Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > The Gardening Forum

The Gardening Forum Indoor and outdoor gardening - vegetables, fruit, herbs, flowers - any topic related to growing, using, preserving plants

Old 02-20-18   #1
Sollie

Default What's your 2018 Garden Like?

I figured it'd be fun to start a thread for our garden's this year.

Last year was the first year we attempted a garden, and did alright, but towards the end of summer it got a bit uhm, what's the word I'm looking for?

Neglected. (whoops...)

So I have my work cut out for me this year. We have 5 garden beds, so that each of our kids (though the youngest is really too young to do much) have their own and can do whatever they want for it.

I'm gonna attempt to attach a picture...

I'm thinking dig up what weeds I can, put down cardboard, and then soil and keep it weed free this time.

Still deciding what to plant in it, but I've got a little bit of time to decide.

What about you guys?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_p4h3bhPcZT1rml2xlo1_1280.jpg (515.5 KB, 2 views)

Eat early, then eat pizza rolls when at home.
Sollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18   #2
October

Default Re: What's your 2018 Garden Like?

I need to get you a pic of our garden too, it is a nightmare. The cauliflowers, of all things, have claimed it as their own, and all others kneel before them.

I think the first thing we need to do is put down nutrients because we've had two years now of fruits getting half ripe, then just hanging on for weeks before rotting. I think we got three tomatoes total out of last year's crop. I also want to shut off the automatic watering system because it tends to flood and then the weeds take over and we can't reclaim them fast enough. Didn't help that we went on a 3-week vacation last year at the height of summer.

But we usually the plant the same things: tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, eggplants. I enjoyed out oak leaf lettuce we had last year, and we attempted spaghetti squash, which will be fun if it works. We also tried 3 Sisters farming, but nothing ripened. So hopefully, this year, we can stay on top of it.

MAKE IT FOR ME, MAGICAL POT WITH SKILLS I DON'T POSSESS
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-18   #3
Sollie

Cleared out the gardens today! There's still some work to be done, but most of the overgrowth and old cornstalks/sunflower steps got dug out. I'm gonna lay down either cardboard or newspapers and put some more dirt on top to finish it up, and then try to stay on top of the weeds this time.

Still not sure what I'm gonna plant so far, but I have a little bit of time to figure it out. I know mint and maybe lemongrass in a pot, but not sure what in the garden.

Eat early, then eat pizza rolls when at home.
Sollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-18   #4
October

It looks amazing ^_^

MAKE IT FOR ME, MAGICAL POT WITH SKILLS I DON'T POSSESS
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18   #5
feranaja

The Thing is putting in raised beds for me; he also keeps bringing home flat after flat of flowers. I've started some herbs - one f the hardest things for me to leave when I moved, was my big, long developed herb garden. Knowing that the people in that place will mow over/poison my beloved Betonica, Self heal, Elfwort, Blue-eyed Grass, Mugwort and all the rest just wrenches my heart. But I knew it was going to be important to carry on, so I've started seeds, put in flowers, and am building a sanctuary here. Nothing is forever, and the fact is that I called those herbs, sang to them learned them and used them - and that's a sacred in itself, whether it's "forever" or not.
And the devas remember....

Sollie - how is your garden going these days? I'll take pictures of mine as we get underway, too.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18   #6
Flailing Idiot
DOUCHEBAG

a few years ago, I had the front dug up and the grass removed. Grass is useless unless I guess, you want to I dunno play soccer, or something I guess. I planted all kinds of things, lilacs, lavender, and a number of other items I don't remember the name of. I also planted in the centre, a large Japanese maple. At first I liked it, but then began to think perhaps I had fallen victim to the Toronto hipster look at my wee tree thing. I began to envy another house's clump birch they planted. But, either side of me, are 2 huge silver maples and there isn't enough room for another huge tree to compete. It's in its 6th year now and it's now reached 10 feet or so, and about the same in spread, it looks glorious, so I'm certainly going to leave it. The back, needs a lot of work, but I haven't been well enough to dig it up last year, hoping this year I might be able to do something.
Flailing Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18   #7
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flailing Idiot View Post
a few years ago, I had the front dug up and the grass removed. Grass is useless unless I guess, you want to I dunno play soccer, or something I guess. I planted all kinds of things, lilacs, lavender, and a number of other items I don't remember the name of. I also planted in the centre, a large Japanese maple. At first I liked it, but then began to think perhaps I had fallen victim to the Toronto hipster look at my wee tree thing. I began to envy another house's clump birch they planted. But, either side of me, are 2 huge silver maples and there isn't enough room for another huge tree to compete. It's in its 6th year now and it's now reached 10 feet or so, and about the same in spread, it looks glorious, so I'm certainly going to leave it. The back, needs a lot of work, but I haven't been well enough to dig it up last year, hoping this year I might be able to do something.

I for one would love some pictures. Japanese maples are GORGEOUS. I think any and all tree planting is good! We're getting a lilac this weekend, something I feel I can't live without. When we get our land, I am for sure planting a silver maple and a whole lot of poplars and cottonwoods.

Shane Parrish
Old 05-16-18   #8
Flailing Idiot
DOUCHEBAG

Lilacs, are simply wonderful. My neighbour has one, the shorter (by shorter I mean 6-8 foot) I think it also may be referred to as a Japanese lilac, I planted one in front, it's currently only about 2 1/2 feet high, I think, I may get a bloom finally this year. Across the street from my favourite gardening centre a house has a very large array of the full size lilacs and when they're in full bloom it's just beautiful, and pungent! I need to replenish the mulch and do a little work yet before I take a picture but I will. The maple has really come out this year and looks just stunning. It was rather anemic when I first bought it and planted it, the trunk was so think I had it staked, now the main trunk is quite thick and is doing well.
Flailing Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18   #9
feranaja

Shane Parrish
Old 05-16-18   #10
feranaja

I'm juts trying to figure out the site SunSister posted - I managed to get a picture up(of the glorious lilacs at my old house) but you have to click on it to get the full effect....

Shane Parrish