Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > Runes

Runes Using the runes as a divinatory tool

Old 07-20-14   #1
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Exclamation Are Reading Runes an Aryan Activity?

Okay everyone... I need some opinions. I just discovered something really disturbing. I don't like to include my personal life in posts (at least not anymore, but a couple of introductory details to this post/inquiry are necessary). My fiancé was in jail for the last four months - because people will be curious, it was because he was searched by the police and had a ninja star on him, which, in California is considered possession of a deadly weapon, which is a felony. All of this occurred long before I knew him and the only point here is that he was in jail serving a sentence for owning a ninja star and just got out - and for the record as you read further down, no he is not Aryan or involved in any gangs... He's a wire-wrapping, tree-hugging, hippie that's half Native American and idiotically bought a ninja star from a flea market one day three years ago.

Anyway, while he was in there, he was around a lot of Aryans - the criminal type; to the point that he asked to be rehoused. At one point, he told me a cell mate was teaching him to read runes. I brushed it off as some uneducated person amusing themselves with something they couldn't possibly understand. Now that my fiancé is out of jail, I saw a few papers he had that this guy gave him. The first one was of all the runes... They were all titled correctly in Elder Futhark and Futhorc/Furtharc. There were designs of bind runes and other stuff that I'd consider complex in terms of the study of runes. I was blown away at first that some random, repeat offender with a shaved head was so educated in this subject. Perhaps there's a lesson there for myself though - don't judge people in their education, experience or value based on whether or not they've had criminal law run-ins, i.e. don't judge others. Anyway...

Then today, he was going through his stuff and showed me these papers that someone gave him who was Aryan. They were a print out about twenty pages long and had this horrible list of these precepts for the Aryan Nation - racist, sexist, homophobic... It was awful. And then at the bottom, the person had signed these papers or forms or whatever they're supposed to be with an Asatru sign, and the name of a gang written in runes, which translated to "Hooligans," using Hagal, Othel, Othel, Lagaz, Isa, Ansuz, and Sigel.

I was SO angry... I felt like our (our = as in, us, as a peaceful, Pagan people in the sense of an umbrella term) spirituality has been... Desecrated! They're using sacred symbols to write horrendous things in code, and they're using our symbols of the Triple Goddess as the symbol for a violent, hateful, racially-motivated group of tyrannical imbeciles!

Now I feel like... Should I even use runes anymore? I use them a lot for divination. And, I know that anyone can turn a good thing into something evil and ruin it for everyone, but, are these things now ruined? What if using the runes now embodies some sort of evil egregore? I feel like using them is maybe, like, consorting or something. Shouldn't we refuse to use or acknowledge anything that evil people use for evil? Like, we wouldn't use the Swastika to represent Native American peace anymore... But on the other hand, Christians who are good people remain Christians despite the horrors in which the way the sign of the cross has been twisted and intended to represent distorted hate and sick perceptions...

I'm not stating an opinion on this - about whether it's ignorant of a huge, social problem to acknowledge and use runes... I'm just confused. I don't know what to think. I never really knew much about this Aryan stuff before but I'm completely and utterly mentally and emotionally disturbed right now and totally confused about whether the parts of my practice that are Asatru and involve the runes are right or wrong ...? Am I passively and unconsciously supporting something evil? And what does American culture think? If people knew I used runes, would they think I'm racist? I'm sorry, this is all so overwhelming.

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
Hibiscus Moon Crystal Academy Website Alumni Page
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©
CrystalHealingCare@outlook.com
www.CrystalHealingCare.com

Facebook:Facebook.com/CrystalHealingCare
Twitter:Twitter.com/CrystalHCareCCH
Instagram: Instagram.com/CrystalHealingCare
LadyOfTheTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14   #2
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Default Re: Are Reading Runes an Aryan Activity?

