Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Native American Spirituality

Native American Spirituality Exploring Native American Spirituality, Magic and Mythology

Old 04-30-13   #1
Sun Fish

Default Riddle

What was the difference between living pre-contact Native Americans and living neolithic Europeans? Seriously. And I don't mean dream catchers or bagpipes. You want to learn about Native Americans? Then think about this question. I'll give you some time. I have to clean a few miocene specimens for a collector.
Old 04-30-13   #2
TheThing
Philanthropic Misanthrope

Default Re: Riddle

I don't know about ...."the difference between living pre-contact Native Americans and living neolithic Europeans"....as there were many differences between them.

One difference was livestock. Europeans kept farm animals, Natives did not.

The use of metals - Europeans used copper, bronze, and iron, although that was towards the end of the neolithic period. Native North Americans did not.

Taxation - European leaders taxed the general populace for their war effort, and personal lifestyle. As far as I know, taxation was a foreign concept to any of the different Native bands of North America.

Land ownership would be another significant difference - European leaders, conquered and annexed lands and people. Usually to pillage the resources, then taxed the people to further their war effort. Natives certainly engaged in warfare, often over lands - hunting grounds, etc, but it wasn't done on an ongoing basis in order to build up an empire....or tax base.

So ownership would be another significant difference, and hence greed.
Natives tended to use what they needed - animals, fish, plants, land, etc. Europeans tended to accumulate for the sake of accumulating.

Another difference was, Europeans banded together in relatively large numbers (in the thousands) in fortified settlements (although that was predominantly in the southeast). Native North Americans tended to live in smaller unfortified settlements (many in northwestern Europe did as well).

I'm sure there were other differences as well.

"I am an insane lunatic, and you will all do my bidding." - feranaja, pretending to be me.

When I'm posting in a moderate fashion I'll be Red in the face.
TheThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-13   #3
Atehequa

I could be wrong but doesn't Neolithic mean new stone age? I don't think anyone was smelting bronze or even copper back then. Perhaps they were cold hammering copper nuggets, but that was about it.

The Haudenosaunee and the Muskogee people once lived in stockaded villages where populations sometimes numbered in the thousands.

Ever hear of Cahokia?
Atehequa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-13   #4
TheThing
Philanthropic Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atehequa View Post
I could be wrong but doesn't Neolithic mean new stone age? I don't think anyone was smelting bronze or even copper back then. Perhaps they were cold hammering copper nuggets, but that was about it.
The timeline of the neolithic age varies quite a bit depending where in Europe you are looking at.

From Wikipedia.
Quote:
Neolithic Europe refers to a prehistoric period in which Neolithic technology was present in Europe. This corresponds roughly to a time between 7000 BC (the approximate time of the first farming societies in Greece) and c. 1700 BC (the beginning of the Bronze Age in northwest Europe). The Neolithic overlaps the Mesolithic and Bronze Age periods in Europe as cultural changes moved from the southeast to northwest at about 1 km/year.[1] The duration of the Neolithic varies from place to place, its end marked by the introduction of bronze implements: in southeast Europe it is approximately 4000 years (i.e., 7000 BC–3000 BC) while in Northwest Europe it is just under 3000 years (c. 4500 BC–1700 BC).
Quote:
The Haudenosaunee and the Muskogee people once lived in stockaded villages where populations sometimes numbered in the thousands.
That's interesting.

The Haudenosaunee are Iroquios....no?

I'm not familiar with the Muskogee people.

Quote:
Ever hear of Cahokia?
No I haven't.

"I am an insane lunatic, and you will all do my bidding." - feranaja, pretending to be me.

When I'm posting in a moderate fashion I'll be Red in the face.
TheThing is offline   Reply With Quote