Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > Herbalism

Herbalism Traditional and/or folk medicine practice based on the use of plants and plant extracts

Old 02-06-14   #1
DonelleBeira

Default Math question in making glycerites

Math is NOT my strong suit, ok...it's not even a suit I possess.

I want my glycerites to have a 75% glycerite base, which means using 80% glycerite in the solution since 5% of that glycerite is already water. I will add either more water or water and alcohol to make the 100%. Working backwards - knowing how much finished product I need (glycerite, water, and alcohol) I can do BUT I cannot figure out how to work from the other direction.

I have about 11 oz of glycerite and I want to use all of this amount. How do I calculate how much water, or water and alcohol, to add to that 11 oz so that I end up with 75% glycerite? I want to add 10% water and 10% alcohol, which will mean the finished product has 75% glycerite, 15% water and 10% alcohol. Would that mean I add 1.1 oz water and 1.1 oz alcohol?

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14   #2
BigAl
Eclectic

Default Re: Math question in making glycerites

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonelleBeira View Post
Math is NOT my strong suit, ok...it's not even a suit I possess.

I want my glycerites to have a 75% glycerite base, which means using 80% glycerite in the solution since 5% of that glycerite is already water. I will add either more water or water and alcohol to make the 100%. Working backwards - knowing how much finished product I need (glycerite, water, and alcohol) I can do BUT I cannot figure out how to work from the other direction.

I have about 11 oz of glycerite and I want to use all of this amount. How do I calculate how much water, or water and alcohol, to add to that 11 oz so that I end up with 75% glycerite? I want to add 10% water and 10% alcohol, which will mean the finished product has 75% glycerite, 15% water and 10% alcohol. Would that mean I add 1.1 oz water and 1.1 oz alcohol?
Depends on whether you are working by weight or by fluid measure, Donelle.

11oz (fluid measure) of glycerite is same volume as 11oz (fluid measure) of water or alcohol. Your calculation in this case, retains %age by volume.

11oz (weight) of glycerite is less volume than 11oz (weight) water or alcohol. Your calculation in this case, retains %age by chemical composition, but would mean a reduced %age by volume of glycerite.

Hope that hasn't just muddied the waters... :/
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14   #3
petrus4
Leaper

Default Re: Math question in making glycerites

I screwed that earlier guess up. I now have no idea. Sorry.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote