Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Ritual Magic

Ritual Magic Exploration of ritual magic from the Golden Dawn to the myriad modern offshoots

Old 08-19-09   #1
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Default Ritual Clothes

What do you where when doing one of your rituals?

Do you bath first with certain oils and scents?

Do you preform them without clothes?

When giving a Reiki treatment or when giving energy transfers to people learning Reiki we do a simple fast, for 10 days, no alcohol or drugs, light diet. We wear white or light clothes. I have bent the rules on some of this, but I try to keep it as close to the original as possible.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09   #2
Blackcat

Default Re: Ritual Clothes

I don't have an answer I am also curious on this. I have read that in ritual magick the clothing should be only natural materials (i.e. no synthetic), and I think I read something about metal.. is this accurate?
Blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09   #3
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

I wear my pj's because they're comfy. I don't cleanse specifically for a ritual. I took my clothes off during my dedication, it's the only time my clothing was an actual aspect of ritual.

I fast quite regularly but again not in conjunction with a specific ritual. It certainly has an effect though.

I've been called lazy, which I'm not. It's just that I like to keep things as simple as possible. This feels like a mark of respect and that's my choice.

I'd say that anything goes. If I felt it was right to do the funky chicken I'd do it.

everything happens for a reason

Nesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09   #4
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Yes, clothing should be as natural, as you can get it. I bend those for the attunment session, but mostly someone always has something cotton.
About the metal, I had made an altar out of an old computer desk, and it has some really cool scrolled metal, on the sides, but its mostly wood. Then I read that it should be completely wood. Its more for decoration and a place to keep my sacred items right now.

Old 08-19-09   #5
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesta View Post
I wear my pj's because they're comfy. I don't cleanse specifically for a ritual. I took my clothes off during my dedication, it's the only time my clothing was an actual aspect of ritual.

I fast quite regularly but again not in conjunction with a specific ritual. It certainly has an effect though.

I've been called lazy, which I'm not. It's just that I like to keep things as simple as possible. This feels like a mark of respect and that's my choice.

I'd say that anything goes. If I felt it was right to do the funky chicken I'd do it.
I don't think your lazy, I feel the same way.

Old 08-19-09   #6
Brigidrose
Mermaid

When I do the Reiki attunment I feel I have to follow as close as I can. With my rituals at home for spells and intentions, I have been known to say thing in the shower

Old 08-19-09   #7
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

In the shower, when I'm washing dishes, when I'm on the toilet even. Anything works for me.

Nesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09   #8
aedria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigidrose View Post
What do you where when doing one of your rituals?

Do you bath first with certain oils and scents?

Do you preform them without clothes?
Although I do have a couple of ritual robes, I generally work skyclad. If it is high magick I bathe in hyssop prior to the ritual, otherwise it's just au naturale. Often I do anoint myself with oil of abramelin. Very often I burn sage prior to banishing.
Old 08-19-09   #9
Nyarlatbrotep
destroyer of worlds

Old smelly gym shorts and a t-shirt. The smellier, the better.
Old 08-19-09   #10
Daedralord

Depends on the intensity of the ritual though I realize this may seem to mark some rituals as "unimportant" which they definitely are not to me.

For big rituals I have a full ritual bath and bless and consecrate the water I may add salts and oils. I don't have a robe but I wear comfortable clothes I set aside for magic. I do want a robe though...

Anyway even for daily rituals I always wash my face and hands and feel the "stains" accumulated during the day washing away with all cares and worries. I may sometimes do daily rituals in regular clothes or even in my pj's.

As for natural materials. It would be best I have also heard that certain materials may effect the magic. Silk may be a good insulator of energy and usually a robe should not have buttons because it restricts energy flow. All sorts of requirements but I have never really given thought as to their logic and reason so can't really comment.