Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Hearthcraft and Hedgewitchery

Hearthcraft and Hedgewitchery Working with the magic and spirit of hearth, home, kith and kin..creating a magical sanctuary, including kitchenwitchery and garden magic

Old 01-23-11   #21
Tom Terrific

Default Re: Introduction to HearthCraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntwinedSoul View Post
I am very serious ...................... so what is a witch?????
Everybody has their own opinion as to what a Witch is. My own notion has been a work-in-progress for some time, and I am still open to revising it.

Most people seem to think of a Witch as someone who uses "magic" to manipulate reality in some way (practices "Witchcraft"). I have come to believe this view, and maybe the title of "Witch" itself, to have been superimposed on energy workers by others who did not understand what was going on.

There is a vast unseen world that underlies and directs the reality of our senses, and this world is personal. This is the world of devas and nature spirits (fairies). Someone who is able to interact with this world in a cooperative partnership to achieve common goals is what I believe a "true" Witch to be.

Magic, so understood, is not about manipulation at all. It is a joint enterprise. Of course, it is possible to bend some of these forces to one's will, just as it is possible to strip-mine a mountain, clear-cut a forest and pollute a river; that's how people behave when reality is something impersonal to be dominated rather than something personal to be loved. "True" or "good" magic is simply working in partnership with natural energies.

If someone who could not sense or interact with these forces were to watch someone who could and did, they would only see that person's words and actions and would assume that the effects being caused were the result of manipulation -- the same way they would think of plowing a field or building a mill. Because that person seemed able by those actions to bring about effects in ways not understood, they might be labelled and they might be feared. To the person working with the fairies, their work would simply be their work; but to others, it would be "magic," and the person herself would be called "Witch."

I don't have any documentation or anything of that sort to substantiate this view. This is simply what I believe. Assuming it is accurate, there is a tragic irony in the fact that many people today are reclaiming the title of "Witch" and practicing "magic" from the point of view of those who coined the terms, i.e., their clueless oppressors, rather than from the inside out, i.e., based on relationship with natural powers.

The best book on Witchcraft I've ever read was written by someone who does not even call herself a Witch: Behaving As If the God in All Life Mattered, by Machaelle Small Wright. If what I've said here interests you, take a look.

Last edited by Tom Terrific; 01-23-11 at 02:52 PM.
Tom Terrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11   #22
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
I found a little poem that might speak to the hearts of many:

I am not a real witch
I am not a proper pagan
No, not even
When I rise with the dawn
And greet signing birds
And walk my hounds upon the mountainside
I am not a real witch
I am not a proper pagan
Not even when I speak to the land
Not even when I listen to the wind
Nor when I watch the Sun cross southern skies
And mark the Moonís fall and rise
I am not a real witch
I am not a proper pagan
No, not even when I praise the thunder
Or dance with the ebb and flow
Of many tides
I am not a real witch
I am not a proper pagan
Not when spirits follow my steps
Through summer woodlands
Or brush my heels on moonlit trails
I am not a real witch
I am not a proper pagan
Not even when gods answer my call
For I have answered theirs
Not when I farm my land
Or lend an animal a helping hand
I am not a real witch
I am not a proper pagan
You see
Because I have no initiation to speak of
No puppy papers to prove my lineage
No formal training to brag about

It certainly speaks to mine.

Without naming names, there are certain individuals on this forum, who I suspect could greatly benefit from reading and re-reading the above poem several times.

Said individuals know who they are.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11   #23
jetpiston

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
[/CENTER]

It certainly speaks to mine.

Without naming names, there are certain individuals on this forum, who I suspect could greatly benefit from reading and re-reading the above poem several times.

Said individuals know who they are.
An interesting little bit of poetry, but unfortunately it's premise is based on faulty logic and petty bitterness, just the sort if thing I would expect from someone who doesn't understand what it means to be a witch, whether a member of a specific tradition or not.
jetpiston is offline   Reply With Quote