Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Earth Energies

Earth Energies Dragon Lines , Ley Lines , Telluric Current , Standing Stones , Subterranean Energies , Earth Temples , Mounds , Earth Magic

Old 03-16-13   #1
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

Default Earth Day (April 22nd) / Earth Hour ( March 23rd)

This might seem like a strange place to put this - however I have been considering Earth Day and Earth Hour.

Do you participate in Earth Hour?

http://www.earthhour.org/

Do you make a point of observing Earth Day?

http://www.earthday.org/

I think they are particularly relevant to me, as a Pagan - but I was also thinking how, as Pagans, if we worked with the energy created by these days, and in the lead up to them, to try and direct that to raised awareness of our responsibilities to the planet, and healing.

I am thinking I will spend some time on this over the next month or so.

Thoughts?

FPSM - inspired by Donald L. Engstrom-Reece

Business page on the ubiquitous Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FabienneS.Morgana

Twitter: https://twitter.com/FabienneMorgana
Fabienne S. Morgana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13   #2
Technician

Default Re: Earth Day (April 22nd) / Earth Hour ( March 23rd)

My university used to appreciate the earth hour...
If i recall correctly it used to be everyday from 12-2 no electricity used in all of our university.
I am not sure if they are doing this in the current year.
Old 04-22-13   #3
Atehequa

And a happy Earth Day to every living thing.
Atehequa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13   #4
Fethenwen

I celebrated Earth Hour this year by having a nice evening (without using any electricity for many hours) drumming and just hanging out.

I don't know what I will do today though.
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13   #5
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne S. Morgana View Post
Do you make a point of observing Earth Day?
No.

The problem with things like Earth Day, is the same issue you run into with Christmas. (Although I do observe Christmas, but generally on a small scale)

Namely, that if you create a single day where you care about something, you're also creating the implicit assumption that you do not care about said something, for the other 364 days of the year.

I've seen this discussed in another forum. Earth Day is basically an opportunity for people who on a normal basis, genuinely would not give a crap, to experience a false sense of virtue about holding awareness (and yes, not doing anything else at all; just thinking about it) of environmental degradation in their minds for a maximum of 24 hours.

I know what the activists are going to say in response to this; that any awareness is good awareness, and people can still have their lives changed by being exposed to the issues, etc etc. On an extremely superficial level this is true, but for the most part it's garbage.

We have groups like Greenpeace (as simply the most prominent example) screaming from the rooftops on a daily basis. Most people don't hear it, because they either don't want to be pulled away from YouTube, or even if they do notice it, they worship Milton Friedman to a sufficient degree that they don't think they need to care. There is always an implicit assumption on the Right that trashing the environment = progress = jobs = money = life, and environmental protection = halting progress = no jobs = no money = no life.

The problem we face, is not one of insufficient activism, or of insufficient circulation of information. Global warming is common knowledge; everybody knows about it.

The central problem is the fact that we still have a majority within the Western world, who believe that Capitalism as an ideology has a legitimate right to exist.

As long as that is true, the only progress that the environmental movement will make, will be incremental and piecemeal. Yes, the activists in Nimbin prevented Terrania from being cut down, and established the Nightcap National Park, as one example. Important stuff. Necessary stuff. Not arguing with that. It was a single battle, however, and we are losing the war.

The real problem is much deeper. Mutual aid, as a philosophy, is still fringe. Malthusian Social Darwinism, and Randian Objectivism are still mainstream, majority held ideologies. The majority still agree with Gordon Gekko, that greed is good.

As long as the majority still think in the manner that the psychopaths decree, extinction is still the long term prognosis. Earth Day is less than fluff; it's an attempt to bring momentary awareness of symptoms, to the minds of people who generally don't even know that they are afflicted with a disease.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13   #6
feranaja

I spent yesterday making medicinal honeys and vinegars, using local honey and mostly herbs I grew myself. The ones I didn't grow I purchased from an organic producer. I'm starting more seeds, turning soil and tending seedlings today. Somewhere in there I'm marking papers (I teach herbalism and canine nutrition) and making home made animal food. Also working up some salve with wildcrafted plants, filling the birdfeeders, tending the hearthfire. I hope to get an hour outside this afternoon for some D3 and to watch the falcons and hawks. Dan and I'll trudge around in whatever part of the forest is not too TOO mucky right now.

Just sayin' - everyday is Earth Day here. Not as perfectly as I'm aiming toward, but beautiful and connected all the same.
So, aside from the fact I might just bake something celebratory- today is like any other day for me. Earth-based, earth-honouring, grateful, and aware.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13   #7
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
I celebrated Earth Hour this year by having a nice evening (without using any electricity for many hours) drumming and just hanging out.

I don't know what I will do today though.
Not aimed at you Fethenwen, your post just reminded me of it.

These get me it the logic behind them. At best unless one cuts the main breaker to their home using no power equates to using the same amount of power they use when asleep. All those many little items, and large items continue to run in the back ground and suck up power.

It's like the people who say they use no power on earth hour or day so drive to a store or mall or something while they save power. Sometimes simply go for a long drive in the country or visiting as they have "Cut" power usage at their home.

I suppose in many ways I am with Petrus4 on this one. It plays lip service to something that most simply sidestep around. Patting themselves upon the back for supposedly saving power or whatever then turning it back up as soon as its over. Many times very apparent when you consider most earth hour and earth day events occur during daylight hours. I saved money and power by cutting of light I should't be using anyway if one simply opened the curtains for instance.
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13   #8
feranaja

Aside from power; people can do so many things. Cutting back on chemical use (in cosmetics, household cleaners, lawn and garden chemicals)..just changing how you raise and care for animals can have an enormous impact, not the least of which is on antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. Have you ever gone to the vet where you DIDNT walk out with antibiotics? Yes, it's almost three quarters insurance and cash for them, not needed at all. Switch your animals to holistic care. Replace chemical-laden cleaners with natural ones. Support local organic farmers. Crosspost petitions and awareness campaigns. Grow some of your own veg and herbs. Stop dyeing your hair/paining your nails. There's a thousand things you can do, that help minimize the toxification of the planet.
I do like to think I live "Earth Day" -step by step - but if celebrating it helps others to incorporate change into their lives, it's a great thing! If not, another useless bit of NuAge feelgoodery.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13   #9
Fethenwen

Haha, yeah I suppose so. Turning off the lights, and recycling more that day or taking the bike to work isn't going to do much of a difference.

I like the fact that Earth Hour is held late autumn/early winter, so that it's super dark that time of the year. Dark outside already 4pm. Makes it extra cozy.

But I like the symbolical effort of it, Earth certainly needs her own day to bring more awareness about all kinds of earth centered things - most often environmental issues, if only for a day. Better than nothing.
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-13   #10
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Just sayin' - everyday is Earth Day here. Not as perfectly as I'm aiming toward, but beautiful and connected all the same.
So, aside from the fact I might just bake something celebratory- today is like any other day for me. Earth-based, earth-honouring, grateful, and aware.
A lot of the time you're seriously better at making my points than I am, Fera.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote