Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Hearthcraft and Hedgewitchery

Hearthcraft and Hedgewitchery Working with the magic and spirit of hearth, home, kith and kin..creating a magical sanctuary, including kitchenwitchery and garden magic

Old 04-05-10   #1
The_Theologist

Default What is a Hedgewitch?

okay okay I'm sure this is going to get a lot of people looking at me like I'm a complete idiot, but I honestly don't know what entails a hedgewitch, and i would like to know what the hedgewitches here think it means and what they believe as a student of religion i think a definition should start with there own definition and work from there.

So can anyone enlighten me?
The_Theologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10   #2
Broomflower

Location: Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Default Re: What is a Hedgewitch?

The defining practice of a hedgewitch, that differentiates us from green or kitchen witches, is the practice of "riding the hedge". The "hedge" refers to a boundary, in this case, the boundary between worlds. It is referring to a shamanic practice, often but not necessarily involving substances for consciousness alteration, ranging from teas and wines to more potent substances, usually naturally derived. Herbalism, especially wild-crafting, healing, and simple, practical, personal and often home-oriented magics are also practiced, but hedge-riding is what defines a hedgewitch.

Broomflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10   #3
The_Theologist

Okay so its like a localized Shaman, but with out the tie to a specific community? What are Green or Kitchen witches?
Old 04-05-10   #4
Broomflower

Please forgive this, but...well-marketed. At least nowadays. Same alas with hedgewitchery, now that certain "pop" Wiccan authors have jumped onto the bandwagon. They all seem to be lumped in together and becoming The Latest Cool Witchy Thing. *winces*

They do have similarities, acceptance and often even preference for Solitary practice, simpler folk magicks as opposed to the quabalah-derived and Golden Dawn-influenced ceremonial magick, and a focus on closeness to nature, the hearth, home, and daily life.

In a nutshell, Green magick to the best of my knowledge is based off the works of Ann Moura. Lots of herb and plant based work, often gardeners. A kitchen witch uses food, beverages and cooking as the medium of his or her craft, and a cottage witch is similar, with the primary focus on the home.

All very nice, practical crafts to grow through. However, maybe I'm a grump, but I'm of the opinion that if people feel they have to nit-pick and define their craft so thoroughly so they can know what to call themselves, then it may be a sign their attention isn't fully on practicing it, no matter what name it goes by.

Old 04-05-10   #5
AutumnFire

I posted this on another thread but it seems appropriate here... this is one of the best definitions of Hedgewitchery I've ever read:
http://walkingthehedge.net/wildgeekh...tchy&Itemid=93
Old 04-06-10   #6
The_Theologist

Wow thanks thats very good to know, thank you both for your help!
May your Gods bless and keep you
Old 04-06-10   #7
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

I've placed this on the board before but think it fits here. What I call Greenwitchcraft some call Hedgewitch so it might give you another slant to look at.

.................................................. ............

What is Green Witchcraft?
First let me preface this with the statement that all that follows is my own opinion and thoughts on this question. As such they may not align with what others would perceive Green Witchcraft to be.

I think that Green Witchcraft is similar to Shamanism in a number of ways. While the two have similar type concepts I think there is enough difference to make them separate. I find that the Green Witch is closer aligned to the physical aspects of mother earth than any other Witch is, granted many Witches respect the earth and even follow some green type thoughts but they don’t quite reach the same depth.

I believe that the green witch looks to the deeper association with the Earth. While the Shaman may journey to other planes of existence, the Green Witch journeys within the physical realm. In the learning of their path, the Green Witch comes to understand the concept of time, the cycle of life and interaction of herbivores, carnivores and even omnivores. They learn the teachings of the various groups of people that live upon the earth and the means of working with and calling upon them.

They travel upon the face of the earth and view the world through green eyes if you will. He/she sees the Mighty Oak but sees beyond just its physical appearance. To the typical viewer the oak is a majestic tree the Green Witch sees the life cycle that is tied to it. They see the small acorn as not only a seed to the future but a personification of the life cycle itself.

They see that for the 100’s of acorns that drop only a few shall ever be given the chance to grow to the might oak. Many will gain a small foothold of life only to have it snuffed out in any number of ways. They see the animals of the forest that rely upon the oak for food and understand that some of them will also die upon the realm but that enough will survive to ensure the continuation of their species. They will see both life and death displayed for all to see if they but open their eyes. They also know the delicate balance that exists and the repercussions should it be upset.

They look upon the land and see not only what was but things that can come again. They look to the creek that runs shallow and stagnate and see its once former power. They see the might power that lies dormant within the small stagnate pools but can feel the energy that can swell at a moments notice when the elements come together.

They see the combination of elements and how they support and strengthen each other. They look upon the flame and know that it is the fire that burns within, it is the source of spirit that motivates them. But they also know it is a fire that can not only inspire but also consume if not balanced with the other elements. They know a fire can burn and forge a new life from the ash or simply consume its host and leave just a burnt out Caracas.

Within the confines of the elements they see every aspect of man. The fire that encourages us and drives us forward, but can consume at a moments notice or weakness. They see the air that fills our bodies with life and touches the face of all things. From Earth comes the strength of our bodies and the bones upon which we are built. From water comes the very blood and liquid that gives us life.

Not only do they recognize the internal aspects but also recognize the external effects. They feel the pull of the planets and moon upon the very liquids that pump through their bodies. They see the strength of the earth within their bodies but also see the decay that starts from the moment of inception. They know the in-balance facets of the elements. They see the desert that is left when Fire and Earth are out of balance. They see the mist and steam when Fire and Water are out of balance. They see and fill the destruction that occurs when earth and water are out of balance. They acknowledge and see the immediate destruction that occurs from the raging river and see the minute destruction that is caused by the gentle touch of time and wind upon the face of the mighty mountain.

Like Shaman they also work with the Spirits and protectors of a given area. They know the power runs and Lay lines for an area they work with. Within the confines of their realm the power vortex are known and the association of certain vortex’s to specific guardians are recorded and studied. They see both the positive and negative runs as facets of nature neither one good or bad simply in opposition or balance.

Similar to the Shaman they also learn from the creatures of the wild. They see teachers in everything and learn to look for the truth from animal teachings. They also recognize that just to see a creature does not mean there is a lesson to be learnt from it. They also recognize and acknowledge the different type of people that live upon the earth. They know the green people, the stone people, the winged people, the two legged, the four legged and all that fall in-between.

The Green Witch may have similar abilities as those of a Hedge Witch with their knowledge of herbs and such. However, that knowledge is not the center of their truth or the main lesson they focus on. Instead they focus upon the energy that travels through the ground and in the air about them. They see and learn to harness and focus the abundant energies that ripple across the face of the planet. They see both the creative and destructive powers unleashed by the earth through volcanoes or earthquakes. Yet they also see the force and energy contained within the storm and lightning, the breath of the wind, the rivers and waters, and the various guardians of place.

The Green Witch knows of the hydraulic cycle of the earth. He/She may not know the specific technical terms of the cycle but have an understanding of the relationship of weather and the movement of water. There will be an understanding of the Plate tectonics theory and the movement of the rock of the earth. They will see the long-term birth and death of the rock people, though they are on a different time line than the earth. They may feel the association of their time line or even understand the illusion of strength that comes with it.

This is just a small aspect of what I think along these lines. I will let you digest this and if you desire I can continue at a latter time.

Again these are MY thoughts and opinions on this.
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10   #8
The_Theologist

is there much difference between a Green Witch and a Druid?
Old 04-06-10   #9
Broomflower

Yes, quite. Druidry is something else entirely.

Old 04-06-10   #10
The_Theologist

shall i post the "Whats a druid?" question in another forum or keep my curiosities to my self for the moment haha