Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > Runes

Runes Using the runes as a divinatory tool

Old 05-14-13   #1
feranaja

Default Interpretation?

I wonder what the advanced rune folks here night think of this simple draw:

What needs to be let go of: Dagaz
What needs to be embraced: Laguz

Not the easiest to interpret, I'm looking for input.

http://mallowandwhitepine.wordpress.com/
plants, spirit, medicine - my Earthwalker blog

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-13   #2
BigAl
Eclectic

Default Re: Interpretation?

*choke*

Not advanced, so I await in anticipation...

But, oh, as a runic amateur, I LIKE!
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-13   #3
feranaja

That's a tease...I need to know why...

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
Old 05-14-13   #4
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

It is a very interesting one for sure. Multiple things come to mind, but first is this.

Darkness is not darkness. Dagaz is the true gift of light, bringer of life, which was (and remains!) very important to the northern folk. It is the coming and passing of each day. It can be change, but also an eternal loop. Days string themselves together. The light that once was bright is now dim. Not because it has changed in its purpose, but because the days it spends its time with are all the same.

Stillness becomes the water flow. Laguz is a very internal process. It is the absolute depth of emotive energy. It's the love we bear others and the love our gods bear us. It's reminding us that our own flow can only be felt when we refocus on where we are in the waters of life. Where do we go, in change and stillness? Let us be quiet in order to be filled anew. Replenishment in contemplation with, well, just ourselves and our purpose.
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-13   #5
BigAl
Eclectic

lol WHERE are all the Rune Lords (and Ladies) when you need them? :/

*Mysterious voice* I see great changes...

Naa.. doesn't work for me either...

What needs to be let go of: Dagaz
Dagaz to me is about "awakening". If you are being prompted to let go of that, your subconscious is asking you to let it do it's work! Allow the universe to unfold your development without overlaying expectation or preconceived desires upon it. Things are trying to blossom, but you may be afraid that it is not how you imagined it would be. Go with it... allow the sun to rise in its own way, in its own time.

What needs to be embraced: Laguz
Laguz is about our future selves, and the vast sea of possibilities which they hold. The promise of personal empowerment, through tapping into the limitless resource that the universe holds for us, is quite overwhelming. You ARE going to get wet... may as well jump right in!

To have these two, in this configuration, suggests a significant breakthrough for you in this coming year. Not that it will be easy. Sometimes the letting go, acceptance (of self and of change), and simply allowing the unfoldment of who you are into who you will become, is the hardest test of all.

Oh... maybe I started off right, after all...
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-13   #6
feranaja

Both of these commentaries are powerful and moving for me - thank you. At first the juxtaposition of the two felt strange and uncomfortable - but then I do know that big changes are at hand. I do know I am called to address issues that demand my attention; work, and Work, and accepting change (it has beauty and benefits as well as challenges).

When I look at Laguz and read this:

"Transpersonal powers
Mastery of emotion in order to shape wyrd
Guidance through difficult initiatory tests, ie. initiation into life
Increase in vitality and life force
Communication between your conscious mind to another’s unconscious mind
Development of ‘second sight’ or prophetic wisdom
All powers of dreaming (lucid dreams, astral projection)"

I see so much that resonates - with my magical study, self-trust and acceptance of gifts I used to fear or ignore; healing, moving into real-life work that reflects what I know and actually enjoy doing. It's all powerfully relevant and exciting.

I think what bothered or perplexed me was what I understand about Dagaz; again from Runesecrets, I quote:

"Attaining the mystical moment through penetration of the secret of paradox or non-duality
Reception of mystical inspiration – the gift of Odin.
Disappearance and the act of becoming the invisible
Invisibility as an organizing principle of Higher Consciousness
Synthesis of right-left brain dynamics.
Transformation of one thing into its opposite
Integration of female and male into complete being"

I can only say - I have been extremely preoccupied, in my private magical life, with much of this, and for many years. It felt uneasy to see a "need to let go" with these words attached...why? I suppose it can mean a shift for the time being, or that I need to trust I have actually achieved more of the above than I often give myself credit for. After all, most of everything I do is about paradox. But perhaps that is more of an intellectual process than I need right now; perhaps too, it's time to allow myself to trust in the magic without the intellectual aspect there as a crutch.

Does that make sense?

More life force and vitality would be nice; and it makes sense, too, if indeed the paradigm shift is away from hard pushing of myself and into a gentler more introspective time.

I really appreciate the reflection here, it's very helpful.

Thomas Moore
Old 05-14-13   #7
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Dagaz is very much connected to the conscious, solar realms; day and light. Laguz is very much connected to the waters and deep inner powers of the subconscious. To 'let go' of dagaz makes sense -- we would never try to hold the sun, and from a young age, we are advised against looking at it directly. When we make something like consciousness or enlightenment our OBJECT, we become SUBJECT to that which it is not -- unconsciousness and ignorance. To quote the zen koan -- "how do you get the goose out of the bottle? simple, the goose is not IN the bottle."

To 'take hold' of laguz, however, is to venture into the waters. I have heard it said that our minds are like sea faring ships, but that we often keep them at port out of fear that they may be damaged at sea. But what good is a ship that won't venture into the waters? The Old Norwegian rune poem for laguz tells us, seemingly out of place, that 'ornaments are made from gold.' Gold we find from the river bed, gold we find from sunken treasures. We can only know sunlight from darkness, and the way out is often through.

I would read laguz here to mean reflective exercises of meditation, shadow work (in terms of acceptance) and even creative artistic endeavors which cause the 'aquatic' subconscious to manifest.
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-13   #8
feranaja

I think I have been overly focused this past few years, on things like material security, work, knowledge, perhaps to the detriment of my intuitive side and emotional realities (unattended sorrow, for example - I believe grief is an element of the psyche that requires attention, and I've been running a little from my own). Although shadow work has been a part of my life since my late teens, there is always room to revisit. All of this makes good sense...

Thomas Moore