Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > The Sacred Grove

The Sacred Grove A forum for discussing Druidry, in all its many expressions and forms

Old 12-15-13   #1
Lightdragon
pagan

Default new visitor center for Stonehenge.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...or-centre.html

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13   #2
Lightdragon
pagan

Default Re: new visitor center for Stonehenge.

and of course protests are now underway

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/10886272._/

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13   #3
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

I with the druids on this one. Put the body back where you found it! This curator cracks me up ...

Quote:
Dr Sara Lunt, curator of the exhibition, said the centre is extremely privileged to be able to display the human remains.
“It tells the story in a way that nothing else possibly could,” she said. “We believe in having the real thing displayed and human remains are something the public fully expect at museums.”
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13   #4
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

Desecration. Did they ask the dead guy? No I don't think so.

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."
-Oscar Wilde

"Why, sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

Voice In The Dark Blog
Katharine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13   #5
ffetcher

I know Arthur quite well; don't always agree with him but this time I do.But it's also a matter of degree: nearby Devizes museum has a display of what is interpreted as the costume and paraphernalia of a 'shaman', displayed on a dummy. The body was reburied, but they didn't ask the gut whether it was okay to take all his gear. Should they have made replicas and reburied teh gear, which was obviously precious to him? (teh finds are from a barrow overlooking the stones).

And, as I discussed in 'Stonehenge a Graveyard?', the pit burial have been regularly 'desecrated' since they were first discovered in the 1920s: there was presumably some belief system resulting in the arrangement of the bones, but after excavation, when the investigations were concluded, they were simply stuffed into sacks and reburied willy-nilly.

Of equal interest to me are the protests about ehe removal of the A344 side-road off the A303. I haven't visited since they finished it, but if I'm reading the map correctly, although it cleans up the site a great deal and will make it simpler to understand the wider ritual landscape, if the shuttle isn't running (which it won't be at three in the morning) it leaves anyone who wants to see the midwinter moonrise alignment, which, as I pointed out elsewhere, can be seen from outside the fence, with a two kilometer walk along the shuttle route, and then picking their way round the fence, instead of being able to park up at the layby and walk a hundred yards along the road. We'll see.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13   #6
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

It could be argued that if it's not worth a 2 K walk, you don't want it enough to have earned it.

As a general rule I don't think archeologists have enough respect for the dead. I am in favor of study. I have no problem with opening the graves, looking, testing, trying to learn about the old ways. I find that a noble pursuit. I object to the lack of consideration for their beliefs. If you're in someone else's tomb, you ought to be acting under the assumption that their religion was right regardless of what you think, and everything needs to returned to where it was found, as it was found.

If I could get away with it, I'd think nothing of digging up a grave, even taking body parts, but I'd ask first. They can't do that.

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."
-Oscar Wilde

"Why, sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

Voice In The Dark Blog
Old 12-20-13   #7
ffetcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katharine View Post
It could be argued that if it's not worth a 2 K walk, you don't want it enough to have earned it.
Oh, we'll do it. Despite having done four Mummers' play performances in the Forest beforehand, and despite my arthritis. But a friend, who is disabled, is 'going to give it a miss this year' so we can form an opinion as to whether she'd make it or not. I do think that's a shame. She said, roughly, 'I don't want to get halfway and feel that I've got a choice of turning back or getting there and then having to rely on other people to help me back'.

Quote:
As a general rule I don't think archeologists have enough respect for the dead. I am in favor of study. I have no problem with opening the graves, looking, testing, trying to learn about the old ways. I find that a noble pursuit. I object to the lack of consideration for their beliefs. If you're in someone else's tomb, you ought to be acting under the assumption that their religion was right regardless of what you think, and everything needs to returned to where it was found, as it was found.
I fully agree. My point was simply that back in the 1920s, people didn't do that (okay, they often don't do that even today) so the skeletons have already been compromised.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
Old 12-20-13   #8
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

Quote:
Oh, we'll do it. Despite having done four Mummers' play performances in the Forest beforehand, and despite my arthritis. But a friend, who is disabled, is 'going to give it a miss this year' so we can form an opinion as to whether she'd make it or not. I do think that's a shame. She said, roughly, 'I don't want to get halfway and feel that I've got a choice of turning back or getting there and then having to rely on other people to help me back'.
I hadn't thought of that. That's a good point, it is a hardship if the layout excludes the disabled. Though, in her case my thinking is that she could benefit from cultivating a greater willingness to accept help from friends.

I'm technically disabled and I have a few friends who insist on carrying things for me and the like.

-Oscar Wilde

Voice In The Dark Blog
Old 12-21-13   #9
ffetcher

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that. That's a good point, it is a hardship if the layout excludes the disabled. Though, in her case my thinking is that she could benefit from cultivating a greater willingness to accept help from friends.
She normally does, and we give it willingly. But this year we're not quite sure what we're getting into. No-one's been there since the revamp has been finished. We'd be okay getting her there and back if we can get to the shuttle-bus route, but we suspect the only access to that is through the visitor centre, meaning driving round single-track roads to approach from the Cursus, in which case I doubt that with the best will in the world we'd make it (or at least make it back. But I'll have another chat with her tonight.

Quote:
I'm technically disabled and I have a few friends who insist on carrying things for me and the like.
Then you're fortunate: a lot of people aren't in that position.

The overall problem is that in the past access to the stones themselves has been rationed, but you could get as far as the surrounding fence on foot. I don't havbe a problem with access to the stones being rationed - it happens at Carnac and Newgrange, for example. What I think they're trying to do is make the whole thing work the same way as in those places: you have to go through the visitor centre, with its unique merchandising experience, and sit through an explanatory video, and then wait in the eye-wateringly expensive cafeteria area until your time-slot arrives. This ruins the experience for me. The moonrise was always an almost private experience: there'd be a few people, maybe two dozen, taking it in turns to stand in the right place.

blessings
ffetcher
Old 12-21-13   #10
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

Well they haven't the right to commercialize a religious ritual. And that's exactly what it is. Impeding a pagan from being at Stonehenge on the solstice is very directly a civil rights violation.

-Oscar Wilde

Voice In The Dark Blog