Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > The Gardening Forum

The Gardening Forum Indoor and outdoor gardening - vegetables, fruit, herbs, flowers - any topic related to growing, using, preserving plants

Old 04-23-13   #1
The Black Elf

Default Permaculture - revolution disguised as gardening!

Hail Bill Mollinson you Genius!
Graduating next month in the Argyll with a certificate in permaculture design.

There is nothing new under the sun.

Anyone heard about permaculture ?anyone excited about it? Has it blown anyone's sox clean off on more than one occasion?

Permaculture Rocks!

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13   #2
petrus4
Leaper

Default Re: Permaculture - revolution disguised as gardening!

When I went to NSW in 2011, it was to take a Permaculture design course, Elf. I am certified; although truthfully not as familiar with some of the material as I could be.

Permaculture is, however, an echo of the design philosophy of the UNIX computer operating system, applied to gardening. In truth, they are one and the same; it is merely the context that is different.

It is also revolution, only in the sense that its' practitioners are the genuine heralds of a new society; one neither created nor governed by violence. One that will be based on harmony, and that which works; not on the rule of the psychopaths.

In truth, I should start consulting; it is too long since I have opened the book.

Permaculture: A Designer's Handbook, by Bill Mollison.

The Art of UNIX Programming, by Eric Steven Raymond.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13   #3
The Black Elf

Once again you stand out Petrus!

Permaculture (permanent agriculture) is the conscious design and maintenance of agriculturally productive ecosystems which have the diversity, stability, and resilience of natural ecosystems. It is the harmonious integration of landscape and people providing their food, energy, shelter, and other material and non-material needs in a sustainable way. Without permanent agriculture there is no possibility of a stable social order. Permaculture design is a system of assembling conceptual, material, and strategic components in a pattern which functions to benefit life in all its forms. The philosophy behind permaculture is one of working with, rather than against, nature; of protracted and thoughtful observation rather than protracted and thoughtless action; of looking at systems in all their functions rather than asking only one yield of them; and of allowing systems to demonstrate their own evolutions.

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

Old 04-23-13   #4
The Black Elf

Central to permaculture are the three ethics

The ethics earth care, people care and fair share form the foundation for permaculture design and are also found in most traditional societies.
Ethics are culturally evolved mechanisms that regulate self-interest, giving us a better understanding of good and bad outcomes. The greater the power of humans, the more critical ethics become for long-term cultural and biological survival.

Permaculture ethics are distilled from research into community ethics, learning from cultures that have existed in relative balance with their environment for much longer than more recent civilisations. This does not mean that we should ignore the great teachings of modern times, but in the transition to a sustainable future, we need to consider values and concepts outside the current social norm.

Old 04-23-13   #5
hopefuldreamer

Thumbs up Re: Permaculture - revolution disguised as gardening!

I wish I could belong to a community that takes care of the land that way. When we care for the land, it takes care of us. When we have respect, people respect us. If I could be doing anything I want, I'd be living in a place with people who live with the land. The idea of permaculture is one I read about awhile ago but forgot what it was, though I carry a good feeling about it. I hadn't thought of it in awhile or I woulda looked it up by now to refresh my memory. I'm glad to see it discussed here so I can remember what it is exactly.

To all who are able and willing to do this, I give you a BIG thumbs up! Thank You!

PTSD: too many suffer in silence. It's NOT our fault!
http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/blog.php?cp=2
We need more Love in the world.
Love Heals. Blessed Be.
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13   #6
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
To all who are able and willing to do this, I give you a BIG thumbs up! Thank You!
Physically speaking, I'm not farming material, dreamer, and never will be. You don't need to be in order to help, though. Permaculture is a way of thinking and being, even more than a way of doing things. So if you want, you can still read the manual, and introduce other people to the ideas; or incorporate whatever elements of it that you can into whatever you normally do.

There are infinite possibilities.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13   #7
The Black Elf

The zen thing gives away crystal atlantian roots,Petrus? Please start another thread to keep this on topic.
My experience of surveying,assessing and designing in accordance with the principles and ethics of permaculture have unlocked keys to ancient systems hidden for ages.
We work totally with nature,never against it.
If anyone is inspired by this thread already, they have seen or heard nothing yet!

Everyone has the power to change things,I hope to empower such individuals in this thread!
Everything in permaculture is rooted deeply in all ancient civilisations,known or unknown, the climate was different but the pattern remains the same.

I would very much like to start with the ethics and principals,then go on to techniques which dovetail so beautifully with freemasonry (my initial route) and and are stamped indelibly on all ancient cultures.

Great Love,

TBE

Old 04-24-13   #8
The Black Elf

Somewhat Ironically I intend to visit the Midwest of the USA to permaculturally design in order to avoid drought. I say ironically as in Glasgow as my designs are to avoid the regilar flooding in surrounding areas. Both problems have the same solution,the land must retain its own water avoids drought on the one hand and floods upon the other.
Well met HD!

Old 04-24-13   #9
The Black Elf

http://permacultureprinciples.com/ethics/

All 12 principles of permaculture