Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > The Physical Temple > The Pantry

The Pantry Food, glorious food - share recipes of all descriptions right here.

Old 09-22-09   #1
feranaja

Default Vegetarian recipes and cookbooks

Since I decided a few days ago to eliminate several meats from my diet, I'm looking here to compile a series of vegetarian recipes we can all enjoy. For my seminar last year I made several huge batches of this great chili, the nicest meatless chili I've ever had, I think I'll start with it later today. What are some of your favourite meatfree dishes? I am not giving up meat 100% - just factory farmed, and all beef, chicken and pork products.

For those of you who like to cook and are full or part time vegetarians, what are some of your favourite cookbooks and dishes?

Not especially healthy but I love vegetable samosas and pakoras. I could easily eat meatfree at an indian restaurant, come to think of it.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Vegetarian recipes and cookbooks

I love risotto and unlike many, I don't find it a huge pain to prepare. It just requires a good, heavy bottomed pan and some attentiveness. Here's a favorite fall recipe for risotto with porcini mushrooms. Rib-sticking but elegant, lovely alone or with lamb. This is from Andrew weil, a healthfood guru of mine.

Porcini Risotto
Description
This classic Italian dish is rich with the flavor of dried porcini mushrooms. Adding truffle-flavored olive oil at the end of cooking adds depth. Always remember when making risotto to cook the rice until it is creamy but still has a bit of tooth.
Food as Medicine
The dried Porcini mushroom, Boletus edulus, has an exceptionally high protein content.
Ingredients 1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
3-4 cups warm Vegetable Stock
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, minced
1 cup Arborio rice
Salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons truffle-flavored olive oil (optional) or extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese (optional) Instructions 1. Rinse the dried mushrooms in cold water, drain, and add to warm vegetable stock to soften.

2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion until soft. Add the rice and stir to combine. Add the mushrooms, cut into smaller pieces if necessary. Reduce heat to medium-low.

3. Add the stock, one ladleful at a time, as you stir the rice. As the rice absorbs the liquid, add more. After 15 minutes, test the rice for doneness.

4. When the rice is tender but not mushy, remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, and add truffle-flavored olive oil and grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Shane Parrish
Old 10-09-09   #3
feranaja

This looks delicious and super easy, anyway to get quinoa into us is good! high sodium with olives and cheese, so not for those with high blood pressure. Otherwise looks great, I can't wait to test it out.

Note: try using both green and black olives and a mixture of feta, havarti and old cheddar cheeses.

1 1/2 cups cooked red quinoa
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 leeks, cleaned well and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small head cauliflower, roughly chopped
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 cup pitted olives, chopped
2 cups of your favorite cheese, shredded or crumbled
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped or 1 tbsp. dried marjoram
1/2 cup slivered almonds
Freshly ground pepper

Rinse quinoa in a strainer. Place in medium saucepan with 3 cups water, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In the meantime, heat oil over medium heat, saute onions, leeks until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, cover and steam for 5 minutes.
Combine all other ingredients in a large bowl. Place in a lightly greased casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes. Serves 6.

Shane Parrish
Old 10-09-09   #4
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by serafina View Post
This looks delicious and super easy, anyway to get quinoa into us is good
Yes, quinoa is awesome. All the goodness of millet, without the potential thyroid deficiency. What's not to love? Birdseed ahoy!
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09   #5
feranaja

Quinoa tastes much better too, doesn't it.
just wash it well to remove the saponins, it will taste better well rinsed (less soapy).

Shane Parrish
Old 10-11-09   #6
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Asparagus with Penne Pasta

1 -2 lbs Asparagus
Penne pasta ( regular or gluten free)
1 clove elephant garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
Crushed red pepper to taste.

Heat olive oil in sautee pan
Add Asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces
Just before the asparagus is done ( 10 min)
Add the garlic chopped very fine. Sautee for another 5 min stiring constantly
Prepare Pasta (you can do this while your cooking the Asparagus)
In large bowl combine asparagus and pasta

Add parmasean cheese and crushed red pepper.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09   #7
feranaja

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie

6 Servings Traditional Shepherd's Pie is usually made with ground meat and white potatoes. I like this one because it has sweet potatoes mixed in and omits the meat filling. The curried lentil filling is sandwiched between two layers of creamy potato filling sitting on a crouton crust baked on top of sweet zucchini. I serve this as an entree with a simple chopped tomato salad.

Ingredients:
2 medium or large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
6 medium or large white potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon quality extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning

CURRIED LENTIL FILLING:
3 1/4 cups purified water
1 bay leaf
1 cup lentils
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 cup sliced onions
2 cloves garlic
1 cup sliced shiitake or button mushrooms
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup yellow or red bell pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 zucchini, cut in rounds (about 2 cups)
1 cup bread crumbs or premade croutons

GARNISH:
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions or green onion

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop the cubed sweet and white potatoes into the water and simmer for 45 minutes. They should be easily pierced with a fork. Strain the potatoes, reserving 2 cups of the water. Pour 1 cup of the water back into the pot and mash the potatoes using a potato masher or a large fork. Add the olive oil, Italian seasoning, and Cajun seasoning and mash again until seasonings are completely blended into the potatoes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the lentils: Bring 3 cups of the water to a boil. Add the bay leaf, lentils, and Cajun seasoning and cook for 45 minutes. Remove from heat when completely cooked and let cool briefly. Drain off any liquid.
4. Saute the onions, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, and bell peppers in the olive oil in a large sauce pan until the onions are transparent and limp, about 4 minutes. Add the reserved cup of potato water, nutritional yeast, salt, and curry powder and stir until everything is blended in. Add to the cooked lentils. Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/4 cup water and stir it into the lentil and vegetable mixture. Continue to cook for 3 more minutes, until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
5. Line the bottom of a casserole dish with the zucchini rounds. Sprinkle half of the bread crumbs or croutons on top of the zucchini. Spoon out 4 cups of the mashed potatoes and spread across the zucchini rounds. Spoon out 2 cups of the curried lentils and spread on top of the potatoes. Spoon the remainder of the mashed potatoes and smooth them out on top. Sprinkle the rest of the bread crumbs and the scallions or green onion on top. Bake for 50 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.

Shane Parrish
Old 10-27-09   #8
feranaja

Easy and delicious. Good with beer.

Black Bean Stew
Ingredients

Serves 4
  • 4 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 can (4 1/2 ounces) chopped green chiles
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
  • Coarse salt
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion; cook until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
  2. To the pan, add chiles, beans, tomatoes and their juice, 2 cups water, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
  3. In a blender or food processor, puree 2 cups of the stew. Return the puree to the pan, and add corn; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.

Shane Parrish
Old 11-05-09   #9
feranaja

I can't wait to try this one. I have a superb, I mean no-fail crust recipe, the best I found out of probably hundreds of crust recipes. this one can be thin, chewy or super light and puffy depending on how you handle it. But of course you can use store bought dough too.

Roasted Fall Vegetable and Ricotta Pizza

Ingredients

Serves 4
  • Olive oil, for baking sheet and drizzling
  • Flour, for dusting surface
  • 1 pound store-bought pizza dough, fresh, or thawed if frozen
  • 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
  • 6 cups (about 1/2 recipe) Roasted Fall Vegetables, drained and coarsely cut
  • 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves (optional)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Brush a large baking sheet (preferably rimless) with oil, or line with parchment paper, if desired, for easy cleanup.
  2. On a lightly floured surface, roll and stretch dough into a 12-by-16-inch oval (or as large as will fit on baking sheet); transfer to sheet.
  3. Sprinkle dough with half the mozzarella. Scatter vegetables on top, and dollop with ricotta; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and, if using, rosemary. Drizzle with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Bake until bubbling and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve.

Shane Parrish
Old 11-05-09   #10
feranaja

Roasted Fall Vegetables

Ingredients

Serves 8; Makes about 12 cups
  • 2 pounds (about 1 medium) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • 2 pounds red new potatoes (12 to 14), well scrubbed and quartered
  • 1 pound medium red onions (about 2 to 3), peeled and quartered
  • 1 pound carrots (6 to 8 medium), halved lengthwise, if thick, and cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
  • 4 to 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide vegetables and garlic between two rimmed baking sheets (or line with parchment paper, if desired, for easy cleanup); dividing evenly, toss with oil, 2 teaspoons coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
  2. Roast until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, 40 to 50 minutes, tossing them and rotating sheets from top to bottom halfway through. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Shane Parrish