Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > The Sacred Grove

The Sacred Grove A forum for discussing Druidry, in all its many expressions and forms

Old 09-27-14   #11
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Default Re: Where is everyone at with their studies?

I am working on my Earth Altar... I will take another walk to the forest and see what gifts are waiting. This is the perfect time for this course!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 399.jpg (1.46 MB, 7 views)

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14   #12
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I graduated from Mara's Sacred Avaloian Magic course.... What a wonderful ceremony.

She was gracious enough to record it. I did the ceremony last night...it was wonderful! I feel very complete.

Old 11-08-14   #13
feranaja

Congratulations, Rosie! I'm so glad this path really speaks to you. It truly is a lovely form of magic, and I bet the ceremony was as beautiful as the course itself is.

http://mallowandwhitepine.wordpress.com/
plants, spirit, medicine - my Earthwalker blog

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14   #14
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Me in my ritual robe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of jan 2014 062.jpg (3.6 KB, 13 views)

Old 11-09-14   #15
Nacken

I continue teaching my qigong classes. Recently I was made summoner in one group, and received my membership button and taught the secret handshake in another coven. I expect that classes in this coven will start soon, but in the meantime I continue to read copiously, and play with my runes. I tend to work at one thing with great industry for a few months, then switch over to something else, then something else still, then back to the first. I find that changing things around keeps my enthusiasm and motivated up. There seem to be logical points in which to switch to another subject. That reminds me that I have to memorize some of the new group's liturgy, and write one or two rituals in case the clergy can't make it some night and I have to lead ritual with the hand maiden in the other.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14   #16
feranaja

I've more or less stopped formal studies for a couple of reasons. One is, of course, I have no time at all after my job, housework, animal care, and actual practise. That's the second reason - I have a long established practise I benefit most from when I really work it. I don't really *need* to learn yet another way to cast a circle, call the quarters,, do the Middle Pillar, ground and center, contact the Otherworld. I love both the Avalon course and the OBOD material but I am already living Druidry, living my Path, as herbalist and seer, and while I hope I am growing and learning all the time, I don't need to revisit the basics over and over. I work with the land, local spirits, plant medicine, augury, the ancestors, and self development. Going through Introductory programs over and over, I've felt like I'm just holding myself back and my conversations with Josephine McCarthy reinforced this. So I'm doing what I do, and will probably come back to the AMS course when a few other things are completed(my herbal thesis, my website, my second site for humans) because when I'm not so busy, I do enjoy it. Right now it feels forced and redundant, as does OBOD.

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
Old 11-10-14   #17
Nacken

I know that these classes will include a fair amount that I already know how to do and it will probably be frustrating. But I'm hoping that they will just test me on some of it at least. I did three years in one coven that was Gardnerian and Alexandrian, and another year at an Alexandrian coven. They are aware of that and know the coven leaders, and a couple of the members including the HP's wife have studied in my Qigong class. I expect that they will skip the energy work stuff for me. But with BTW they generally want you to learn how they do things in that particular coven. I'll just grin and bear (or bare it) for now in order to get to the good stuff. I've done harder, although I expect it might get hectic at times with duties in two separate groups, plus teaching my own class and putting food on the table. I expect that it will cut into my social life--such as it is.
Old 04-10-15   #18
feranaja

So, I've decided after grappling with so many balls in the air, to take a few steps toward streamlining my life and moving toward my ultimate goals. I am very burned out on my work with dogs. I plan to phase it out over the next year or so and develop more work as a herbalist both locally and online (minimum, but I am developing courses). I hope to see clients in perosn, teach and also develop a small line of my own products, a big undertaking but one I am excited about.

Spiritually I have had to be ok with just small daily things - overt things like shrine tending and a grounding every day. I consider my tending to animals a part of my path, that's the indoor and wild ones - and not blowing my stack at the seemingly endless confrontation with idiocy all day, that's Spirit in Action. But I feel tense, alienated and somehow just plain wrong if I am not doing something magical, something more structured. There is a little more money and a lot more prestige these days - I write for both PlantHealer and Herbmentor, for example - buuut, I am not fully gratified and happy. I know one key element that is missing is practise.

So I took stock of all of this a while ago and decided, I think of all the things I have on the go I will bite the bullet and finish AMS, Mara Freeman's course. I had not felt sufficiently committed to Avalonian magic to force myself through lessons that consist of things I was actually teaching 20 years ago, albeit in a different form. But I see some value in completion now, some are personal, but one I can share is, this is a BEAUTIFUL course and it takes me very far from the hard work of my dayjob, the world of science I am immersed in (overly) and demands of people and beings around me. It's a type of magic that fills a need, even if I do have to smile when introduced to the tarot, I can also work with the Vision Journeys which ARE unique and not what I am used to.

I will always follow a Pagan path that I embarked upon in the 80s, serve my shrines and the gods, outside of an Avalonian perspective. I am most likely to move onto OBOD after Mara and then, integrate all the things I have studied into my own system, and perhaps bring some of that to others. I doubt I will ever consider myself a strict "Avalonian". But the call to beauty, to higher values and to a primordial feminine magic is irresistibly strong right now. I have just cleaned and sained my temple, ordered a new cloth for the altar, and am doing a review of the work so far, that should take a few weeks to get re-oriented. I'm so glad to be back in this work, and grateful for the time off every day, given to my own innermost dreams and visions, and offered with love to the earth, sky and sea, and always, to the gods.

That's where I'm at.

Thomas Moore
Old 04-13-15   #19
Nacken

You do have to have a balance between your job, family and your pagan studies. I'm single again, and my kid lives in Toronto, so while we Skype pretty often I don't see him in person that much. This means that I have several evenings a week where I can either sit around and play computer games or study. I normally do my eastern practices as a way of winding down right after work, so I get them out of the way and still have the evening--at least 3 or 4 times a week. That is as close to ideal as I've been in years for studying. I've been doing this for a lot of years and at times work and family took up almost every minute. The time factor and whether you are burned out or not seems to ebb and flow. Some years all that I could do was a bit of meditation and light a candle or leave an offering. I have pretty much always done meditation, but then at times it was all that kept me sane.

I generally don't have a shrine dedicated to one particular deity simply because it is a lot of work to keep up. I remember that I used to think that having a couple shrines was mandatory. Now I don't though. I have an altar that I change from time to time. I de-dedicated them eventually with a ritual. I may have Freyja on it for a few months, or just leave offerings to this or that God or Goddess, but it isn't officially theirs. I do have various deity statuettes and symbols around on shelves. They seem to be happy with that. The one remaining former shrine is now an altar, but it is more or less my work table that I can pull out to do a particular ritual (generally seasonal) then is pushed back and is mostly used for holding candles or whatever for any deity I might be drawn to at the time. I seldom use magic spells for any personal goal. Professionally I'm fairly happy with what I'm doing, and I'm not much into love spells. Mostly I do personal rituals for the passing of the seasons--wheel of the year stuff. But I have two groups that I do that with anyhow, so it is fairly optional. I do believe that celebrating the Sabbat is a duty that we should perform for the Gods, although it may be done in a minimal form.
Old 04-13-15   #20
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I am in the second part of Mara's course. The path of Merlin. We are learning how to detect and work with elementals, stones, earth energies, nature spirits, trees, plants..etc. This is very grounding for me and I resonate with it. Whats comforting for me is I have already been doing alot of this throughout my life. Most of the workings are done outside, they can be done inside as well. Depending on the weather, I have a place set up outside for those.

My main altar is covered and put away til I do a ritual. I do have a shelf dedicated to Morgan, this was from the first part, since I resonate with the Goddess, I kept it. I have another shelf dedicated to Lakshmi and Ganesha.