Go Back   EarthSong Forums > OffTopic > The Newcomer Canteen

The Newcomer Canteen New to Earthsong Forums? Don't know where to start? Meet up here with others who may feel the same way. Meet other new members and interact with the regular one's. Forge new bonds of friendship and become part of our little Earthsong Forums family.

Old 02-23-19   #1
Annie_Wong

Default Merry Meet!

Hello dear witches, pagans, Wiccans and all members of this forum with their own specific orientation,

I am located in Southern Germany where weather currently is pretty erratic. With Matronalia on its way I guess some of you are going to celebrate it. I haven't ever celebrated any esbats or sabbats yet, but am looking forward to do so in the future for I am going to look for a deeper level of knowledge.
I delved into diverse literature by now, mainly about white magic and Wicca, but am interested in any kind of spirituality. I may be a gnostic, I am not really certain, but definitely a rookie in the world of witchcraft. I am happy that I have the chance to meet you members of this forum and hungry for all the information and experiences you have. It's always great to get to know like-minded people and I am eager what my entry brings.

Thank you all for reading and Merry Part!
Annie

Last edited by Annie_Wong; 02-23-19 at 08:17 AM.
Annie_Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-19   #2
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Default Re: Merry Meet!

Welcome to ESF! There is certainly plenty of information around and we're always open to new discussions, so don't hesitate to dive in and engage! Hope you'll enjoy your stay.
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-19   #3
feranaja

Hi Annie Wong! What an exciting stage you are at! There's so much to learn ahead (and always will be) we're here to help and chat, so like SunSister wrote above - dive in and ask away.

I'm a Traditional (non-Wiccan) Witch, a student of Druidry, a career herbalist and general Woman of Magic. I struggle with labels, to be honest. But I love this life, and work, and am always grateful to be on the path I am.

Tell us more about what you're reading, what drew you to the Craft, maybe?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-19   #4
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Hello Annie_Wong. Welcome to the forum.

If I could impart one bit of wisdom it would be magic doesn't come in any color there is only magic. If one is going to assign colors to anything then it is intent that you might assign colors to and that is even suspect for actions are driven by causation and purpose. So one action might be deemed as black yet change the causation and it becomes gray or white.
Old 02-23-19   #5
Bartmanhomer

Hello and welcome to Earthsong Forums.
Bartmanhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-19   #6
Annie_Wong

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!

@SunSister: I am happy to hear you are open for discussion and encourage participation without being ashamed or such.

@feranja: Thank you for your kind and motivational words. Your path sounds pretty interesting and above all unique. It will be great to keep in touch and exchange views and experiences. Thank you for the info you shared about yourself!

@MonSno_LeeDra:
Thanks for the input! Actually I've heard about this as well, but (as a matter of form) I referenced the actual title of one of the books as it was. I think it is from a German witch (not so sure about the label) named Ansha titled "Weiße Magie: Das große Praxisbuch". It is like an introduction to how to awaken your own magical powers and use them in your everyday life. I enjoyed studying it, there was much information about magical tools, symbols, trance, meditation and plenty of other content. A male friend of mine who is practicing the craft since over a decade already recommended it to me. I liked the book, though it was very clear the author is exclusively practicing what she is calling White Magic. She also gave words of warning, but in fact she really divided magic in good and bad. Personally I also think there are two sides of one coin and thinking in black and white is difficult. So the reading was good, but I wouldn't just adopt an opinion. Thanks for the remark, because there's much to learn! I am looking forward to further advice!

@Bartmanhomer:
Thank you so much!
Old 02-23-19   #7
satanubis

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it here!

Reading is Love | The Diary of an Egyptian Witch | I Love My Books
satanubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19   #8
Annie_Wong

Thank you satanubis!

feranja, sorry, I overread your question. I think I myself became aware of the craft by believing that everyone has to hold some personal power having some self-efficacy. I believe in nature as the center of elemental energy. I feel that in monotheistic faith you are always completely in a dependant position and in my view among many other things the craft grants self-confidence and a sense of responsibility for your actions. Maybe the drive to make the world a better place by holding good intentions whereas "good" is also in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps world improvement as it is often indicated is a bit too idealistic. I assume one has to be a realist, especially at the beginning doing things in a small way. For Wicca I read Witchraft & Wicca for Dummies for I really enjoy the "for Dummies" series. It was pretty informative but the author explicitly recommends further literature, which is always a good sign instead of claiming something is the sole legitimate source of knowledge.

btw: If any of you has some literary recommendations I am super thankful to know about them. I am entirely open-minded and curious and don't desire to take a certain path in the craft.
Old 02-25-19   #9
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie_Wong View Post

feranja, sorry, I overread your question. I think I myself became aware of the craft by believing that everyone has to hold some personal power having some self-efficacy. I believe in nature as the center of elemental energy. I feel that in monotheistic faith you are always completely in a dependant position and in my view among many other things the craft grants self-confidence and a sense of responsibility for your actions. Maybe the drive to make the world a better place by holding good intentions whereas "good" is also in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps world improvement as it is often indicated is a bit too idealistic. I assume one has to be a realist, especially at the beginning doing things in a small way. For Wicca I read Witchraft & Wicca for Dummies for I really enjoy the "for Dummies" series. It was pretty informative but the author explicitly recommends further literature, which is always a good sign instead of claiming something is the sole legitimate source of knowledge.

Great ideas here Annie, although of course there is no right or wrong, I was just furthering discussion. What brings us to a path is always interesting. And I agree about doing small things initially, walk before you run, but I also believe that even after many years of practise, small things can make powerful differences. For example, I have been overworking this past two years, and less time for the things that feed my soul, but I take a half hour in the morning to get centered, do some reading and make offerings to my shrines. It's only a half hour or so, but if I miss it, I feel more stressed in the day ahead. I also try to do my grounding and meditation mid day, which is when I need it the most. If I miss THAT, boy do I feel it! So "small things" but they have an important impact on my day.

I haven't seen the Dummies book, but there are several recommended reading lists in the other forums. My own earliest books (there weren't many back then)are all now considered "the classics" - The Spiral Dance by Starhawk, The Witches' Way by Janet and Stewart Farrar, several by Marian Green including A Witch Alone and Natural Magic, Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler...but I was also pretty immersed in other forms of esoterica, so reading all of Dion Fortune's works, for example. I started my tarot study early and Rachel Pollock has always been by main guide, bookwise. But again, loads of recommendations in individual forums.

FWIW I would recommend starting with the classics - read British Traditional Witchcraft, read Starhawk, read Marian Green....find your way. It takes time and may change as you go through life - for me, as long as your spirituality "harms none" and is an authentic expression of your heart AND mind, you cant go wrong.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19   #10
Sollie

Welcome to ESF!

Eat early, then eat pizza rolls when at home.
Sollie is offline   Reply With Quote