Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > The Sacred Grove

The Sacred Grove A forum for discussing Druidry, in all its many expressions and forms

Old 03-29-14   #1
feranaja

Default Where is everyone at with their studies?

I have a little quiet time this weekend, and I am reviewing some aspects of my Druidic study. It's been a bit of a whirlwind this year with Dan's cancer diagnosis and surgery, with other, personal stuff - spiritually,I've defaulted to what I usually do; basic exercises, daily offerings, prayer and meditation somewhat sporadic, small bites of study(I learned a lot about the Betulaceae, birch and alder, listening to an online class yesterday while waking up with coffee.) But I've lost focus on both OBOD and AMS and feel like I need to get back into a rhythm there. Of course there is nothing wrong with casual practise, and at times of stress it will be necessary - but I feel a need, right now, for more commitment. I think I will complete the AMS course and decide then whether to do OBOD first or Earth Magic, because with all my herbal work I won't be able to do both at once. I have loved the Sacred Magic course so much, with Mara, I actually cannot wait for Level Two, but then there is this whole year of OBOD work sitting in my room, waiting to be tackled.

Just thought to open discussion with the others here either working through some studies or just casually interested in Druidry.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-14   #2
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Default Re: Where is everyone at with their studies?

I am, as you know working with the Avaloian Magic...I love it. I have a new lesson to listen to tomorrow. I only have been able to hear it live a couple of times, Sat is a busy day at the office for me. I am thinking about the Way of Merlin course next. I wish I would of done this years ago, but, I was not ready for it...

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-14   #3
feranaja

The Way of Merlin is a must-do. Which Lesson are you on? Sacred Magic has been such a wonderful course for me....on so many levels. <3

Shane Parrish
Old 03-29-14   #4
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I am on lesson 7...just. I have to print it out and read it...then do the practicum. I love Mara

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14   #5
DonelleBeira

I am exactly where I am supposed to be. When I decided on this Path, I also decided that the time spent on the First Degree, my experiences and progress, would remain private. That is not a requirement of the curriculum; simply a personal choice. I will say that I don't recall feeling such peace in my Soul. Every step makes sense, fits like a glove that was made just for me.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14   #6
feranaja

I keep about 70% of what I do private as well - always have, and always will. I agree, it's a very good idea. Good to hear you are enjoying the first year work, too!

The other day I was (as usual) lamenting how much time I spend working - not just client stuff and marking assignments, but researching, developing curriculum, working with herbal formulas and so on...I absolutely love most of it, but after 10 hours of ti and then 4 more at least of house chores, I have little energy left for anything but bed. I was grumbling to myself about lacking the energy for more overt practise - when I suddenly realized - one of those voices..."This IS my Druidry"...I am of the Healer class and the work I do, while leaving little time for ritual, for example (Druidic ritual is so different from what I have learned over the years, in other traditions) embodies the practical life of a Druid of old - living at the edge of the forest, caring for plants and animals, studying and honing her craft...- I would like, I NEED to set some space aside daily for meditation, but overall, I am living the life. Some part of me was disconnected from that, probably because there is WAY too much computer time here(soon to change) and when I got the flash, of recognition, I also was able to relax a bit, not feel so much pressure to do more, study more, practise more. I already do what I was called to do in this life, and that is such a gift.

Surely I can find that one more hour a day for the internal aspects I am longing for.

Shane Parrish
Old 03-30-14   #7
DonelleBeira

If I don't grab that first time in the mornings for myself and what I need to do, I find it almost impossible to stop later during the day and take care of those things. Nor do they have the impact later in the day that they do during those early morning hours. They become simply one more chore before me instead of reaffirming that union. Those morning times act as sort of a lubricant for what the remainder of the day may bring, that "living the life" you speak of, Fera.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
by Tad Williams
Old 03-30-14   #8
feranaja

Same for me - the early hours are critical. My problem is, I never can decide whether to watch instructional videos I can't find time for later on, or do some other (non dog related) reading, or a Tarot meditation, or...you get the picture. I should just make sure I stay off the pc, and forego all the herb videos; once i am sitting here, the bombardment starts, and I have difficulty ignoring it. 6 PMs so far this Sunday morning asking for help. Facebook has made me a public figure who is always being scrutinized for availability. That's something I need to cull, and cull soon. Having a big struggle with that one, believe me. I log in to my Timeline and post an image, it's Open Season on Cat Lane, and I mean immediately.

Shane Parrish
Old 03-30-14   #9
DonelleBeira

It's easier for me in the mornings because I have the same routine every morning, same rituals, same ceremonies. I don't have to decide which to choose this morning. Now later in the day when it's time to find some quiet for study THAT becomes a problem.

I couldn't take the pressure you live under, Fera. I would simply have to set some boundaries, for myself as well as others, and stick to them come hell or high water. I would have to give up many of the things you do as I simply could not keep up with it all in any manner that would be beneficial to anyone. That you retain any sanity and manage to communicate cohesively boggles this wee mind on a daily basis!

by Tad Williams
Old 03-30-14   #10
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonelleBeira View Post

I couldn't take the pressure you live under, Fera. I would simply have to set some boundaries, for myself as well as others, and stick to them come hell or high water. I would have to give up many of the things you do as I simply could not keep up with it all in any manner that would be beneficial to anyone. That you retain any sanity and manage to communicate cohesively boggles this wee mind on a daily basis!
I am, actually, about to give up several things that are stressful, exhausting and ultimately eat into my energy and finances. Right now, examining what I get from these scenarios and how to change. There are deep patterns underlying my attachment to things like groups; have to let go. It's a leap of faith, but something I absolutely need to do, if I plan to realize my more important goals.

Shane Parrish