Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > The Sacred Grove

The Sacred Grove A forum for discussing Druidry, in all its many expressions and forms

Old 12-12-13   #1
DonelleBeira

Default Meditation methods in Druidry

For years I have struggled with meditating. I have tried several methods, repeatedly, with minimal success. In frustration, I finally stopped trying and satisfied myself with grounding, centering, and sitting on the porch quietly, letting my mind run where it would.

Having begun official studies in Druidry, the methods presented by JM Greer in "The Druidry Handbook" (AODA) are so simple (note "simple" does not translate as "easy" ) that things are finally falling into place for me. Perhaps it is partly due to the fact that this is where I now know I belong. I like pointed directions - take 2 steps forward, turn 1/4 to the right, take 3 steps forward, etc. - and Greer has done that beautifully for me, starting with the physical steps (where to meditate, where and how to sit, etc.), relaxation, rhythmic and color breathing, concentration, focus, and the use of meditation themes (a mind BOGGLING concept for me!). I can't begin to describe how exciting this is!

What methods are you using in your Druidry study/practice that are beneficial to your mediation? Are those methods different from others you have used in the past?

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Meditation methods in Druidry

I'm just doing what I usually do; which is single-pointed meditation or breath counting. Latey I have taken to counting to 100, each count on one long breath. I am amazed how I can get lost in this and half an hour has gone by. But nope, in my OBOD work I meditate as i have always done...never easy, especially getting started.
Greer is great, huh? So glad you're enjoying this!

http://mallowandwhitepine.wordpress.com/
plants, spirit, medicine - my Earthwalker blog

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13   #3
DrumWolf
Dark Green Atheist

I got this recently:
Amazon Amazon

Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but a quick skim through indicates it could be useful. Nimue Brown also writes a good blog which I follow:
http://druidlife.wordpress.com/author/brynneth/

Last edited by DrumWolf; 12-13-13 at 04:13 PM.
DrumWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13   #4
EntwinedSoul

are U asking how we practice meditation? I am of the understanding that any meditation would be useful in any path U are on! Not sure if U are asking about meditation in general.
EntwinedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13   #5
DonelleBeira

I was more expressing the difference for me now that I am using specific directions in my Druidry studies. I had tried some Eastern methods, taped recordings, various breathing patterns and positions, tips/tricks/sigils/directions from members here, and all were ineffective for me causing a great deal of frustration. So my question was if Druids at ESF found the mediation methods of their various Orders the same as what they always used or do they find those methods different/easier/more meaningful/etc. Working within the AODA methods have made a world of difference for me. Of course, I'm a bit of an oddball.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13   #6
EntwinedSoul

You do not seem an odd ball to me... I am not studying Druid methods so I can not help..........good luck with your journey to reach the levels of meditation that serve U...............
EntwinedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote