Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Knowledge is Power > Wicca 101

Wicca 101 A 6 to 8 week course covering basic topics about what the religion of Wicca is and how you can explore it further.

Old 11-07-11   #1
Ben Gruagach

Default 1C. What Do You Like or Dislike About the Intro Material?

Introductions to a topic such as Wicca are by definition going to be general and brief. What do you think about the introduction text and video? Were they helpful to you in getting an idea what Wicca is about? Were there any parts you disagree with and thought they got it wrong?

It's common for newcomers to Wicca to assume that the first material they encounter is automatically universal among Wiccans rather than the specific (sometimes idiosyncratic) teachings of a particular tradition or teacher. Did you see any examples of this in the introductory document or video here? Please identify the example and explain why you think it might not be universal among Wiccans.
Ben Gruagach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11   #2
ffetcher

Default Re: 1C. What Do You Like or Dislike About the Intro Material?

I like your intro a lot: comparisons between it and the video, of course, make the point about differences in terminology quite well, and I wondered whether that was deliberate? Personally I prefer your approach in para three of 'a few examples...', but I'll leave others to comment on that in more detail.

Oh, and there seems to be some rule on Youtube that anything about Wicca has to have tacky background music.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11   #3
The Black Elf

I get my usual complete identification & association with your introduction Ben Grugach as I would usually do with all things I view as authentic Triple Godess Wicca.

NICE!

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11   #4
Lightdragon
pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffetcher View Post
I like your intro a lot: comparisons between it and the video, of course, make the point about differences in terminology quite well, and I wondered whether that was deliberate? Personally I prefer your approach in para three of 'a few examples...', but I'll leave others to comment on that in more detail.
this i agree.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11   #5
The Black Elf

Like I say I do really like the video & can understand the distancing between the pentagram & inverted pentagram despite the obvious similarites......

A wee trip to the Hall of mirrors very simply & sanely describes the meaning of Baphomet,Satan &(most importantly?) PAN,& the nature of the energy & star system which the labels represent.I realise this is not to everyone's tastes,although it is nice to see that they were all acknowledged in the Vid.

Not to acknowledge them would be like disregarding your liver because you don't understand how it regenerates & seems too yucky to begin to understand.

Personally Lucifer I can do without.

This being Occult knowledge known only by a few & kicks over a few cans of worms among zealots & desperate pond life unable to communicate.

So at the expense of seeming a wee bit fluffy,the wicca video correctly distances the triple godess aspect from the upturned pentagram aspect,so as to remained focused upon wicca which is the original intent.

Dunno if anyone has any other views?the video is a masterpiece & I like it more & more.

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden

Last edited by The Black Elf; 11-08-11 at 04:55 PM.
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11   #6
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I really like the video, it was a nice visual to go along with the text...

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11   #7
Lightdragon
pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigidrose View Post
I really like the video, it was a nice visual to go along with the text...
the video was nice . although at 10:50 or so into it. it stated that sometimes the pentacle is inverted for some uses. I wish she could have been slightly more detailed in it. but this is mainly an introductory

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11   #8
Ben Gruagach

One thing that caught my attention in the video was when she was talking about the Threefold Law. Her way of explaining it, as more than just action=reaction, is not something that I've found to be universal among Wiccans.

Her explanation of the Threefold Law was that it had three parts:
1. What you send out returns to you tenfold.
2. Consequences of your sins will carry through seven generations (or seven lives if you believe in reincarnation.)
3. You will be treated the way you treat others.

Personally I always understood the Threefold Law to be that what you send out comes back to you, often described as coming back three times or three times as powerful. From a rational standpoint it doesn't really make sense that it would come back more than what you sent out (three times seems a bit much and ten times even more unlikely) since science teaches that action = reaction. To me it's really about accepting and working with the understanding that everything is connected and that our actions have consequences.

And from what I've learned from interacting with other Wiccans I think most think of the Threefold Law as more along the action = reaction explanation than the three part explanation in the video.

I've found it is common though for relative newcomers to Wicca to assume that the way things are explained to them by their first teachers (or first few books they read on the topic) are assumed to be "the way it is for all Wiccans" when it's not necessarily the case.

Thoughts?
Old 11-09-11   #9
Ben Gruagach

Oh, and the video mentioned the spelling of magic/magick as a Wiccan thing. It's not a universal thing among Wiccans or Pagans either. Some choose to use the magick spelling, many do not.
Old 11-09-11   #10
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdragon View Post
the video was nice . although at 10:50 or so into it. it stated that sometimes the pentacle is inverted for some uses. I wish she could have been slightly more detailed in it. but this is mainly an introductory
Since this is the first video I have ever seen,about Wicca, I thought it was perfect for an intro....I am sure Ben will make clearer the different points..

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote