Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > Herbalism

Herbalism Traditional and/or folk medicine practice based on the use of plants and plant extracts

Old 08-25-11   #1
DrumWolf
Dark Green Atheist

Default Extracting essential oils.

Anyone have any successful 'kitchen' methods for extracting oils from leaves? I have lots of geranium plants and would like to use some of them for oil extraction.
Thanks.
DrumWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12   #2
Jatismara

Default Re: Extracting essential oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWolf View Post
Anyone have any successful 'kitchen' methods for extracting oils from leaves? I have lots of geranium plants and would like to use some of them for oil extraction.
Thanks.
If you mean extraction of essential oils (such as by fractional distillation), this is fairly advanced and dangerous technique, requiring specialized (i.e. expensive) equipment. If you want to try, look for contacts in the Spagyric field that might be willing to mentor you. Trying to teach yourself such stuff is very risky business!
Jatismara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-12   #3
feranaja

wow, an old thread I must've missed, hhmm.

DW - I also don't know many herbalists who extract their own EOs - I certainly don't, and I make rosewater and pastilles and electuaries and elixirs and balms and salves and tinctures of all description, bolus' and oxymels and kyphi and much more. the one time I made rose petal oil (not an EO, I men nan oil maceration using the enfleruage method) I obtained some deeply healing magic for use in slave and magical oils (anointing) but it was a lot of work, and not something I'm going to do large scale (although I may try a couple of other flowers this year, those rose petals are such great medicine I feel badly using so many for oils alone, you know? right now I only have two bushes - albeit BIG and generous ones).

What did you want the EO for? And do you mean leaves, or flowers? If you mean extracting constituents into oil for use in salve, sure, that's easily done- not the same as extracting essential oil, however..
Let me know what you're thinking and perhaps I can help a bit more.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12   #4
DrumWolf
Dark Green Atheist

Thanks for the above two responses, Jatismara and fera.
I'm looking to extract the pure oil from the leaves, if possible (for use in oil burners). As a science teacher, I can get my hands on various bits of kit from the Chemistry dept at school (beakers, distillation tubes, bunsen burners etc), but I wondered if anyone had done this themselves before.
Old 04-23-12   #5
Floux
idiot in residence

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Essential-Oils
"The white, twisted clouds and the endless shades of blue in the ocean, make the hum of the spacecraft systems, the radio chatter, even your own breathing disappear. There is no wind or cold or snow to tell you that you are connected to Earth. You have an almost dispassionate - remote, Olympian - and yet so moving that you can hardly believe how emotionally attached you are to those rough patterns shifting steadily below."
Thomas Stafford, American astronaut
Floux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12   #6
DrumWolf
Dark Green Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floux View Post
Thanks, Floux. That's pretty much what I was looking for.

Interestingly, I can also turn all of the bits of equipment into a still and extract virtually pure alcohol from wine.....

10 year-old Glen Drumwolf, anyone?
Old 04-24-12   #7
Floux
idiot in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWolf View Post

10 year-old Glen Drumwolf, anyone?
Why not. Got only kidney left.
"The white, twisted clouds and the endless shades of blue in the ocean, make the hum of the spacecraft systems, the radio chatter, even your own breathing disappear. There is no wind or cold or snow to tell you that you are connected to Earth. You have an almost dispassionate - remote, Olympian - and yet so moving that you can hardly believe how emotionally attached you are to those rough patterns shifting steadily below."
Thomas Stafford, American astronaut
Floux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-13   #8
Paxton22

If you mean removal of important sebum (such as by fraxel distillation), this is pretty innovative and risky strategy, demanding specific (i.e. expensive) devices. If you want to try, look for connections in the Spagyric area that might be willing to tutor you. Trying to educate yourself such things is very risky business!
Old 07-23-13   #9
Vindictus
Serpent King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatismara View Post
If you mean extraction of essential oils (such as by fractional distillation), this is fairly advanced and dangerous technique, requiring specialized (i.e. expensive) equipment. If you want to try, look for contacts in the Spagyric field that might be willing to mentor you. Trying to teach yourself such stuff is very risky business!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton22 View Post
If you mean removal of important sebum (such as by fraxel distillation), this is pretty innovative and risky strategy, demanding specific (i.e. expensive) devices. If you want to try, look for connections in the Spagyric area that might be willing to tutor you. Trying to educate yourself such things is very risky business!
Huh. Is it just me, or is this almost exactly word-for-word identical?

Also, last I checked distilation is pretty easy. Although I suppose a more high tech device that automates the process, or even a full chemistry set to work with, may be a somewhat pricy investment.

Has a Workout Blog now.
Vindictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-13   #10
HRH
Just me

I was wondering if anyone else noticed, but I cry troll pretty easily, so I was keeping my mouth shut.
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote