Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Christianity

Christianity Discussion of all aspects of Christianity, belief, theology and practise.

Old 06-11-10   #1
David_2010

Default 'Magical Christianity' by Coleston Brown

I posted this on another forum, but, hopefully, it might get more replies here.

Recently, I finished reading
'Magical Christianity' by Coleston Brown"><font color='Magical Christianity' by Coleston Brown" /> 'Magical Christianity' by Coleston Brown">'Magical Christianity' by Coleston Brown
, and, even though I'm not Christian, I think it is a really good book, and, it can be worked through, even by non-Christians (and, according to the author, it apparantly is used by non-Christians), but, obvously, it can definitely be used by Christians (or, at least, those open to the ideas in the book, the more Fundamentalist branches would probably burn it!), and, apparantly, even some clerics in religious organizations are using the material. It, basically, shows how Christianity is, or was, a Magical religion (Magical in the sense of leading to a transformation, and according to certain authors, that's the true type of magic, not the development of various powers, although, that does also happen), if you work through it, you'll pick up various inner plane contacts, and it also has various exercises, meditations and visualizations to perform at the end of each chapter, which seem very cool, although I haven't tried them yet.

Anyway, if you're a Christian Witch, or Christo-Wiccan, or just a Christian who practices magic, or even a Pagan or Wiccan who's open to it, I'd give the book a go.

BTW, his site is here:

http://www.magicalways.com/

Even if it's not for you, you may not look at the Christian Mythos in the same way again.

Hope this helps some of you .

If you've read it, what did you think of it, and, if you haven't read it, what do you think by the description of it?.
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10   #2
Frater SCS

Default Re: 'Magical Christianity' by Coleston Brown

Sorry to bump an old post, but I wanted to say thank you for the book suggestion. I'll definitely check it out.

Oddly enough, my interest in magic and the occult has led me back to christianity, after a fashion. I was recently baptized into a Gnostic church. It dovetails nicely with the beliefs and worldview I've developed over the years, and the people I've been working with approach the Christian paradigm as more of a system-outlook than as a dogmatic statement about "the truth".

I'll order this, and post again after I've read it-maybe we can get a discussion going.
Old 10-18-10   #3
David_2010

No problem about bumping the thread, I'm glad you found it useful, and I hope you do like the book, I think it is quite good.

BTW, I haven't read it, but, I've heard great things about
'Patterns in Magical Christianity' by Nicholas Whitehead 'Patterns in Magical Christianity' by Nicholas Whitehead
, I really want to get it. I'm not actually Christian, but, I am quite interested in the Christian Tradition (as well as others), if that makes sense.
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10   #4
petrus4
Leaper

Yes, the Essenes were magicians. Early Christians apparently used to do soul retrieval work, among other things, as well. Scary, eh?
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10   #5
ffetcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
Early Christians apparently used to do soul retrieval work, among other things, as well. Scary, eh?
I've done a bit of work on Marie of Oignies, and other mystic writers of her period, and, allowing for the fact that people around then genuinely thought 'the end of days' and the final battle battle between good and evil was overdue, which skews the imagery somewhat, many of the descriptions look to me exactly like what we'd now call shamanism, including soul retrieval. Marie was famous for battling demons and finding demons masquerading as angels.

I'll give both books a look. Thanks.

EDIT: since I just tripped over the thing on the way out of the study, there's also "The Lost Magic of Christianity" by Michael Poynder. It has an agenda in being 'anti-patriarchal', and spends a lot of time on aspects of sacred geometry that I don't find convincing, but there are some nuggets in there. No exercises, though, you have to come up with them for yourself.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)

Last edited by ffetcher; 10-20-10 at 04:13 AM.
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10   #6
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_2010 View Post
No problem about bumping the thread, I'm glad you found it useful, and I hope you do like the book, I think it is quite good.

BTW, I haven't read it, but, I've heard great things about 'Patterns in Magical Christianity' by Nicholas Whitehead, I really want to get it. I'm not actually Christian, but, I am quite interested in the Christian Tradition (as well as others), if that makes sense.
Amazon Amazon

if you check out the website, its actually the same author....

the classic in this veign is probably old Basil's:

Experience of the Inner Worlds"><font color=Experience of the Inner Worlds" /> Experience of the Inner Worlds">Experience of the Inner Worlds

which appears to be out of print????
Which is kind of odd...but amazon does tend to say things are out of print, when they are not!

"He," I answered, "who loves to contemplate truth…who is able to arrive at whatever remains ever constant. He who is capable of seeing the Whole is a philosopher; he who is not, is not."

Plato (Republic, V, 475; VI, 481-485)

mr cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10   #7
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
Yes, the Essenes were magicians. Early Christians apparently used to do soul retrieval work, among other things, as well. Scary, eh?
there has been so much rubbish written about the essenes...

where do you get this idea from, just wondering?

"He," I answered, "who loves to contemplate truth…who is able to arrive at whatever remains ever constant. He who is capable of seeing the Whole is a philosopher; he who is not, is not."

Old 10-20-10   #8
The Black Elf

The OT is jampacked full of Magicians & Metta info once you understand the labels.

Many keys to understanding in the NT too,particularly *the harrowing of hell* by He Zeus.

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10   #9
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

well there have been magicians and mystics of various flavors in Judaism since...forever....

Old 10-20-10   #10
The Black Elf

Well the Inquisitions etc by the infallible Papacy are well documented,still dosen't answer the question *why?* they did it other than to steal stuff.Why bring it back now?

Come to think of it,why do the Judaeo's turn their back on mysticysm?

Preferring to label it *ineffible* or dump a load of misleading tags upon the whole process which is quite straightforward & well labelled?

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote