Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Ritual Magic

Ritual Magic Exploration of ritual magic from the Golden Dawn to the myriad modern offshoots

Old 08-10-09   #11
petrus4
Leaper

Default Re: Liber V, the Ritual of the Beast

"The Magician should devise for himself a definite technique for destroying "evil." The essence of such a practice will consist in training the mind and the body to confront things which case fear, pain, disgust, shame and the like. He must learn to endure them, then to become indifferent to them, then to become indifferent to them, then to analyze them until they give pleasure and instruction, and finally to appreciate them for their own sake, as aspects of Truth. When this has been done, he should abandon them, if they are really harmful in relation to health and comfort. Also, our selection of "evils" is limited to those that cannot damage us irreparably."

This principle, of course, is at the very heart of the Left Handed aspect of Kali's worship. I actually tried to apply it in making invocatory contact with Baphomet, not so long ago. The resulting energy brought me very close to literally vomiting. My stomach had a bad reaction to Paimon, but it wasn't as bad even in his case.

It wasn't that long ago that I finally got over the amount of baggage I had mentally about using even an upright pentagram; I think it will be a very long time (if ever) before I feel ok about using an inverse one.

I think some aversions are, to some extent, based on common sense. Chaos has taught me to believe that symbols have power. The main reason why I never want to use an inverse pent myself, is because of, energetically speaking, where it's been.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-09   #12
aedria

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
This principle, of course, is at the very heart of the Left Handed aspect of Kali's worship. I actually tried to apply it in making invocatory contact with Baphomet, not so long ago. The resulting energy brought me very close to literally vomiting. My stomach had a bad reaction to Paimon, but it wasn't as bad even in his case.

It wasn't that long ago that I finally got over the amount of baggage I had mentally about using even an upright pentagram; I think it will be a very long time (if ever) before I feel ok about using an inverse one.

I think some aversions are, to some extent, based on common sense. Chaos has taught me to believe that symbols have power. The main reason why I never want to use an inverse pent myself, is because of, energetically speaking, where it's been.
It's apparent that when you think of the averse pentagram the only connotation you have attached to it is "evil". This need not be!

Literally speaking, the point of the pentagram represents spirit. With the ritual of Regulus you are drawing spirit down and drawing energies down to you rather than attaching and reaching for energies from above. These energies are not "evil" or even negative. They are energies, pure and simple. The point, remember, meaning spirit, therefore in the averse pentagram is spirit drawn down to you, earth, malkuth.

It is odd for me to even think of Baphomet as an entity with any negativity attached to it. Baphomet represents the Great Work completed, the elixer of life. Baphomet being the symbol of male and female, animal and human, positive and negative conjoined. That is why when I am doing the Gnostic Mass, one of the invocations invokes into me, the Priestess, Baphomet.

My experience with Baphomet is much like my experience with the deity of Mercury. Androgynous, with attributes of both male and female in perfect due proportions. It is a very powerful energy, but the stregnth is in nothing dirty, evil or arcane.

What Crowley is saying in that statement is that one must see and understand why they are conditioned in such a way as to discern "good" and "evil" in terms defined by the human condition. A good practice which brings one to this end is to find some kind of enjoyment in that which you find repugnant.

My personal meditation on this exact thing has to do with heat. I abhor the heat and summer- so this summer I am spending as much time as possible in places of extreme heat. At this point, about two months into the meditation, I am finding much enjoyment and even comfort in the heat of my temple (usually around 105) and my kitchen while cooking- sometimes gets up to 110.

Last edited by aedria; 08-10-09 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-21-09   #13
aedria

I've performed the ritual and placed it on youtube temporarily.

Enjoy!

Old 10-21-09   #14
Goaty Glee
Cosmonaut

First, let me begin by saying its been years since I've done Thelemic ritual and even then I was self taught so take this as you Will.

Second, your courage to Do rather than talk, think, wank about ritual is commendable even more so as you have posted a video!

Third, it felt to me that some of the holy names could have been intoned with a bit more patience and intention (to borrow a martial arts term...applicable in this case for sure!! lol) Of course I'm not in your subjective universe so all sorts of things could have been going on or you could have been looking at this as a "how to" sort of video rather than a full fledged application of the ritual.

Fourth, more like a 3.5, I've never used the "twirling" in Liber V as I never had the space. Do you think this will pose a problem with a group setting? Even with nerves running high one could spin themselves right onto the floor! Have you worked the ritual with a stealthy catlike, predator like prowl rather than the spin?

Great work!!

http://www.lloydkeane.com/-Web Site
North Star Pylon (Canadian Pylon of the Temple of Set)
Goaty Glee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09   #15
aedria

Thanks GG, I needed some constructive criticism

I've tried to do the ritual basically running rather than spinning, I've felt it more with the spin in the heart chakra. First six months I did the ritual I spent sick to my stomach but the advantages were that I have a much stronger constitution to spinning.
I would get a little louder but there are a few factors- one of them being Reguli at naptime for the little ones and very nosey neighbors who already think I'm some kind of witch. LOL

I'm not sure if it will pose much of a problem with group setting, I'll be leading teaching it but I don't know if anyone will actually get up and perform it. It would be cool if they did, but people are shy around my Oasis.

There is a group Reguli, which I could possibly involve others in while teaching the class, that has much less spinning >