Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > The Sacred Grove

The Sacred Grove A forum for discussing Druidry, in all its many expressions and forms

Old 07-03-14   #11
feranaja

Default Re: Can I find my Animal Guide/Totem using the DAO?

Sometimes they just show up, too.
About a week ago, Dan and I were driving around Lac Bernard, one of the larger lakes in our area and pretty wild around the north end. I was going down this dirt road, windows down, 5 mph, looking for plants! too hot to get out and walk, lol..and suddenly, right in front of the car was a ruffed grouse - young male - standing dead still and refusing to move. I've seen grouse up here for 2 decades and never seen this...I got out, walked right up to him (thinking something might be wrong) and he scooted off.

A few miles down the road - happened again.
Ok, so once is Weird Animal Behaviour - not to be confused with an Omen unless you plan to crack up, living where I do - but twice *might* be a Please take Notice. I shooed the second one off wondering if there might be some kind of mold in the beechnuts they;re so fond of, making them all a little stupid up here.

Well, we reached the destination point, and I DID get out but left Dan in the car with the A/C on - that kind of a day - headed to the ditch to just take a snippet or two of the blossoming elder I knew was in that area(I'm trying to grow some on my own property). No sooner did I take a step from the car when a THIRD grouse came barrelling up to me, in full display, making a queer little sound (I have never been attacked by grouse before, so it was a new sound, lol), strutting and fanning his tailfeathers, like he meant to chase me off. I actually leaned over to stroke his back, when I guess it clicked(this human is way bigger than me) and he twaddled off. By now I was pretty clear there was Grouse Medicine to be considered.

Driving home and all that day after, I thought about grouse Medicine and what it had meant to me in past. The two themes I always received were, Drumming and Dancing! Celebrate - DRUM! and embrace the dance. I had one strong period where grouse kept appearing for me, years ago, so I had done some homework. And I guess (this is where any of us can get a little lazy or otherwise stymied) I assumed the message was explicitly the same. i mean hey, we can all use a bit more drumming, dancing, enthusiasm in life, right?

That very night I received a true Dream of Power, a Gift from Spirit, which was intended for me to convey to Flailing Idiot. It was so powerful (and personal) I won't go into any detail, but I think a full day went by before I did the proverbial facepalm and realized - THAt was the drum element! Spirit WILL find ways through to us and often through the natural world. I had the message, just needed to be more creative in interpretation.
And, I am still taking the drum/dance part seriously. Trying to get into better shape again, with the extra physical demands of Alex's absence, dancing is one of the most enjoyable ways to burn some weight and I've got out beats Antique right now for a workout this afternoon.
Love you, Mr. Tough-guy Ruffed grouse. <3

http://mallowandwhitepine.wordpress.com/
plants, spirit, medicine - my Earthwalker blog

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14   #12
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntwinedSoul View Post
do you meditate with the animals you draw, visualize them and ask their spirit to be with you and that you are open to their magic

sometime if you are looking to work on a particular part of your life such as patience.......call the animal or bird etc that helps you learn these lessons
Yes. I usually take them into a sacred space that only actually exists as a visualization - and then just wait there to see what happens. Just the other night I dreamed about a bat. Not many bats, and not angry or scary bats... Just A bat. I've yet to look up the dream analysis meaning though yet...

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
Hibiscus Moon Crystal Academy Website Alumni Page
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©
CrystalHealingCare@outlook.com
www.CrystalHealingCare.com

Facebook:Facebook.com/CrystalHealingCare
Twitter:Twitter.com/CrystalHCareCCH
Instagram: Instagram.com/CrystalHealingCare
LadyOfTheTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14   #13
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Sometimes they just show up, too.
About a week ago, Dan and I were driving around Lac Bernard, one of the larger lakes in our area and pretty wild around the north end. I was going down this dirt road, windows down, 5 mph, looking for plants! too hot to get out and walk, lol..and suddenly, right in front of the car was a ruffed grouse - young male - standing dead still and refusing to move. I've seen grouse up here for 2 decades and never seen this...I got out, walked right up to him (thinking something might be wrong) and he scooted off.

A few miles down the road - happened again.
Ok, so once is Weird Animal Behaviour - not to be confused with an Omen unless you plan to crack up, living where I do - but twice *might* be a Please take Notice. I shooed the second one off wondering if there might be some kind of mold in the beechnuts they;re so fond of, making them all a little stupid up here.

Well, we reached the destination point, and I DID get out but left Dan in the car with the A/C on - that kind of a day - headed to the ditch to just take a snippet or two of the blossoming elder I knew was in that area(I'm trying to grow some on my own property). No sooner did I take a step from the car when a THIRD grouse came barrelling up to me, in full display, making a queer little sound (I have never been attacked by grouse before, so it was a new sound, lol), strutting and fanning his tailfeathers, like he meant to chase me off. I actually leaned over to stroke his back, when I guess it clicked(this human is way bigger than me) and he twaddled off. By now I was pretty clear there was Grouse Medicine to be considered.

Driving home and all that day after, I thought about grouse Medicine and what it had meant to me in past. The two themes I always received were, Drumming and Dancing! Celebrate - DRUM! and embrace the dance. I had one strong period where grouse kept appearing for me, years ago, so I had done some homework. And I guess (this is where any of us can get a little lazy or otherwise stymied) I assumed the message was explicitly the same. i mean hey, we can all use a bit more drumming, dancing, enthusiasm in life, right?

That very night I received a true Dream of Power, a Gift from Spirit, which was intended for me to convey to Flailing Idiot. It was so powerful (and personal) I won't go into any detail, but I think a full day went by before I did the proverbial facepalm and realized - THAt was the drum element! Spirit WILL find ways through to us and often through the natural world. I had the message, just needed to be more creative in interpretation.
And, I am still taking the drum/dance part seriously. Trying to get into better shape again, with the extra physical demands of Alex's absence, dancing is one of the most enjoyable ways to burn some weight and I've got out beats Antique right now for a workout this afternoon.
Love you, Mr. Tough-guy Ruffed grouse. <3
Oh wow... The synchronicity is odd... We don't have grouse around here and I've never seen one in person before. I used to play a game when I was a kid that was a SIM game called SIM Park. I always had lots of grouse in my parks. Anyway, a few times over the last month, I've thought about grouse... Usually connected to a vague recollection of that computer game - but thoughts about grouse none-the-less. I was just wondering if they have a mating dance, randomly, the night before last...

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 07-07-14   #14
EntwinedSoul

In my experience u can pick any animal, bird etc to guide you if you call upon them specifically and work with their specific gifts. Through your life certain animal, bird etc will come to U when they are needed for your higher learning. Also you may be blessed with the knowledge of the animal that is with you always, a spirit partner, or power animal. Use your cards to get to know the special gifts each has to share and learn more about communicating with them. Your special spirit will come when it is time...........I really do not feel that U can find it by looking, it shows itself when the time is right.
EntwinedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14   #15
EntwinedSoul

I learned a lot picking and meditating on each card..........had some wild experiences with some. Yet it was through living life that the animals come to you.......keep going, the more open you are (by working with the animal cards) the more experiences you will have
EntwinedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14   #16
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

I'm going to try working with the Elemental Spread that's given in the DAO's accompanying book - a friend of mine on DruidSpace said that it was really enlightening for her to work with that particular layout. It's one I haven't tried yet, either. And I do agree with you that you can call on animal spirits to guide you on your own. I've often asked the humpback whale, the dolphin and the beluga whale what their message is, their lesson, and what they want to teach me in that they continue to be recurring themes. And I've gotten, "responses," back

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 07-11-14   #17
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

I found some new info on the meanings of the animals I'm drawn to. The first one I looked up was the Manta Ray - I've pulled him on more than one occasion but couldn't figure out what said creature could possibly mean as I know little about them...

Manta Ray: "Ability to swim slowly through emotional waters, Positive use of size in one’s life, Understanding differences."

And the rest...

Dolphin: "Breath of life, Psychic abilities and intuition, kindness, Water element magick, Communication skills, Wisdom, Joy, Harmony, Connection with self, initiators, curiosity, playfulness, power of sound, water magic. Dolphins grant emotional healing, wisdom and clarity of reason."

Orca: "Creator of the Cosmos, Ability to convert raw matter into stars, planets, etc., Breaking down the barriers of the human mind, Obliterating the concept of good or evil, Using the vibrational energy of song to heal, Finding your soul song, Soul memory, Seeing the unseen, Ability to seal soul fissures and energy leaks."

Manatee: "Seeing clearly what lives in water, Connection to water herbs."

Dugong: "Ability to walk gently upon the Earth, Gentleness, Seeing clearly what lives in water (emotions), Connection to water herbs."

Whale: "record keeper, Finding your soul song, Soul memory, Creativity and Intuition, awakening of inner senses, family, inspiration, and water magic. Through the rhythm and patterns of sounds whale teaches us to hear our inner voices, to be in touch with our personal truths, and thus to know the wisdom and feel the heartbeat of the universe. Record keeper for all eternity, All knowledge associated with voice, Psychic and telepathic abilities, All aspects of the sea, Beauty of movement."

Bat: "rebirth
Camouflage, Invisibility, Viewing past lives, pollination of new ideas, transition, initiation, changes for the better, moon magic, Guardian of the night, cleaner. Shaman initiates undergo a ritual death in which they face their fears and are reborn without their old identities. Bat medicine teaches us to release fear and any pattern, which no longer fits in with our pattern of growth. Bats have unfortunately developed a lot of negative symbolism. Understanding grief, ability to observe unseen, the use of vibrational sound."

Raccoon: "Disguise, Dexterity, curiosity, cleanliness, secrecy, moon and earth magic, Understanding the nature of masks, Seeking guidance and confidence, Questioning without fear, Balancing curiosity."

Swan: "grace, Understanding dream symbols, seeing into the future, Elegance, Nurturing together, Relationship, Oneness, balance, innocence, Awakening the power of self, Seeing into the future, Understanding spiritual evolution, Developing intuitive abilities, Divination, Grace in dealing with others."

Butterfly: "Transformation, Reincarnation, Magick, Balance, Grace. Butterfly fearlessly leaves the safety of its cocoon to meet a New World in a new form, trusting its untried wings to allow it to fly. It is a powerful symbol for anyone who’s contemplating or in the midst of a major change. A butterfly is a strong symbol of metamorphosis, with distinct stages. The butterfly is a reminder to make changes when the opportunity arises. Change and transformation are inevitable for us all, but it does not have to be traumatic, transmutation, power of the whirlwind."

Wren: "Messenger from the gods, Power of voice, Fearlessness, Seeing future events, Sibling (brother/sister) relationships."

Otter: "woman medicine
Sensibility without suspicion, Guidance in unmasking talents, Joy, Laughter, Lightness, togetherness, curiosity, awakening, playfulness, creativity, imagination, water magic, mischievous. Otter is a feminine power, and the symbol of grace and empathy. Otter is receptive, playful and free of jealousy. As both women and men begin to express the highest qualities of this medicine the world can become a joyful place where all can play without fear of harm or loss. Woman’s healing wisdom, Psychic awareness, Faithfulness, Recovery issues, Understanding the value of playtime."

Obviously, these are far from complete profiles and are just basically scraps of information on these animals - but it does provide a simple bit of framework to start with... I could've found pages and pages on each of these, but at that rate, I would be better off just starting a thesis paper

Someone recently linked me to this man's site in order to find one's spirit animal... He said he went through the entire process including some sort of drumming and beats and stuff and found what he was looking for... (A friend from the OBOD). I haven't checked it out myself just yet though - it may be a good resource or it may not be... Actually, here's a copy and paste of the guy's message to me,

"Hi, thank you for the friend request! my tutor is Mike Williams who lives in Wales and his website is prehistoricshamanism.com You can find instructions there on how to enter the underworld. I usually do this right after I do my light-body and sacred grove exercise and my grove has its own entrance I devised. One of the first exercises you will learn about is finding your animal totem/guardian. You can also download the ten minute drumming track there and do not let the time frame throw you off. You think, what can I actually do in ten minutes. You would be amazed when you set everything up how time seems to expand and make sure you are ready to write everything down when you finish! because more goes on than you might imagine! If you have any questions about it I would be delighted to help because I have barely touched the hem of the garment, so to speak. Take care!
p.s. the instructions say you should enter the ground, the size of the entrance does not actually matter! and all the instructions are there. I am particularly interested in healing."

Crystal Healing Care©