I'd say if you didn't know about the 'Aryan' connection, your study of the runes has most likely been superficial and narrow. No offense, I'm sure you're up on all the New Age interpretations, but ever since Guido von List and the 'Armanen' rune series, the runes have been caught up in extremist Nazi symbolism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_i..._Schutzstaffel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_symbolism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armanen_Runes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_von_List

Should you stop using the runes? Of course not, not if you're called to them and the energies/wisdom they connect you to. However, if you're unable to disconnect yourself from that negative misappropriation, then you should -- any fear you have will be transferred/sublimated through your work with them.

Also, 'American Culture' DOESN'T think. Some people will think you're a white supremacist, yes, but not many, and only those who are uneducated and reactionary. Let them think what they want. If someone confronts you directly, simply inform them of the histories I've linked to above, tell them you hail from another lineage much older and more profound, and then BE connected to that truth. You'll be fine.

But yes, it does suck.
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14   #3
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Well, Leben, I did know that there was a connection there. I don't think my study of the runes is lacking, honestly, it's just that I'd never read any Aryan literature until now. So, seeing the material for the first time is what was so disturbing to me. I had brushed off the connection before because I didn't think it mattered, but that's because I didn't realize what I was saying "doesn't matter." Now that I know what it is... I guess I just feel disgusted that some people can believe such animalistic things - literally. They think in Darwinian, survival of the fittest type stuff. I was a physical anthropology major, so to me, to think of humans as animals, in the same way we study, say, australopithecus for example, is just horrifying.

As for my experience with the runes... They do speak to me and I find more wisdom and better divination in them than in the tarot and generalized oracle cards, most of the time. I want to keep using them, and I think once I can shed this sense of shock, that it won't be such a huge deal. It was just, well, shocking, that's all. Like the feeling you had when someone first showed you pictures of concentration camps - you just can't comprehend how humans can hate one another so much. EDIT: And how a cult can be created around such things, and then actually gather millions of followers!

EDIT: Thanks for the links. I'm reading them right now.

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 07-20-14   #4
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

I think it's dangerous that these racist people inscribe such powerful symbols... They may not realize that they're dabbling with things that have strong energy. Oh yeah, is the Ogham connected to cults, too?

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 07-20-14   #5
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Oh, humans can hate and hate and hate a LOT. As much as they can love, which is also a lot. People will always be attracted to the runes for their innate POWER, be that to heal or to kill. It's the same with the swastika -- a symbol of healing and life and prosperity on the one hand, and a symbol of death and control and insanity on the other. But it shouldn't be shocking to you that there are people out there ACTIVELY seeking to use ancient and profound knowledge in an evil and 'desecrated' way. Even while we sleep, they are working.
Old 07-20-14   #6
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

the ogham not as much as the runes, because they are lacking the Armanen connection. Maybe you'd find some Irish gangsters or IRA, but I doubt it.
Old 07-20-14   #7
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Reading these links, I realize that my education in the oracular meanings of the runes isn't lacking, it's my education in world history that's lacking :-/

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 07-20-14   #8
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

yeah, that's all I meant.
Old 07-20-14   #9
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leben View Post
But it shouldn't be shocking to you that there are people out there ACTIVELY seeking to use ancient and profound knowledge in an evil and 'desecrated' way. Even while we sleep, they are working.
I'm one of those types with a personality that sees the good in everyone. Maybe it's part of being a Sagittarius, maybe it's ignorance, or maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I just don't usually think in that way... "This is SO powerful. It's helping in my life - to heal and balance. But I wonder if there are people out there using this to try and control the world?" <-- That's the part that's not natural to my inner stream of thought.

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 07-20-14   #10
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Yes, maybe it is a Sag thing -- reminds me of my ex, always seeing the good in everyone even to her own detriment. All the lousy, no-good, self-serving bastards that have taken advantage of her kindness and naivety ...

I don't think you have to include it in all your thought processes, but it should always be there as a part of your general knowledge of the world. If people CAN do it, they most probably WILL.