Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Hearthcraft and Hedgewitchery

Hearthcraft and Hedgewitchery Working with the magic and spirit of hearth, home, kith and kin..creating a magical sanctuary, including kitchenwitchery and garden magic

Old 11-14-14   #1
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Default Pomegrantes and Magick

A very interesting article....enjoy!

http://thechaote.tumblr.com/post/651...dont-know-this

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-14   #2
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Default Re: Pomegrantes and Magick

I really enjoy pomegranate juice, especially if it's fresh. Any sort of deep, red juice greatly strengthens my personal chi in an immediate and noticeable way. Goji berry juice is my favorite, but because of the cost and the fact that a lot of goji berries are treated with chemical pesticides and fungicides in China, without regulation, it's difficult to find a natural, humane, organic source. Because of that, pomegranate juice is often my fall back.
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-14   #3
feranaja

I use the juice in smoothies and this time of year, I buy the whole fruit and make things - just recently, pomegranate/hibiscus Fire Cider. A beautiful spicy heart-tonic int he form of a vinegar.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-14   #4
WolfyJames

Oh my, pomegranates are among my favorite fruits. I have a thing for sweet-sour fruits like pomegranates, raspberries, cherries, cranberries, etc. It's unfortunate that pomegranates are so expensive, I don't get to eat any often because of that. I also like those sweet-sour candies Rockets.
In step with cloven hooves.............................Growing in harmony with the Earth,
And the forest song… ......................................As Her children,
.................................................. .................Protective of your Mother…

Last edited by WolfyJames; 11-14-14 at 08:31 PM.
WolfyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14   #5
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

fera, that sounds uber tasty! can you post or send me a recipe?
Old 11-15-14   #6
feranaja

Sure! I used Juliet Blankespoor's awesome recipe. (She is a truly great Western herbalist).
Enjoy!

http://blog.chestnutherbs.com/rosell...on-of-hibiscus

Shane Parrish
Old 11-15-14   #7
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

wow, some very unexpected ingredients in that recipe! I'm excited, I'll try this in the next couple weeks and maybe have something interesting to bring to solstice many thanks.
Old 11-15-14   #8
feranaja

You're welcome. I make a variety of Fire Ciders, letting them sit a long time instead of heating, with all kinds of ingredients aside from the core of onion, ginger, horseradish, cayenne. I like to use hawthorn berries, rosemary, sage leaves, orange peel, coriander...we're only limited by our imaginations.
Enjoy!

Shane Parrish
Old 12-19-14   #9
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Sure! I used Juliet Blankespoor's awesome recipe. (She is a truly great Western herbalist).
Enjoy!

http://blog.chestnutherbs.com/rosell...on-of-hibiscus
I just finished making this recipe! I actually got something closer to 80 ounces of fire cider, I suspect the onions, pomegranates, oranges and honey added a considerable amount of liquid. In the end, I made a few small changes. It turned out pretty well but I'm already thinking what I'll change next time. I'm glad to have this done in time to bottle for Solstice gifts, however. A friend of mine also made fire cider (different recipe, and she let hers sit for a month) so we'll do an exchange and compare. Now I just need to find some little 4 oz. bottles ...

Here's what I ended up using (all organic, no exceptions). The parts in bold are where I made changes (such as adding Goji berries!).

• 64 ounces of apple cider vinegar
  • 10 ounces honey
  • 2 medium onions
  • 2 large cloves of garlic
  • Fresh Ginger (10″ of a man’s-thumb-width piece) - I used 1/4 lbs.
  • Fresh Turmeric (10″ of a man’s-thumb-width piece, or 3 Tablespoons powder) - 1/4 lbs.
  • Horseradish (1.5 cups of coarsely chopped 1″ pieces) - 1/4 lbs.
  • 2 large pomegranates (plump, succulent, and garnet in color)
  • 2 oranges - Cara Cara Navels
  • 8 dried cayenne peppers (or 2 teaspoons dried cayenne powder) - 16 Chile de Arbol, and 1 teaspoon dried cayenne powder
  • 4 Tablespoons loose hibiscus - I used something closer to 8
  • 1/4 lbs. Goji berries
  • 2 sprigs worth of Rosemary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fire_cider.jpg (278.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Leben; 12-19-14 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-26-15   #10
Prairiewolf

I have been craving pomegranates! But we haven't had any in the local store for so long it makes me sad, when we get some in ill have to try these recipes!
Prairiewolf is offline   Reply With Quote