Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Hearthcraft and Hedgewitchery

Hearthcraft and Hedgewitchery Working with the magic and spirit of hearth, home, kith and kin..creating a magical sanctuary, including kitchenwitchery and garden magic

Old 06-30-10   #1
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default What is Green / Hedge Witchcraft pt2

What is Green / Hedge Witchcraft pt2?

Again let me preface this with the statement that all that follows is my own opinion and thoughts on this question. As such they may not align with what others would perceive Green / Hedge Witchcraft to be.

One of the critical facets of the Green Witches practice is in knowing where the energy lines are located within or upon the place they most frequent. These maybe ley lines in the traditional sense or other energy lines or vortexes that are encountered in the normal application of their daily lives. Yet knowing they are there and discovering their location are two different things.

In discovering those spots in my practice I turn to the lay of the land, the type and location of plant life and in some instances the age-old art of dowsing. Observing the lay of the land and the layout of plant life is probably the most significant means of discovering many of the energy lines. For instance where I live one look's for the Sycamore tree’s to discover the water lines. Sycamore grows where there is lots of water, frequently near rivers, lakes and ponds but also over underground water pathways. Another good source of water lines and blue energy trails is Pussy Willows and Weeping Willows.

They lay of the land also frequently reveals the location of Air energy lines and Earth energy lines. Many times one can watch the clouds or low fog and see the airlines and how they funnel around obstacles or the routes they normally take. It’s like in the mountains one often finds that air flows certain ways with the storm systems and the way it moves between the valleys and mountain peaks.

Want to discover the Earth lines watch the birds as they migrate. Many times I have discovered that the migratory paths match the magnetic flow lines and earth lines of the landscape. Sometimes one can find junctures by watching the points that the birds land in mass then watch the discovery groups that go out and test the runs to see which goes what way. Then when they take to the sky once again you’ll see them frequently circle the vortex boundaries produced by the energy lines they follow in migration.

At times one may also discover the earth lines by following the animal game trails as they cross the landscape. The tracking of those lines is also a good way to discover the location of vortexes and land spirits of great age. Like the birds at times you’ll discover that the game trails will suddenly make a circle for no reason, yet there is always a reason if one digs into it. Sometimes they will circle the boundary of a vortex, an up or down link for a ley line where it rises above the ground or drops away to do deep. Sometimes they will also trail into deep wood areas where the land feels different and you see many game trails come together and lots of animal sign and spore. Those spots usually also indicate an old earth elemental or guardian spirit. Just a warning though if you do find one of those spots be considerate for many of those old spirits do not take kindly to being disturbed or their wards being frightened.

The last part is the dowsing method. One that to some is easily to manipulate and be successful with, for others more troublesome than anything they will touch. Now the Dowser may use an Y shaped tree branch, the type may vary by location and personal preference. I frequently use Willow or Sycamore though my grandfather preferred Oak. Other items that maybe used are two equal length rods of copper tubing, two equal length sections of coat hanger I have used all three items with varying degrees of success.

Basic operation is one hold's the Y shaped branch by the tips of the Y and walks slow across the area to be dowsed. Holding the tips loosely yet firmly you watch the end of the Y and when it begins to pull down you usually have discovered whatever energy your looking for. With the Y shaped branch it is usually water it seems or what I call a blue line. With the copper rods or coat hanger the application is similar though the two rods / wires are extended and when you have crossed the two rods / wires will move towards each other, frequently crossing and the wire may actually turn downward as well. On some occasions you will see the reverse and the Y tip, the rods or the wires will bend upward to mark the location where a line rises above the ground.

So the Green Witch becomes one with the land as much as possible. The water lines and the manner of its movement across the land the blood of the area. Sometimes containing surface veins and deeper veins that are only revealed by the foliage of the landscape. Airlines that are revealed in the shifting fogs and rainstorms but also in the main pathways that one see the avian community utilizing. Earth lines that are marked by the migratory paths both upon the land and high in the sky overhead.

While the Green Witch learns the outward signs and presence of the landscape they also watch for the limnal spots to be found. Those places where two or more elements meet or spots where water rises from the depths of the ground, the cavern that marks the boundary of celestial and chthonic boundaries. That spot where the landscape is aligned in such a way that it funnels three elements together in a V shape and produces wild energy in the mixing. But that is for another writing at a later time to be provided.

Granted much easier to do in the wild areas or rural areas more so than in the cities but not impossible. The land a bit harder to read but those that live there can find the means of reading the landscape if they try.

Link to part 1

http://www.earthsongforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=2257

Last edited by MonSno_LeeDra; 06-30-10 at 05:09 PM.
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10   #2
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Default Re: What is Green / Hedge Witchcraft pt2

that's a very interesting post what do you do with these ley lines once you find them? are they like power boosts for doing energy work etc?

~Rumi

green aventurine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10   #3
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

I use a lot of it in my practice. For instance water is a primary element for me so when I want to use that energy I will either go to a place where it is on the surface or I'll find a spot high on the mountian where it is deep and use it as a gateway to the cthonic powers.

Where you have three points come together has a lot of wild energy or unfocused natural energies. As such you can tap into them and do quite a bit. I know for almost every major ceremony or ritual I do I almost always end up at a liminal spot where water / air / earth are found to merge and meet. Then I add the element of fire and spirit and it makes a really strong magical spot.
Old 06-30-10   #4
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

thanks. I must get back to my local forest again when I'm able and do some more investigations.

~Rumi

green aventurine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10   #5
Silvercloud

Thank you for this post. Its really helped me define my path. It made me start reading a book I got for my birthday but hadn't look at yet called The Way of the Green Witch by Arin Murphy-Hiscock. I actually found myself smiling and agreeing with the book. I'm only on page 38 though I think I got bogged down in the Traditional Witchcraft scene where Witchcraft doesn't have a colour. However I now see that I have been a follower of the Green path most of my life.
so thanks again
Silvercloud is offline   Reply With Quote