Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > The Sacred Grove

The Sacred Grove A forum for discussing Druidry, in all its many expressions and forms

Old 03-29-12   #1
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Question Joining the OBOD (Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids) ...?

Does anyone here belong to the OBOD (Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids) - see druidry.org ...?

I am thinking about enrolling in their course and getting initiated as an Ovate. Right now I'm currently reading The Path of Druidry by Penny Billington which is a very similar study course as the author is a Druid celebrant from the OBOD and has edited their magazine, Touchstone, for eight years. If her independent course goes well for me, I'm planning on joining the OBOD.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there's anyone out there who's done the course and belongs to the OBOD? I have some questions about it...

Also, in general, what are the pros and cons of belonging to large Pagan organizations in general... Mystery schools, orders, groves and the like... Has it been a positive experience or not so much? How hard is/was it to stay dedicated to and have time for these yearly, or longer, programs? I have a disability so this is something I have to consider...

That's all

Blessed be,

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
Hibiscus Moon Crystal Academy Website Alumni Page
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©
CrystalHealingCare@outlook.com
www.CrystalHealingCare.com

Facebook:Facebook.com/CrystalHealingCare
Twitter:Twitter.com/CrystalHCareCCH
Instagram: Instagram.com/CrystalHealingCare
LadyOfTheTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12   #2
Kokaba'al

Default Re: Joining the OBOD (Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids) ...?

I'm not part of OBOD, but I know two local friends who are, and I've heard good things about it from them. Certainly, being able to network and find people with a very similar world view is greatly helpful and it feels good too - it's so easy to get discouraged when you think there's no one else doing the same kind of thing you are. I don't know about the course at all, but I would assume since the guys I know enjoyed it and enjoy their membership, that is it pretty good.

I'm in the process of joining an 'order' myself, though obviously not OBOD. Networking, friendships, knowledge, and a collective ability to work towards similar goals are just some of the advantages I've encountered so far. I think it can be quite difficult to express one's spirituality in day to day life, with the way things are at the moment, but a group can give people the opportunity to go all out and not feel scared someone is going to judge them - since everyone is in it together and for a greater cause.
Old 03-29-12   #3
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

As with Koka, I am not in OBOD but know people who are. They seem to be an excellent order and well worth joining if you are inclined towards Druidry. In fact, I've never heard a bad word spoken of them which in the circles I've run in is rare praise indeed - normally somebody will hate an organisation however good they are.

"For the meek shall inherit absolutely nothing at all, if you stopped being so feeble you could have so much more" - Pulp 'The Day After The Revolution'
Lord Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12   #4
Nacken

I have a friend who is high up in the OBOD. It does have a fairly comprehensive training program and is well organized. Apparently there is a clique in the Chicago area who are power hungry and in general not very nice, but it is unlikely to affect you in California. They do have some good people overall.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13   #5
feranaja

I joined several months ago and am working through the Bardic grade. So far it's been incredibly valuable, filling in all kinds of missing areas in my work. I'm not ready to identify as Druid quite yet, but I am planning to keep going, and I did join both The Druid Network and The Yew. So perhaps it's just semantics, I do feel I fulfil a service role, and I am an avid nature worshipper, and I seek knowledge at all times. I live by an ethical code. I'm probably just struggling with my preconceived notions of the word. I really love the studies.

http://mallowandwhitepine.wordpress.com/
plants, spirit, medicine - my Earthwalker blog

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-13   #6
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

That's really awesome. I joined the Yew as well but my Druid Network membership expired and I can't afford to renew right now... I have to save all my money for Cece to get spayed in a couple of months after her next period is over. As for self-identification, I felt ready to call myself Druid pretty early on, but that's because I knew that's what I want for myself. It's the path I treasure and plan to follow for this lifetime and that decision came easily for me. It felt familiar to me, and after doing all the study and work for "Past Life Healer," I suspect that I may have been Druid in a past lifetime because I've never felt so spiritually sure of something before. But it's great that you're taking your time, because self-identification is a pretty serious thing and important, and people tend to take others who change their personal identification all the time less seriously... Although I don't think I would personally ever judge someone for doing that - it's good to explore. If someone wants to take "Druid" or "Avalonian" or even something like "British Trad" for a test drive and then finds later that it doesn't fit, well, that's just their method of exploration (IMHO), and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. "Druid" is a lifestyle though, so I considered it to be a more serious decision than just a term for a "religion," so to speak. I hope that makes sense...

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 10-05-13   #7
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Also my renaming... Eachna Fianna. That was a really serious consideration and something I thought about for a really long time before making a decision on. I'd never had a "craft name" before.

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 10-05-13   #8
feranaja

Well..I'm not sure I was very clear about this last night (late for me) In truth, I've lived very Druidically for about twenty years now, so I feel it is my lifestyle...it's simply I feel I should complete the courses before claiming the title. Everyone has different ideas about this, of course, I recognize that. Back in my early days in Witchcraft, some people felt you could just say "Oh this is who I am" with real sincerity, and that made you a Witch...others felt you needed years of intense training and experience, not to mention Initiation, before you should use the word. I'm closer to the latter opinion, hard as it might sound. I'm not actually having difficulty with the term Druid because of any uncertainty about the path......but for two reasons. One, I've identified as Witch since the late 1980s, so it's hard to change, really I am more attached to that word than I'd known - and Two, I'm only in the Bardic course - I don't feel deserving of the title Druid quite yet.I'm one of those people who really feel - for myself anyway - I have to earn a thing. And given that I live at the edge of the forest, study nature(daily now for two decades) I believe I have given service to my community (both online and in real life) and I do have some healing and seership skills;, it would be easy to say I already am a Druid! but I need to learn the specific Druidic ways, the lore - and complete the courses of study set out by those who know much more than I, before I can ease into the name. In other words I need to see myself somewhat differently, and that takes time.

About the Path itself, it's pretty obvious this is who I've been for a verylong time, so no hesitation there (or I wouldn't have applied to the Yew!)

http://mallowandwhitepine.wordpress.com/
plants, spirit, medicine - my Earthwalker blog

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote