Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Hearthcraft and Hedgewitchery

Hearthcraft and Hedgewitchery Working with the magic and spirit of hearth, home, kith and kin..creating a magical sanctuary, including kitchenwitchery and garden magic

Old 06-16-10   #11
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: Question about Besom and a vacumn cleaner

Quote:
octoberskys wrote: ya know...it's just not practical sometimes to revert to the old ways.
Depends upon why one does a thing and what was the reasoning for it.

Quote:
i don't like using a broom. i like my vacuum and my swiffer. but, i also smudge. i, personally, don't see anything wrong at all with using modern items in your practice. the old ones adaped, so why not?
Yes things were adapted and changed yet if you look to the magical purpose and construction much of that didn't.

Quote:
it's the intention that counts in the end afterall.
That one I think many would debate you on. To be truthfull that's part of the reason so many things are prefaced with "Plastic" in thier descriptor today, IMHO.
Old 06-16-10   #12
oonagh sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
Depends upon why one does a thing and what was the reasoning for it.

That one I think many would debate you on. To be truthfull that's part of the reason so many things are prefaced with "Plastic" in thier descriptor today, IMHO.
well...it depends upon why one does a thing and what was the reasoning for it (i.e. intention)

what's wrong with plastic? it cleans up well <g>
oonagh sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10   #13
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberskys View Post
well...it depends upon why one does a thing and what was the reasoning for it (i.e. intention)

what's wrong with plastic? it cleans up well <g>
Plastic is nice in some ways. Yet in the manner it is used in the occult / pagan community it usually means false or fake ie not real...That is a title that is becoming real apparent in the Shamanic practices now.
Old 06-16-10   #14
oonagh sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
Plastic is nice in some ways. Yet in the manner it is used in the occult / pagan community it usually means false or fake ie not real...That is a title that is becoming real apparent in the Shamanic practices now.
i, personally, don't think that using modern items (maybe along with traditional ones) is any indication of "fakeness". if the intent is real and the internal workings are all in the right place, what does it matter?
keep in mind that i'm a pantheistic witch. everything that exists is divinity. a plastic spoon has just as much divinity as a wooden one (for example).
oonagh sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10   #15
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberskys View Post
i, personally, don't think that using modern items (maybe along with traditional ones) is any indication of "fakeness". if the intent is real and the internal workings are all in the right place, what does it matter?
keep in mind that i'm a pantheistic witch. everything that exists is divinity. a plastic spoon has just as much divinity as a wooden one (for example).
As a pantheistic I can understand your position and ideals. being a shamanic type practioner I can relate to part of it. To borrow a term I do find all things to have a manitou or spirit that can be called upon. As suh it is infused with the essence of Spirit but not sure I would say it is divinity.