Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > Animal Health and Healing

Animal Health and Healing for discussion of all aspects of animal care - diet, veterinary options, complementary and alternative medicine, all species and all methods.

Old 08-26-13   #71
windspirit

Default Re: Need some help, guidance or suggestions

I am so sorry to learn about Blackie . My eldest dog, Gracie, died in my arms on July 28 and we are still raw after the loss .
It's a terrible surprise to lose a pet all of a sudden.
Heartfelt sympathies..............ws
Old 08-26-13   #72
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
How old was Blackie? What type of dog (sorry I know you have some Dals and some mixes,but I can't recall which is which).
An enlarged prostate is common in intact older males; it can be benign, bacterial, or it can be cancer. If indeed it was cancer, it could have spread to the spleen and caused internal bleeding. Any tumour can rupture but a splenic one is much more likely (that's what caused the sudden death of my first Ridgeback). If the enlargement was bacterial (infection) Blackie might have gone septic very quickly. But it's all conjecture until the autopsy.
Whatever caused it, I know only too well how devastating a sudden death can be. At least with a diagnosis and longer illness you have time to emotionally prepare and to say goodbye. This has to be a terrible shock for you and your family, knowing how much you care about the dogs, and I want to send you my deepest sympathy. Blackie was well loved by you and it's just a terrible shame he had to go suddenly like this.

much sympathy at this sad sad time; please let us know what you find out, too. It's been my experience that knowing the cause can help owners make peace with what happened to their dog.

fera
Tks Fera,

Blackie was 6 years old and still intact. He was a mix of Dalmatian and Pit. Never an aggressive dog but he'd love you to death and would rise up against the wall so you could rub his chest and scratch his head or ears. Then snuggle his head up under your chin and kiss your face to no end.

IN fact when we got there yesterday it surprised us that Sassy, the full pit and his mother, had jumped out of her kennel and was at the door when we opened it. Not sure if she had been there the whole time but something happened to make her jump almost 7 feet of fencing so she could be loose and wander the walkway between the sections. She definitely would have been able to touch Blackie as he had his rear end against the door to his kennel.

We turned his body over today so it could be autopsy can be done. Right now were starting wit a basic autopsy and if that doesn't show anything we'll pay for the more expensive one. His body will be cremated once its done and his ashes placed beside Fred's until such time as they are buried.

The uncertainty of how or why he died is hitting us hard. Not just for his sake and our own peace of mind but also if it could transfer to the others that were kenneled with him. That would be his mother Sassy (full pit), Brother Scrapper and sisters Angel, Missy and Lady (all Half pit half Dalmatian), Fred was their father.

We still haven't broken it to the grandchildren who are 7 and twins of 4 so that is still going to be hard. Especially when they say "Why?"
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13   #73
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by windspirit View Post
I am so sorry to learn about Blackie . My eldest dog, Gracie, died in my arms on July 28 and we are still raw after the loss .
It's a terrible surprise to lose a pet all of a sudden.
Heartfelt sympathies..............ws
Thank you
Old 08-26-13   #74
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Well we have the results now.

He had a blockage that didn't show up in the x-ray at all, a small piece of his bedding towel that he had chewed and swallowed. There was a small opening from the intestines that caused him to leak intestinal fluids into the body and caused him to go septic. The vet couldn't understand why he didn't pass the piece of cloth through his system as it didn't cause any swelling in the intestinal track or cause a blockage that would be visible without having an autopsy performed.

The vet tells us there is nothing we could have done to prevent it and even the x-ray's didn't show anything to justify opening him up and causing him more pain on tuesday when we took him in. I suppose that should make us feel better but it doesn't ease the pain or questioning that could we have done something different.

All I know is within a few months now I've had to put one dog down due to age and now another has died and it tears me up more inside than any death of a human has ever done. We didn't use cloth at our old home but straw for bedding and I feel it is partly my fought he died now.
Old 08-26-13   #75
windspirit

I don't know what to say to you. You could not to forsee he would chew the cloth and it would not pass , as it normally would have. None of this entire scenario is your fault .

But I feel your ouch . If we had had more money we could have taken her tothe vet for a senior's check up.

Need to grieve in our own ways but please try not to beat yourself up about it.

Last edited by windspirit; 08-26-13 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling
windspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13   #76
feranaja

MonSno, I work with dogs for a living and I did "everything right" with Luke - and he still died, from an insidious cancer that affects so many, and I STILL beat myself up for years afterwards. (Had I given him too much fish oil? Did it hasten the bleed? Should I have had an extra check up that summer?) and on and on.

I just want to say, you're not alone, and I feel for your loss very deeply.
Do you have a picture of Blackie you could share?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13   #77
David_2010

I'm so sorry MonSno, but, it's not your fault, like windspirit said, you couldn't have foreseen that he would have chewed the cloth. It was just a tragic accident, but, I know how awful it must feel.

Again, my sympathies are with you and your family.
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13   #78
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Didn't realize just how much stuff was lost when my hard drive failed recently. Here is a picture of Blackie that is a 2 years old but captures him. I've also attached a picture of Fred as well so people can see what he looked liked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0002.JPG (1.13 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0306 2.jpg (558.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by MonSno_LeeDra; 08-27-13 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-27-13   #79
David_2010

Both dogs look absolutely adorable in those photos, MonSno, and I definitely see how easy it is to fall in love with them (and how hard it must be to lose them), I really like the way they're looking straight into the camera.
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote