Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Ritual Magic > Avalonian Magic

Avalonian Magic Grail Mysteries, Arthurian studies, all magic and study related to Avalon and the Matter of Britain

Old 06-14-11   #1
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

Default The Arthurian myth is a how-to guide on psychic temple opening...

Right, this just struck me today.
I think the entire Arthurian mythology is a metaphor for the opening of a Temple.

There are three primary players, The Magician, the High Priest (or Heirophant if you prefer) and the High Priestess.

The Magician, Merlin, is actually in control of it all. In the same way that the most powerful thing at a chessboard is not the King or the Queen but, rather, the person moving the pieces.

Early on in the myth Merlin is putting in place the processes required to bring Arthur into the position of High Priest.

Once Arthur is ready Merlin guides him into seperating the Earth from Water or the Masculine from the Feminine. Bizarrely, there seem to be two versions of this process in one story:

When the sword is removed from the stone, Arthur is seizing a piece of the earth - all elements, the universe if you like - and bringing it into the world of man to be the centre of the Temple/his kingdom.
When the Lady of the Lake gifts him his sword he is supplicating himself before such forces and they are granting him the seperation - Earth and Water form two seperate pillars through which is the portal that brings the Temple from the astral or inner plane into the physical world.

Either way probably works, and which is best probably depends on the High Priest's temperament or the Magician's. Both, actually. This brings the astral into the physical world. There is now a connection, magic walks the earth unbound. So you have to bind it...

You now need Arthur, the High Priest, to find his High Priestess, Guinevere. This is required because to match the astral temple on earth there must be a masculine and a feminine force at work - no astral temple will be wholly comprised of one or the other.

Then the acolytes (the Knights of the Round Table) are gathered, with Merlin guiding their rites but the High Priest and High Priestess ostensibly leading them. Thus you open the gateway, contain the magic and magic can reign on earth in the area that the High Priest and High Priestess command.

There is a warning here, though. Merlin 'dies' (trapped in a tree/cave/hill), though his astral spirit does continue to guide the Temple, the Temple is in the physical world and without his guidance begins to crumble. The fact that it is operating in the physical world means it cannot last forever and the astral Temple is corrupted by being under the control of corrupted beings.

Everything falls apart and in the end the High Priest gives the instructions on how to close the link to his last surviving Acolyte (throw the sword back in the lake - unite earth and water, masculine and feminine once again) who does so and thus spares the astral Temple being corrupted by its physical equivalent. The time of Camelot can come again because the astral Temple is still there, still pure.

So the whole thing is a guide on not just attaining contact with a Temple of the inner plane but bringing it right down to earth, but also a warning that such a link cannot last forever or disaster will doubtless ensue - don't be greedy as Merlin was and try to create the inner plane's rules on the physical plane, there are reasons these two are seperate in the normal course of things.

Make sense? Think I'm crazy? Opinions please.

"For the meek shall inherit absolutely nothing at all, if you stopped being so feeble you could have so much more" - Pulp 'The Day After The Revolution'
Lord Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11   #2
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Default Re: The Arthurian myth is a how-to guide on psychic temple opening...

This is very interesting. I have always held a great fascination for Arthurian myth. To this day, I remember the phrase "he is the forever king". It is almost like Arthur himself lives because of the stories we tell about him. That alone makes me wonder if Camelot and Avalon may be regained or accessed for as long as the stories about them stay alive.

I keep thinking, though, that Arthurian myth often holds two pairs of masculine/feminine energies on different planes: Arthur and Guinevere on the physical and Merlin and Morgana on the astral. For that reason, I cannot fully go along with your theory. The stories of Arthur and Guinevere speak to many, but the stories of Merlin and Morgana only to the very few. Tales about Camelot and Avalon unified all of these stories a long time ago, but even now separate tales are being woven about these two places. I don't think one can bring back Camelot without taking Avalon into account, just as I don't think Avalon is available to those who discount the power of the Round Table of Camelot.
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11   #3
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

Hmm... I took Morgana and the other outside forces they faced to be a part of the adventures in between. She represents what Crowley called the Black Brotherhood, the path of destruction and corrupted magic. She isn't a part of the Psychic Temple, to my mind. After all, while Arthur and Guinevere are a pair that work together, do Merlin and Morganna ever do so?

There is a great deal of sexism in that but, hey, if I'm right about it then it is a very old primer - times have changed somewhat. It's still a useful guide, though.

"For the meek shall inherit absolutely nothing at all, if you stopped being so feeble you could have so much more" - Pulp 'The Day After The Revolution'
Old 06-15-11   #4
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

There are some tales about Merlin and Nimue (Lady of the Lake), but I do not find that link so interesting. What fascinates me about Morgana is that she, like Lilith in Judeo-Christian tales, embodies a different feminine principle. She is almost a counterweight to Arthur's Queen Guinevere, whose only true fault lies in her liaison with Lancelot. Merlin himself is not without fault either, whereas Arthur is 'the one true and perfect King'. The pairing of Arthur with Guinevere and Merlin with Morgana couples two very different masculine/feminine principles together.
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11   #5
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

I think for me I'd have to make the pairings as

Merlin and Queen Maab with regard to the astral or otherworldly construct. Merlin being the bridge between the old teachings and the new where Maab is the personification of the old ways and teachings. One might go so far as to equate them to something larger and make it the universe and its approach to humanity. Merlin the new and manipulating the results, Maab the old and manipulating the results. Each with a willingness to do so in order to achieve their desired results at the expense of those they are manipulating.

Arthur and Guinevere become the physical manifestation of what is good, proper and correct. It or they are the physical properties of Camelot. Purity, love, companionship for instance.

Lancelot and Morgana are actually the inverse manifestations of all Arthur and Guinevere represent. Morgana sort of represents the dark half of the manifestation against Guinevere where Lancelot represents adhearing to it to strickly, almost a counter to Arthurs position.

Then the final merging of Arthur & Morgana produce the child Mordrid who is the physical manifestation of destruction of the physial temple. Theirs is a visible manifestaition of corruption, decay, destruction and the darker elements of the human character. Lancelot and Guinevere produce the manifestation that destroyes the spiritual temple in the sense that their betrayal produces no physical being but is an affront to spiritual and conceptual ideals.
Old 06-15-11   #6
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

Personally, I tend to ignore Lancelot in interpretations like this as he is a later addition, so would not be part of any original pairings or intent. Not that the authors of French romances could not have sneaked in their own alchemical hints, of course, but I prefer to stick with the characters that are older than courtly love.