarding this, opinions and beliefs vary greatly sometimes, but I'm interested in hearing what they may be. I'm ready to ditch the cereal.
Flailing Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-15   #2
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Default Re: what is a healthy breakfast

Well, you could learn to make your own granola (it's easy, fun and you can customize to your heart's content -- or stomach). That way you can still eat cereal if you wish, but you'll know exactly what kind of wholesome ingredients are in it.

I cook with cast iron pans almost religiously, because it makes cooking fast and clean up easy (if you keep it well cared for). If I absolutely must have a hot breakfast I do omelets or some kind of potatoes, sausage and eggs scramble (with plenty of chopped greens thrown in at the last second).

It really depends on your constitution and what you have time/funds for. Sometimes I just pop down to the gluten-free bakery and get one of their chocolate chip/oat scones and that holds me over until lunch
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-15   #3
brokenwings

I quite like that idea of eating normal food at breakfast ...makes sense as it will set you up nicely for the day ahead. However if your short on time in the mornings i guess cooking a big meal would not be the most convenient thing to do.
I try to limit cold breakfast cereals and tend to cook more oat porridges in the mornings for my children, Especially on cold days as its quick, warm and filling!! other morning meals i make for my household is banana sandwiches, yoghurt and fruitsalads, eggs and bacon etc, (not all at once though lol) .

brokenwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-15   #4
feranaja

I eat a Zone bar; gluten free, not entirely vile, and the macronutrient content (fat, carb and protein) is balanced in such a way as to keep my blood sugar level for 4 hours or so. I've tried dozens of recipes with better ingredients, but none of them "worked". I eat in the morning solely to keep from fainting. I believe we should all eat what our system indicates, and I also think we overdo grains. Are you familiar with the Paleo diet approach, Tim? I don't believe in the concept of one optimal diet for all people, but Paleo has room for individual variations and does seem to work for many. My one complaint, of course, is it is heavy on animal products, which may be good for us, but is hell on earth for millions of sentient beings, every day. I would much prefer we ate less meat and better quality, there is no comparison between supermarket beef and chicken, and pastured, healthier animals.

THE best popular nutrition site I know of is here.http://chriskresser.com/
Mark Sisson has a good site as well, with many recipe ideas: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz3NghdXB59

One important starting place, figure out what ratio of macronutrient works best for YOU. Some people do better with more fat, some with protein from animal sources, some can handle all these carbs (cereals, toast, fruit and yogurt) and many of us can't. Start thinking in terms of nutrient levels, and how you are affected by them - and you're on your way.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-15   #5
Flailing Idiot
DOUCHEBAG

I don't mind protein from animals, but just not much in the way of red meat. I've never eaten much of that, and limit that to probably a few times a month. Literally.

I've thought of making homemade granolas, and looking at various other ideas. We decided to soon invest in a small freezer for the basement, as I try to often get our meats usually chicken turkey etc) from some natural farms here north of the city, like Baretta, and rowe farms, we'd like to get a larger order for the freeze that'd last the month so we have it on hand more as availability of good healthy meats is sometimes potty in supermarkets here.

I'll check out those links thanks.

I've never responded well to bars of any kind, unless home made fro some reason. I've used the odd one when I needed a quick kick before heading in for a brutal gym session, but those things have never well agreed with me.

I have a nice recipe for an almond butter bar thing, it's only unfortunate ingredient in it is low fat sweet and condensed milk (or fortunate when you taste it ) but the ingredients are all organic when I buy, pumpkin seeds etc.

I'll need to find a substitute for the low fat see condensed milk I... suppose
Old 01-02-15   #6
feranaja

Check this space(fritatta is nice, you can use what you have, and eat it am or pm): http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-15   #7
petrus4
Leaper

Cereal is convenient, at a time of the day when your brain probably isn't functioning well enough to cook anything complicated. It tends to come with several downsides, however.

a} Sugar. Most cereals are full of this, because they are made by companies whose goal is to produce something which tastes good, so that you will buy more of it. In addition to the various other problems which sugar causes, eating a lot of it first thing in the morning is a particularly bad idea. Your brain will get a big initial glucose hit, which will cause you to think that you've woken up; but you will experience a crash in mid-morning, in proportion with the spike.

b} Lack of fibre. Most heavily processed cereals remove a lot of the fibre associated with grains. This largely defeats the purpose of eating grain in the first place, since fibre tends to be one of the best things about it. It regulates both blood pressure and blood sugar, and also helps maintain bowel regularity.

c} Expense. A 1 kg box of cereal will usually cost close to $10 AUD.

If you want to get all of the fibre which that processed Nutri-Grain has had taken out of it, look for the cheap ($1-$2) bags of loose oats and bran, which are normally only bought by a small minority of people who aren't taken in by cereal marketing. It will tend to have a higher nutritional value as well, because it is unprocessed.

With all of the above said, I generally don't eat cereal. I have oats in my locker, but I'm not a huge fan of porridge. Savoury rice or quinoa (with oil and salt) are more likely to be eaten by me than boxed cereal.

The main reason why I don't eat cereal, is because usually when I'm hungry I want either protein, or something which is going to produce a strong sense of satiety. For me at least, cereal doesn't do that. The conventional cereal/toast breakfast isn't really designed to be truly filling, as much as it is quick. You eat it to get the easy carb/glucose high, but then have some real food at around 10-11 AM, when the sugar crash from said quick breakfast kicks in.

My advice for a reasonably quick but healthy breakfast, would be to cook some jasmine rice and lentils (maybe daal) the night before, and throw it in a plastic container in the fridge. When you get up, empty said container into a saucepan, and give it 5-10 minutes on a medium flame to reheat it before eating.

That will give you close to a complete protein, and if you've spiced the daal well, numerous other nutritional benefits.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-15   #8
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I starting making frittata's for the holiday.. great for leftovers. Normally I do yogurt and granola, gluten free by Jessica. Oatmeal from steel cut oats. Breakfast is not my favorite meal, I am usually good with coffee and an orange...but....I do try to eat something. Not a cereal fan either.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-15   #9
Flailing Idiot
DOUCHEBAG

I've had sometimes organic steel cut oats, a couple boiled eggs. I don't mind this combo, just thought there must be other healthy ideas too, the frittatas sound great.
Old 01-02-15   #10
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Here is a recipe I just used christmas day.....you can actually just use whatever is handy. The 2nd one I just cut everything in half. It lasted a couple of days. Its good for lunch too.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ttata-51107800

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote