Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > Magical Tools and Implements

Magical Tools and Implements A place to share techniques and tips for finding and making everything magical; robes, wands, staffs, headdresses, altars, anything used in magic and ritual.

Old 06-22-15   #1
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Question Is It Alright To Work With More Than One Wand?

(Please note that I have posted this same post in several different places - I just need to ensure that I get some valuable responses)...

I have a question for those out there who are much more magickally experienced than me. (That would be, ten years, practicing a free form solitary style of what I would call "generalized Wicca," i.e. I never belonged to any specific tradition and was never part of a formal group or coven).

So anyway, is it alright, or, effective, or, a good/bad idea to work with more than one wand? I absolutely love Abby Willowroot's Willowroot Wands (she's on Facebook, or you can go to WillowRootWands.com). Anyway, I now have four wands.

The very first wand, The Faery Realm Wand, was a birthday gift from my parents that I specifically asked for. The artist's description is as follows, "Tir na nÓg, land of eternal youth, is the realm of the Faeries. Located just beyond the edges of the known map, this mystical land is said to be a place where beings never grow old, get sick or die - where the power of death and decay does not penetrate, a place where tears do not exist. In Tir na nÓg the magic of nature is overwhelming - the trees are perpetually in bloom, beautiful flowers bloom in all the fields and a wonderful aroma fills the land. So deep is the faery magic that the streams and rivers are clear enough to see the bottom, all the wild animals live in harmony and peace with one another and the land is so fertile that there is plentiful harvest even without any labor.

The Faery Realm Wand honors the magic of this mystical, beautiful land. Attuned to the magic of dreams and mystical visions, this wand is vibrant with the essence of Faery magic. The Faery Realm Wand is useful for anyone who has a strong belief in communication between the multiple plains of existence. This wand has a fluid and organic design and is topped by a shimmering multi-faceted Austrian crystal.

The 8.5” Faery Realm Wand is cast in 100% lead-free pewter."

I am very close to this wand as it was my first, and a gift, but I don't use it often. It does sit on my altar though with the Merry Meet Wand as another altar tool item. (Described next).

The next three wands were all bought by me, in the order I'm introducing them here. This wand, the Merry Meet Wand, is my general wand for circle, spells, and sits on my altar as an altar tool. My Faery Realm Wand sits below it though as well on a two-story wand holder. The base has vines that connect into the Earth and the crystal at the top makes contact with the Heavens, therefore piercing the veil - symbolically through the artwork. The actual description by the artist says,

"Our Merry Meet Wand is a simple yet uniquely beautiful wand. The shaft of the wand is a flowing spiral with intertwining branches at the base. The sphere at the top of the wand is held in place by similar intertwining branches.

Hand cast in lead free pewter, the 10" Merry Meet Wand
is equally at home during circle or on your personal altar."

These next two wands I just bought! And am totally in love with! The first one is The Love Spell Wand (small version). I bought this wand specifically to be used in helping me to balance out my love life, ascertain the wisdom to make the right decisions, and to help attract the lover to me that's suited for my greatest and highest good. Here's the artist's description,

"Our delightful Small Love Spells Wand features a vine with flowers wrapped around the shaft. This wand’s energy is romantic, gentle and powerful as it calls forth the essence of love and attraction. The Large Love Spells Wand is perfect for anyone who is seeking their soul mate, as a gift for someone you love or for use in wedding or traditional handfasting ceremonies. The Austrian Crystal shines with different, wondrous colors as it moves in the light. Two hearts on the reverse side let the glistening crystal shine through.

This is an excellent wand for healing your heart and for working with recovery spells. It is a perfect for helping you to accept that you deserve all the best that life has to offer.

Exquisitely cast in 100% lead-free pewter,
our 7” Small Love Spells Wand is the ideal gift of love to give yourself."

This wand was in part a gift to myself as I just came into a lot of money and it's a wand I've gazed at in the catalog for several years as something that I've always really wanted for myself.

Lastly, I ordered a second wand at the same time, part of my gift to myself, but also because I wanted a wand that was specifically suitable for a sea witch, ocean magick, and mermaid and dolphin magick, which I have an affinity and attraction to. Here's the artist's description,

"Mermaids are so intimately linked with water that they both have become symbols of intuition, emotion, our subconscious and deeply primitive realms of mental perception. Syrians and Philistines worshipped a mermaid moon-goddess. The Syrians called her Atargatis while the Philistines knew her as Derceto. A symbol of eloquence and an emblem of enlightenment the mermaid also represented a safe-voyage. Mermaids are also associated with love as they are frequently mentioned with love goddesses like Aphrodite/Venus. They are also affiliated with sea goddesses like Amphitrites, Tethys, Calypso and the Norse sea goddess, Rán.

Dolphins relish water both physically and mentally, swimming freely and going along with their natural feelings. They have a wise, innocent, purity of being which reaches out to our inner nature and beckons us to follow their lead and to open up to the energy of love, harmony and balance. Dolphin reminds us to get out, play and most importantly, to breathe.

Our Mermaid / Dolphin Wand is a beautiful reminder of the elements and the necessity to maintain their balance within life – life of an individual / life of a people. The 8 inch highly textured shaft has a small atlantisite sphere at the bottom and a Aqua sphere at the top.

Hand cast in pewter, the
Mermaid / Dolphin Wand
is an ideal gift for anyone with an affinity with the sea"

So, is it alright to work with several different wands for several different purposes? In the future, I will probably collect even more of Abby's wands. They are just so majestic and magickal! Will my wand magick still have the same efficacy as it would if I worked only with one single wand? So far, all the pagan books I've found on wands seem to stress finding one single lifetime wand that chooses you and you choose it. They never cover the issue of more than one wand choosing you and you choosing it. So what happens when you've been drawn to and created a rapport with four wands? Here are the photos of the wands by the way... And anything anyone can share with me on their experience or thoughts here would be greatly appreciated!

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
Hibiscus Moon Crystal Academy Website Alumni Page
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©
CrystalHealingCare@outlook.com
www.CrystalHealingCare.com

Facebook:Facebook.com/CrystalHealingCare
Twitter:Twitter.com/CrystalHCareCCH
Instagram: Instagram.com/CrystalHealingCare
LadyOfTheTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-15   #2
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Default Re: Is It Alright To Work With More Than One Wand?

I don't think that'd be a problem. Different workings require different tools, right? And the energies belonging to these wands are probably different enough from each other that they wouldn't run interference with one another.

However, I do have one question.. why don't you make your own? I can build up a rapport with premade tools all I want with ease, but nothing (in my experience) beats the tools I made from scratch. Even the ones that were passed down through my family have a greater strength and core to them than the premade stuff does.
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-15   #3
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

I have a bit of an OCD with aesthetics. I'm not very artistically talented myself, and if I create something that I feel is artistically inferior to something else, it bugs me and the self-consciousness starts to permeate the tool and then it ends up not functioning well at all. I do make pendulums though. I mean, I don't cut stones with lapidary saws or tumble things, but I buy jewelry chains, lobster clasps, fobs, weights, charms, and do some silver wire wrapping on occasion, too. I have a couple homemade wands and a half set of Ogham staves I never finished. The homemade wands never get used though in favor of my pewter/silver cast ones that this lady makes. It's ridiculous to value an object so much for the way it looks, but one can't help the way they think and feel about beauty - for the most part; nor can one do much to change their artistic ability if they just aren't wired that way. I'm more of a writer and a reader of oracles, artistically - not good with hands-on stuff.

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 06-22-15   #4
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

But thanks for the response! Sometimes you know something to be true, but you just want to ask someone else to second your opinion for the sake of self-confidence and what-not about what you're doing.

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 06-22-15   #5
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Oh and yes, each of these has very different usages assigned to it.

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 07-21-15   #6
Nocturnal~Witch

1). I'm extremely jealous!! I LOVE her wands and yours are lovely!!

2). Yes, I think it's perfectly fine! I've made two for myself that serve similar, but slightly different purposes.

3). Making your own certainly has its advantages and is rewarding, but I totally understand/empathize with your lack of artistic ability. I will confess that while I'm great w/conceptualization of MANY artistic endeavors, my hubby helps me w/the harder stuff. The harder stuff being carving/wood burning symbols into my wands, affixing crystals/stones, wiring, sanding the style correctly, etc.

