Go Back   EarthSong Forums > General Occult > General Occult

General Occult For general occult topics, anything from crop circles to UFOs, whatever doesn't fit elsewhere

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
feranaja

Default Coping with Loss/Rituals for the Dead

Hi group, whoever may be still dropping by, if anyone.

If you follow me on FB, you will know that two weeks ago tonight I lost my anam cara, my deepest friend and companion, yes a dog, but no less my most cherished friend. We walked 14 1/2 powerful, magical years together and then, as if in the blink of an eye, he was gone. I am left in pain, disoriented (I built my life around him) and sick with grief. I am asking here, how you personally honour your dead, ritually, magically. I need some help and input, as I said to MonSno in PM over at FB, I'm so exhausted from grief and the buildup - weeks/months before Danny passed, I really cannot think well anymore.

I need input please.

As far as the mundane grieving process goes, I think I am doing the "right things"...resting as I can, using distraction, letting myself cry as I need to, journalling, talking to Dan, putting together a memorial table for him - I have books, CDs, and a good base of support on FB.

But I feel lost and fractured, as if part of my soul is gone.
Can you share what you do in a case like this - ritually, magically, spiritually? I am...paralyzed right now.

In case anyone is here. I need help.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: Coping with Loss/Rituals for the Dead

Will come back with more later but at least look at this old thread for some ideas. http://www.earthsongforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=12312
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
feranaja

Thank you- that is a wonderful ritual and I plan to develop it for Danny - will look forward to more ideas.

Shane Parrish
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Fera,

Please don't think me uncaring but what have you done with Danny's body?

The reason I ask is our dogs are buried in our yard and we frequently go out and speak to them. Each has a stone marking their grave and when they were buried the family gathered around and said their farewell's and placed whatever they wanted in the grave. Each was wrapped in a sheet and the body covered in stone to ensure nothing could disturb the ground even as we covered them with dirt. Then our grandchildren will go out and talk to them as the mood takes them. All these dogs are Mother, daughters and son. Father and brother are on my mantle.

The only exception has been two of our dogs who died before we got this place and we had cremated and we have their ashes. Both of those dogs their ashes sit on the mantle on either side of my statue of Artemis. A garland of flowers draped over Artemis' shoulders and their ashes. When I die both will be interned with me as they were pretty much my dogs. The dogs on the mantle are father and son.

In each instance we have the dogs remains here with us. So its easy for us to hold rites for them and also allow the family to say their goodbyes and also sort of be spirit keepers for them as well.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
Fera,

Please don't think me uncaring but what have you done with Danny's body?

The reason I ask is our dogs are buried in our yard and we frequently go out and speak to them. Each has a stone marking their grave and when they were buried the family gathered around and said their farewell's and placed whatever they wanted in the grave. Each was wrapped in a sheet and the body covered in stone to ensure nothing could disturb the ground even as we covered them with dirt. Then our grandchildren will go out and talk to them as the mood takes them. All these dogs are Mother, daughters and son. Father and brother are on my mantle.

The only exception has been two of our dogs who died before we got this place and we had cremated and we have their ashes. Both of those dogs their ashes sit on the mantle on either side of my statue of Artemis. A garland of flowers draped over Artemis' shoulders and their ashes. When I die both will be interned with me as they were pretty much my dogs. The dogs on the mantle are father and son.

In each instance we have the dogs remains here with us. So its easy for us to hold rites for them and also allow the family to say their goodbyes and also sort of be spirit keepers for them as well.

Oh, lovely things you have done MonSno...I would bury Dan in the yard, under my rose bush likely, except for the fact we rent here and I can't bear the thought of moving away and leaving his bones behind. So right now he is still in the freezer I bought for this day, awaiting cremation (I need to find the strength to do it, soon). wrapped in the blanket he loved to sleep on, and a fuzzy sweater of mine. I will keep his ashes with me, like Luke and Lila before him, and yes have them scattered or intered with me when I pass too.

Shane Parrish