Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Hearthcraft and Hedgewitchery

Hearthcraft and Hedgewitchery Working with the magic and spirit of hearth, home, kith and kin..creating a magical sanctuary, including kitchenwitchery and garden magic

Old 10-19-09   #21
feranaja

Default Re: Salt Dough

I still haven't got around to this but hoping for some downtime this weekend. Raven are you going to make a candleholder? that sounds like a great idea.
I need to get paints, too.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09   #22
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

I'm feeling creative too. I would like to make some more representations for my altars and I'd like some candle holders. I also thought it would be nice to make some Yule decorations. I give out hand-made gifts every year along with gifts I have bought and I think this year it will be salt dough decorations.

everything happens for a reason

Nesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09   #23
Raven43

My cousin made her own Yule decorations using a variety of cookie cutters and then painting them and sprinkling glitter.
Old 10-27-09   #24
Daedralord

Made my first salt dough batch today. It didn't come out too well. I thought I kneaded it good and yet the dough seemed to swell and bubble a bit as it baked. I think also my thickness was uneven slightly and it showed up when baking. I even managed to burn it slightly, though paint can hide that. Some of my pieces cracked a little.

Made some discs to use as talismans. Small little pieces to carry in your pocket. Also made a candle holder.

Will post pictures later. Actually was a learning try.
Old 10-27-09   #25
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven43 View Post
My cousin made her own Yule decorations using a variety of cookie cutters and then painting them and sprinkling glitter.

Oh, I like this idea! I've been collecting cookie cutters for years and have some pretty funky ones. That feels like it could be a first step for me -, maybe this weekend. I seriously want to try this.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09   #26
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

I'm making a bowl today, using an oven proof dish as a mould.

DL if you are using a thick layer of dough you could maybe try pricking it before you bake it, or put some baking parchment and beans on top to weight it down. If the mixture cracked it sounds like it was too dry.

It's good fun though isn't it?

Old 10-27-09   #27
Daedralord

it is great fun. The ruggedness of my talismans don't bother me too much. And the candle holder came out pretty nice. Will look good once painted. Just have to think of the appropriate mystical symbols to put on it.
Old 10-27-09   #28
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

How did you shape the candle holder?
My attempts at a candle holder failed today but I have two bowls in the oven just now. The little one is moulded round a ramekin and the larger one is moulded around a le creuset casserole dish.

Old 10-27-09   #29
Daedralord

Old 10-27-09   #30
Daedralord

Sorry the quality is very bad. Had to use a webcam to take these. The candle holder is unpainted and there you see two of my talismans. The candle holder was formed by simply making the circular base and constructing a diamond shape holder for the candle. The pricks in the clay actually helped that it didn't swell like my others in some parts. But it was actually intended as holes for incense sticks.