I am great at picking out the materials (wood, stones, metals/wiring) deciding on the design itself (which symbols, runes, glyphs, I want, where I want the stones to go, how I want the wiring done, etc.), figuring out which herbs I plan to use for specific purposes to make an herbal infusion to "paint the wand" with (to infuse the herbal properties into the wand) and which oils I want to use to condition the wood (which I'm able to do myself like the herbs) prior to its final completion. Basically I'm the architect and he's the engineer, lol!

4). How do they work for you? I've always been interested in how they work for ritual, how they conduct energy, etc. bc they're made of pewter. How does the energy feel compared to a say, a wand made from wood?

5). Did I mention I was jealous?! Well, envious is a more accurate term as I'm not the jealous type- but I'm certainly envious!!
Old 07-21-15   #7
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Carving and wood burning are the one thing I'm actually pretty good at. I've been working on a set of Ogham staves for awhile now, but for some reason they've been on the back burner. I should finish them. I bought an Avalonian wand though a few days ago from Willowroot, and then I sat on it! OMG! I WAS SO PISSED AT MYSELF TODAY! I bent it back into form, but I could hear the Pewter splintering. It's not falling apart, but it will never have the same strength that it should have. Ironically I had ordered her one other Avalonian wand right after I got this one because I like her Avalonian style stuff so much. So I guess it was all just kismet in the end. Here's the one that got bent and then weakened:

^^ I have it in White Cat's Eye. I doubt it will fall apart, it's just not as strong, physically. It might be stronger magickally though because it went through an "event" now with me. Also, Pewter is the metal for Sagittarius and I think that's why it seems to be much more conductive for me than wood. But that's just a guess.

^^ Here's the new one. It hasn't arrived yet but the top is going to be blue labradorite. At least now I know to be careful with the wands that are thin. My larger ones have been accidentally sat on before and floated around in suitcases and things and there was never an issue. But apparently if they are very, very thin, they're very, very fragile and I guess I just had to learn that the hard way.

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 07-21-15   #8
Nocturnal~Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOfTheTrees View Post
Carving and wood burning are the one thing I'm actually pretty good at. I've been working on a set of Ogham staves for awhile now, but for some reason they've been on the back burner. I should finish them. I bought an Avalonian wand though a few days ago from Willowroot, and then I sat on it! OMG! I WAS SO PISSED AT MYSELF TODAY! I bent it back into form, but I could hear the Pewter splintering. It's not falling apart, but it will never have the same strength that it should have. Ironically I had ordered her one other Avalonian wand right after I got this one because I like her Avalonian style stuff so much. So I guess it was all just kismet in the end. Here's the one that got bent and then weakened:

^^ I have it in White Cat's Eye. I doubt it will fall apart, it's just not as strong, physically. It might be stronger magickally though because it went through an "event" now with me. Also, Pewter is the metal for Sagittarius and I think that's why it seems to be much more conductive for me than wood. But that's just a guess.

^^ Here's the new one. It hasn't arrived yet but the top is going to be blue labradorite. At least now I know to be careful with the wands that are thin. My larger ones have been accidentally sat on before and floated around in suitcases and things and there was never an issue. But apparently if they are very, very thin, they're very, very fragile and I guess I just had to learn that the hard way.
Are you trying to make me cry? JK

I LOVE that one, OMG it's so gorgeous!!

and lol- see you could make a wood wand I bet!!
Old 07-21-15   #9
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

I probably could - if my ADD would allow it, lol. That set of Oghams has been a current project for more than a year now but I could probably finish it in one day if I forced myself to - but then it really wouldn't be fun! Which one did you like the most? These are both only $40 I believe, or at least, one of them was either only $37 or $40. They have brought the prices WAY DOWN from when I got my very first one as a birthday present.

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 07-29-15   #10
Nocturnal~Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOfTheTrees View Post
I probably could - if my ADD would allow it, lol. That set of Oghams has been a current project for more than a year now but I could probably finish it in one day if I forced myself to - but then it really wouldn't be fun! Which one did you like the most? These are both only $40 I believe, or at least, one of them was either only $37 or $40. They have brought the prices WAY DOWN from when I got my very first one as a birthday present.
I really like the Merry Meet one and the Feary Realm one- trying to decide between the two. And really? Last I remember looking at them they were closer to the $100 range?! They've come down in prices huh? Maybe time to take another look.