Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft

Witchcraft Forum for discussion of all types of the Craft, Dianic to BTW, and everything in between

Old 03-05-10   #1
feranaja

Default Resources: Recommended Witchcraft Books

Deepening Witchcraft: Advancing Skills and Knowledge
By Grey Cat
ECW, 2002 ISBN 1550224956
$24.95 CDN
Intended for those with Craft experience, Deepening Witchcraft is for the audience who wants to look at why Craft manifests as it does today. It examines the process of actually living on the path of witchcraft.
Mature no-nonsense approach includes an excellent examination of the myth of origin, ethics, and mechanics. Throughout the book are straightforward definitions of terms touched on in 101 books. Whether this book is actually an "advanced" text is debatable. However, Grey Cat does spend much of the book addressing concepts and issues that experienced Craft practitioners encounter.
Deepening Witchcraft is geared towards teachers and leaders, elders and mentors. Accordingly, a portion of the book is devoted to organising and running large events, and handling interpersonal relations within Craft environment. It also serves as a handbook for spiritual leaders.
Well-written and accessible, Deepening Witchcraft is an excellent book for experienced practitioners functioning in any sort of community environment.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Resources: Recommended Witchcraft Books

pirit of the Witch: Religion and Spirituality in Contemporary Witchcraft
By Raven Grimassi
Llewellyn, 2003 ISBN 0738703389
$19.95 CDN
This book examines the spirituality of the path and of the individuals who walk it. While it could easily be someone's first book on witchcraft, it would most likely serve a reader best as a second beginner's text.
Grimassi approaches the central theme of the book focusing on the concept that practitioners as conscious participants in the pattern of nature, not just observers. The idea of conscious participation may be implied in Neo-Pagan practice, but it seems to be frequently forgotten in the mechanics along the way. In this text Grimassi examines the search for success and abundance as it takes place on the spiritual level as well as the mental level. He also analyses the importance of creativity and the use of mythos to maintain contact and sympathy with the energy of the seasonal cycle.
While the basic information is reiterative to anyone who has read an introductory text of Craft concepts, that same information is cast in a thoughtful light, examining why we do it, not how. All in all, this is a positive book for the beginner or intermediate mind.

Shane Parrish
Old 03-05-10   #3
feranaja

The Second Circle: Tools for the Advancing Pagan
By Venecia Rauls
Citadel Press ISBN 0806525592
238 pp, $17.95 CDN

In her excellent introduction, Rauls creates the term "cusp pagan" to describe the practitioner who is no longer new, but isn't yet experienced. The phrase describes the position of a reader who is beyond the multitude of 101 books, who feels as if no progress is being made in their spiritual studies, and who has recognized the interconnectivity between all things but isn't quite sure what to do with the knowledge. This is a state we all know well, and revisit again and again throughout our spiritual studies. Unlike Edain McCoy's Advanced Witchcraft, Rauls addresses the process of advancing, as opposed of "being advanced," and as such has created a much more valuable contribution to the shelves with more potential for application and use.
From the introduction alone it is evident that this is a serious book. In the first chapter Rauls talks about the correct way to approach a text and how to read constructively, one of the most valuable "tools" outlined in the book. She advocates the questioning of all current and future knowledge, instead of blind acceptance; the internalisation of the knowledge through practical application in useful, constructive fashion; and the connection of seemingly disparate pieces of information. Rauls points out that the texts for the advancing pagan are found in various sections of the publishing spectrum: mythology, philosophy, comparative religion, woodcraft and wildcrafting, anthropology, zoology, health, gardening, poetry, and so forth. The Second Circle makes clear that there's far from a dearth of material for the advancing pagan; on the contrary, there's an ocean of information, although not immediately obvious or found on the shelves next to the 101 books. The search for this material requires thought and application on the part of the reader.
The Second Circle offers a decent explanation of approaching the Divine, and an excellent argument that despite the knowledge contained in books, Nature is the ultimate teacher. Working through the Wheel of the Year is the most important tool a pagan has, through which a personal relationship with the natural world and cycle is forged. This interaction des not take place only once; part of the process of taking responsibility for your life involves understanding that everything changes, and a continual interaction with the natural cycles is necessary to further promote and deepen your spiritual study. Enacting the same traditions simply because they are traditions denies the process of growth and change that is encoded in the very nature of the Natural world. Tradition for the sake of tradition can often lead to an empty practice with little personal connection to the event being marked. Rauls recognizes that once the starry glow wears away, the practitioner can be frustrated and feel stonewalled and empty; this is the "cusp pagan" syndrome she refers to in her introduction. Throughout The Second Circle Rauls offers insight and clearly outlined techniques for working through this block.
The issue of specialization is given an entire chapter to itself. Common pagan paths such as healer, warrior, bard, researcher/scribe, oracle/seer, and the high priest/ess figure are each addressed and suggestions are made for further work within these paths.
All in all, The Second Circle: Tools for the Advancing Pagan contains admirable information and is a refreshingly open-eyed look at the process the advancing pagan works through. An excellent book to read whenever you feel as if you're in a spiritual slump.

Shane Parrish
Old 03-05-10   #4
feranaja

Amazon Amazon

Shane Parrish
Old 03-09-10   #5
Ailyn

Starhawk came and spoke at my campus last week, and I freakin missed it. I'm bumming right now...

Blog

Ailyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10   #6
Nuadu_of_Kildare

If youre ever considering going down an Irish witchcraft route I recommend 'Irish Witchcraft from an Irish Witch' By Lora O'Brien. Most of it is on google books and it is basic but theres a second more advanced book on the way and the author runs a Yahoo Group if you have questions on the book.

Heres a good interview with the author, I have to say I probably like the book just cos shes as surly as I am hehe
http://www.twpt.com/loraobrien.htm
Nuadu_of_Kildare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10   #7
Lightdragon
pagan

O'Brien's IWfaIW is an excellent book. there was a druid named Daven who highly recommended the book. read it over a year ago.
full review here

http://davensjournal.com/irish-witch...an-irish-witch

now the question remains should basic books on witchcraft be added to this list as well?

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10   #8
Autumn

For anyone into kitchen witchery/cottage witchery I reccommend Ellen Dugan's book Cottage Witchery. She also has several other books out. I just picked up her book Book of Witchery but haven't gotten started on it yet.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10   #9
Nacken

Basic books would include Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft, The Witch's Bible by Stewart and Janet Farrar. I tend to like the British Traditional Wiccan authors like Buckland, Stewart Farrar, Patricia Crowther, Doreen Valiente. Paul Huson's Mastering Witchcraft is similar to BTW, but I don't think he was ever initiated in any major tradition. For Irish mythology, Lady Gregory's Gods and Fighting Men. I agree with StarHawks Spiral Dance as a basic must read. But beyond it depends a lot on your interests and what tradition you wish to follow. If you lean towards Druidism, you might want to read things by Isaac Bonewits, or Brendan Myers. For shamanism, perhaps Michael Harner or Carlos Castenada. Chaos Magic has Peter Carroll, Phil Hine, A.O. Spare, Frater UD to name a few. There are many good books out there, but there are even more bad ones.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10   #10
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacken View Post
Basic books would include Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft, The Witch's Bible by Stewart and Janet Farrar. I tend to like the British Traditional Wiccan authors like Buckland, Stewart Farrar, Patricia Crowther, Doreen Valiente. Paul Huson's Mastering Witchcraft is similar to BTW, but I don't think he was ever initiated in any major tradition. For Irish mythology, Lady Gregory's Gods and Fighting Men. I agree with StarHawks Spiral Dance as a basic must read. But beyond it depends a lot on your interests and what tradition you wish to follow. If you lean towards Druidism, you might want to read things by Isaac Bonewits, or Brendan Myers. For shamanism, perhaps Michael Harner or Carlos Castenada. Chaos Magic has Peter Carroll, Phil Hine, A.O. Spare, Frater UD to name a few. There are many good books out there, but there are even more bad ones.

Aside from the CHaos books, all the ones you mentioned were what I cut my teeth on. I remember working through all of Buckland, I loved that book! And much of what i do solitary, when I work as a Witch, is Farrarian. Atone point, Goaty Glee and I were developing a tradition that used BTW formats, ritual structures etc but the content was more Feri in nature. It was quite interesting...but I digress. I haven't kep up with all the sexy new Witchcraft books out there, but I cut my teeth on the Farrars, Starhawk, Buckland, Z Budapest, and Marion Weinstein.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=1CUV...age&q=&f=false

Both Earth Magic and Positive Magic were formative books for me, I think Marion is quite underrated these days.

Shane Parrish