Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > Gender and Identity

Gender and Identity Forum for the discussion of gender and sexuality and how it factors into identity

Old 05-01-11   #1
PrincessKLS

Default Do you hate your own gender?

As a woman, I sometimes find it difficult to relate to other women. I definitely identify as a woman and wouldn't want to be male at all. However, I sometimes feel when women communicate with each other, we get really catty and put each other down.

I chose to put this in a more neutral area of Gender Identity because I figure men and 3rd gender indivisual also have same-sex relationship issue unique to them.
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11   #2
petrus4
Leaper

Default Re: Do you hate your own gender?

I'm trying to learn not to hate anyone, Princess.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11   #3
Nightshade_Blooms
Wishing

Both genders have their ups and downs.

I don't hate my gender, but it can be a pain. Our emotional selves, menstral cycles, estrogen, useless drama, etc. I think that there are more fake girls out there than guys, truthfully. I think we probably are more backstabbing to 'friends' too, as you said about cattiness. One girl I sometimes like to be around, usually tolerate and sometimes can't stand. My 'friendship' to her is partially faked, because I honestly though I was going to punch her in gym class the other day.

Now days, it seems guys are under more pressure to be 'cool' and not really so in touch with their emotional selves. I also heard a statistic that 1 in 9 girls will cheat on a guy in a relationship, but guys odds of cheating are 1 in 4. I can't say a whole lot about guys and their gender issues because I have ovaries, not a prostate.
Old 05-01-11   #4
PrincessKLS

Sometimes I think if there were more men in my family, I'd probably not hate my gender so much. Much of my hatred I feel comes from the mostly estrogen family and feeling like they all took a powertrip on me basically.
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11   #5
Seraphyna
Resident Polywere

I wouldn't say I hate other women, but I often get along better with men.

"You do not have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body."-C.S. Lewis
"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain."-Blue Oyster Cult
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
Seraphyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11   #6
Loh

I personally identify as gender-neutral, myself, and I've been fortunate enough to experience the pros and cons of friendships with both genders. Physically, however, I would likely be happier without those common "female attributes," but I feel no direct disdain for them either. (Though, I once did. Acceptance was a gradual experience.)

So, I suppose I've dodged this issue almost entirely. ^^;
Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11   #7
Myliobatis
seeking

Something to keep in mind, Princess, is that "cattiness" and other nasty attitudes are not exclusively, or even commonly, part of being female. They are not. Males can be just as nasty, just as subversive, just as two-faced. The differences with regards to that aspect are just media portrayal.

I strongly identify as female. I am happy as a female. But I do not identify with "cattiness" or anything else that magazines such as Cosmo would have you believe was the end-all, be-all of femininity. I've known just as many "bitchy" men as women, and let me tell you, the "bitchy" men I've seen are just as nasty and two-faced as the women... but people simply don't usually apply terms such as "bitchy" and "catty" to male actions.

mundus vult decipi

"...being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you, and if you do nothing, they lose hope.
You have to use a light touch ... When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

God from Futurama
Myliobatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11   #8
feranaja

No, I actually really like women and men equally, depending on their behaviour. I've seen horrible behaviour in both sexes - and great people as well. I couldn't really take out half the human race in one fell swoop, but overall, I think I expect more of women which is something I have to work on. But hate my own gender? Strikes me as a bit ridiculous, sorry.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11   #9
RoseRed
Christian Witch

I guess it should read 'Do you hate people OF your own gender?' When I first read the title I was really wondering if you were speaking of hating that you're a girl.

I can't say that I hate woman but for the most part- I don't like them very much. I have no tolerance for catty bullshit, lives that revolve around shopping, gossip and backstabbing. The women that I am friends with feel the same way.

Quote:
Sometimes I think if there were more men in my family, I'd probably not hate my gender so much. Much of my hatred I feel comes from the mostly estrogen family and feeling like they all took a powertrip on me basically.
Family is family - they mostly drive us nuts - sometimes I think it's part of the job description. Maybe you're too close to the situation (being right in the middle of it). I think hating an entire gender (which happens to be your own) because you don't like the women in your family is a little much.

Last edited by RoseRed; 05-02-11 at 09:00 AM.
RoseRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11   #10
oonagh sidhe

hmmm...well i love being a woman, but i don't find either gender more easy to deal with. it's hard dealing with people, period <g>.
oonagh sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote