Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Ritual Magic > Dion Fortune

Dion Fortune Forum for discussion of Dion, her work, books, magic and life; modern interpreters of her thought

Old 06-30-10   #1
moonbride
I'm just me.

Default Training and Work of an Initiate

Starting this one today so thought I'd open up a place for discussion to any who have read it already or are going to.

Can't wait to get started!

"That which derives from our native folk tradition springs up like water from the soil,
made alive by the good brown earth and fresh with the breath of herb and tree;
it springs, it sparkles. It vitalizes a man's nature because it puts him in touch with the sun-warmed rain-wet earth
-- his native earth, that his bare feet trod as a child when his soul was open and he still could feel the unseen."
~ Dion Fortune

moonbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10   #2
moonbride
I'm just me.

Default Re: Training and Work of an Initiate

There really is a whole lot of info packed in this one tiny little book!
I enjoyed it... was a quick read most of the time. I did find myself going over some things a little slower to try and grasp it better.

Who else has read it?

"That which derives from our native folk tradition springs up like water from the soil,
it springs, it sparkles. It vitalizes a man's nature because it puts him in touch with the sun-warmed rain-wet earth
-- his native earth, that his bare feet trod as a child when his soul was open and he still could feel the unseen."
~ Dion Fortune

Old 07-01-10   #3
David_2010

I haven't read it in full yet, but, you've made me want to get get it, which I will do, maybe next week.
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10   #4
feranaja

How is it going with this one? As you know, it's the basis for my entire practise. Not that I always meet the standards, lol. Did you finish it? I know David's away for a bit. maybe nyghtfall and ffetcher will weigh in too? Sorry i had such a busy week, I really got behind.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10   #5
moonbride
I'm just me.

I did finish it... that one was a quick read but I need to read through it again I think.
As I read more and more DF books I recall things she said in previous books and then I get these "Aha moments" where things all kind of fit together. So I'm thinking that I'll probably need to read most of them again to really appreciate them.

~ Dion Fortune

Old 07-15-10   #6
ffetcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbride View Post
I did finish it... that one was a quick read but I need to read through it again I think.
It's a great little book (although I must admit that I'm hazy as to what's in this one and what in "Esoteric Orders...", so I should re-read it). Once I'd finished it the first time, I re-read one chapter each morning (I was commuting by train at the time) giving me all day to absorb it before moving on to the next.

I re-read both books in April 2002, as preparatory work before working through the Crotona Fellowship material at the university library (I looked up the date in my files). The contrast is startling - although much of the material covers the same areas, Dion is a far better writer and communicator than Sullivan, which is what makes "Training and Work..." such a fine book even after all these years.

It may also be a bit of a working out kind of thing on her part, between the 'closed group' bit and the 'let's make this public' stuff. But whatever, it's good.

blessings
ffetcher
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote